intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I tried it once but stopped because hungry sucks. I get moody when I'm real hungry. I guess hangry is the slang term but it got overused on mfp and I hate that word now.

I angrier when I'm overweight and unhappy lol so I can deal
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Harleyb87 wrote: »
    I tried it once but stopped because hungry sucks. I get moody when I'm real hungry. I guess hangry is the slang term but it got overused on mfp and I hate that word now.

I angrier when I'm overweight and unhappy lol so I can deal

Great thing is, I've done it for so long, I'm never even hungry anymore or obsess w/ thinking about food. I have to remind myself when to eat sometimes. I tend to push my daily fast to 20 hours on cardio days and 18 on weight lifting days. It's not exact everyday, but really just whenever I get a moment to eat. Really just happens naturally now.

It's nice being free from my life long food obsession and binge eating. Still occasionally eat in the morning on the rare occasion we're out with a group of friends and it doesn't affect me one bit or throw me off. IF'ing really was a game changer for me. I'd say it probably took a year of being dedicated to it, before it became as natural as breathing air.
  • EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    IF will do wonders for your insulin resistance, as will lifting weights. I've been doing IF 16:8 for the past month or so alongside resistance training. In all honesty I haven't really lost much weight but this was to be expected given the amount of crap I ate over the Christmas holidays. It's sort of what I planned because otherwise I would probably be 10+ pounds heavier than I am now. I've now moved on to ADF (Alternate Day Fasting) and I'm hoping this will give me a good kickstart in weight loss for the next few weeks. Good luck with whichever method you choose!
  • GemFromJannah
    GemFromJannah Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I am trying to find some new methods to help kick start my weight loss. I have heard mixed things about this method. Has anyone tried Intermittent fasting before? If so did it work for you and what kind did you do?

A large majority of Muslims have lived their life like this for over thousand of years. Their Propget would fast Monday's & Thursdays, so very practicing Muslims have copied this tradition. It is actually suspected to have some health benefits to it and these Muslims haven't complained of any negative side effects.

Recently nutritionists have discovered this way of eating and have created the 5:2 diet. Claiming it has health benefits.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just be sure to drink water through the day and eat good balanced meals when not fasting to ensure you're getting healthy nutrition via correct vitamins & minerals.

• Austintito
    Austintito Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of IF being so good is that usually when you work out you do it fasted and have your first meal afterwards? Like your body using your fat as energy instead of the food you ate. For me personally tho, I use IF when im dieting something about being full at the end of the day instead of eating a bunch of tiny meals. Getting my calories in 2 meals where im actually left full is satisfying to me.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I do IF when I need to change it up and it really helps me keep within my goals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    IF is one way to create a calorie deficit. I've used it and found it effective, but you still have to log your food and carry a calorie restriction. I don't know about anyone else, but I can easily demolish a day's worth of calories in just a few hours.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I found IF helped me to adhere to a calorie goal when cutting.
    The 5:2 version worked for me as everyday calorie restriction bores and frustrates me.

Also helped me recognise true hunger signals as opposed to eating through being bored, gready or "it's breakfast time so I'll eat breakfast".

I've also dabbled with the 16:8 version while maintaining and I find it an easy way to make small adjustments - after holidays for example.
  • NORTHSEA76
    NORTHSEA76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So much said here, mostly positive; hope you have had time to read it all, and hope you find your groove soon. You have the desire and the obvious intelligence.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I am trying to find some new methods to help kick start my weight loss. I have heard mixed things about this method. Has anyone tried Intermittent fasting before? If so did it work for you and what kind did you do?

Basically, it's a dietary protocol that utilizes specific periods of fasting followed by periods of eating where all of your daily calories are allotted to.

The most popular intermittent fasting diet approach is 16 hours of fasting followed by 8 hours of eating. (Markin Berkham of "Lean Gains" is one of several people who popularized this approach). Another more extreme version of IF is the "Warrior Diet" that uses a 20 hour fasting period and 4 hour eating period.

