Building strength after long-term illness/inactivity?

Options
I'm wondering what's the best way to go about building strength after long-term illness and inactivity? What are the best exercises/workouts I can do to build strength and muscle, bearing in mind that I'm rather unfit and weakened now?

As a bit of a back story, I've been struggling with depression/anxiety issues for the last few years, and after having some trouble with medication I had chronic fatigue like symptoms for 6+ months. I've also always been a little overweight and have had glandular fever in the past which has recurred a few times in the last decade. Currently I'm 69 kg and would like to get down to 60-63 kg, although I'm not worried about doing so in a certain amount of time. I'd rather focus on building strength and muscle.

Over the last 3 months I've managed to build up to cycling 16 km 3-5 times a week (averaging 20 km/hr), I can walk for a couple of hours at a moderate pace and I also do yoga for 60-90 minutes once a week. I can't really afford to join a gym or get a personal trainer, up to 2 classes a week could be an option though. I also have adjustable dumbbells and a swiss ball at home.

Where should I start? I've considered maybe taking up a couple evening boxing classes a week, I've never tried boxing and I'm not sure if it's good for building strength and muscle? Are there any good online beginner/unfit at-home strength building programmes I could try? Should I focus mainly on doing lifting weights, or more cardio, or interval training? Help?!

Replies

• Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Should I maybe just start with some compound exercises using my dumbbells and swiss ball at home?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Have you tried aqua fit? It would be a good starting point. It will help with your flexibility, core, balance and posture. All good things to develop before going into something more challenging.

Nerdfitness is a good at home body weight programme. You can start by simplifying the moves ie: push ups against a wall to start then table or counter top, then on the floor from your knees then the full push up.

There is also a nice 15 min light hand weight routine by HasFit that would be good. War h the routine, take notes and break it down so you are exercising at your pace to begin with. If you can only manage one set at your own pace, that is great, build to being able to do all 3 along with the instructor.

Boxing, never done it, but in all honesty I would get a bit of strength, balance and mobility developed first. It is no good challenging yourself too much and ending up exhausted, or worse, injured.

The first 2 suggestions are from personal experience. I had never exercised and found them doable.

Cheers, h.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You can afford a couple of boxing classes a week but you can't afford the basic gym membership that would allow you to improve the strength in your entire body by doing a basic program like stronglifts?
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I'm confused. You can afford a couple of boxing classes a week but you can't afford the basic gym membership that would allow you to improve the strength in your entire body by doing a basic program like stronglifts?

She said she could like 2 classes a week. Gym memberships/personal trainers run $80+ a month (at least around here). Boxing classes could be cheaper, or maybe she doesn't know how much they are.

Either way, it doesn't matter to what reason. She asked for alternatives to a full gym membership, not being questioned. ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »

She said she could like 2 classes a week. Gym memberships/personal trainers run $80+ a month (at least around here). Boxing classes could be cheaper, or maybe she doesn't know how much they are.

Either way, it doesn't matter to what reason. She asked for alternatives to a full gym membership, not being questioned. ;)

If people asking questions on the forums can't be questioned then they're going to get lots of terrible advice
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    Gym memberships in my area are about $30-$40 per week, I can do boxing for $10 a class, and yes that extra $10-$20 per week would be pushing it
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    Gym memberships in my area are about $30-$40 per week, I can do boxing for $10 a class, and yes that extra $10-$20 per week would be pushing it

Ouch. I'm paying $19.50 per month. I can only go Tues, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, but that works out perfectly for my schedule and I find I am going more because, except for Saturday, I can't not go with the excuse that I will go tomorrow.
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    I'm going to try this training plan for a few weeks before moving on to any kind of intense plans... http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/easiest-strength-training-plan-ever