But does intermittent fasting work? Is intermittent fasting necessary for maximizing fat loss?

At the end of the day, fat loss is ultimately about maintaining a calorie deficit over time. Therefore, ANY diet plan that allows you to accomplish this will help you burn fat. For that reason, yes, intermittent fasting results will certainly be positive as long as it is carried out properly.

However, based on the available research it's highly doubtful that an intermittent fasting diet will be superior to any other approach as long as the overall calories and macronutrients are the same. Studies have continually shown that meal frequency and meal timing has no significant effect on basal metabolic rate, and my suggestion is to simply lay out your meals in whatever way works best for you.

Intermittent fasting benefits some people for the simple reason that it improves overall adherence to the diet (this is why you'll hear so many positive intermittent fasting reviews posted online). If having fasting windows and eating windows allows you to stick to your meal plan more closely, then by all means go for it. However, if you'd prefer to eat all throughout the day rather than use intermittent fasting for fat loss, that's fine too.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Nobody's talking about autophagy? IMO, it's the most interesting part of fasting.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Nobody's talking about autophagy? IMO, it's the most interesting part of fasting.

Absolutely!
    http://roguehealthandfitness.com/how-to-increase-autophagy-for-lifespan-extension/
    One characteristic of aging is the accumulation of damage, and this is largely due to the failure of autophagy to attain normal functional levels.
    From this statement, it can be seen that bringing levels of autophagy to youthful levels can ameliorate aging by clearing out damaged parts of the cell.

http://www.nature.com/cdd/journal/v16/n1/full/cdd2008139a.html
    The pathway protects cells against the accumulation of damaged organelles, protein aggregates, and microbes; protects cells against oncogenesis; protects cells against cancer therapies, protects cardiac cells against hemodynamic stress; and protects infected cells by activating immune defenses.
    Thus, the frequent presence of autophagy in dying cells may represent a failed attempt of cytoprotection, rather than a mechanistic contribution to cell death; hence, we propose that autophagy is largely a ‘cell death impostor.’
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting when my body hit a "normal" BMI and I was finding it more and more difficult to eat at a daily deficit because my activity levels went up this winter.

So I switched to 5:2, with maintenance days being my workout days, and the twice a week fast days being my rest days. I've found it really helpful so far; I lost about 5lbs October/November (at a loss of about .5-.7 a week, which is about right for me), and I'm looking to cut another 10-15 in 2016. I find I eat a little more the day after a fast (and a little less the day after that), so I always make sure to put at least 2 days between my fast days, and certainly never fast two days in a row.

TL;DR: It's a highly effective schedule -- for everyone -- but particularly for those looking to lose those few last pounds and are struggling with their deficit.
  • AlaskanIrish
    AlaskanIrish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-2-fat-loss-diet-for-lifters

Maybe try this whether you're exercising or not but hopefully you are (I haven't read all of the comments here)
  • jacey12300
    jacey12300 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I've been doing it a week now, we naturally fast during sleep anyway so as soon as 9 o clock hits I stop eating, have just a coffee in the morning and resume eating at lunchtime around 12:30 pm just something light and carry on with my allocated calories until 9pm again :) lost 7lbs the first week :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I think it works if you naturally fall into a 16:8 pattern like I do. I don't eat breakfast anyway, so waiting until 12 to eat, having a snack or two, and then dinner before 8 is easy. If you're the type who is starving when they wake up I wouldn't recommend it.

Agree with poster who said try out different things and see what works for you. Nothing will be magical, but something will come more naturally.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    How about eating in a way that suits you, without having to give it a label or without the need to follow someone else's 'prescribed' way of eating?
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been using the 5:2 IF for the last month. Sunday & Monday I restrict calorie intake to 600 cals. Usually all as a dinner and nothing else the rest of the day. 2000 cals a day for the remaining 5 days. Still a lot of tracking, but it's working for me. I needed to try something new to keep me motivated.