TDEE and SL 5x5

Options
Hi! I'm planning on starting Strong lifts this week and wanted to make sure I'm eating the right amount of calories.

I did the TDEE calculator and got 3,323 for exercising 3-5 times a week. Then I subtracted 15% since I'm so overweight and got 2,845. Does this seem like a correct goal to follow to lose weight while lifting?

TIA!

Replies

• always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would suggest setting your goal at sedentary when calculating your TDEE - then eating some if not all calories back on the days you exercise. This way you are still hitting your nutritional/eating goals even on your rest days. Just a suggestion!!!
  • kaorinchan
    kaorinchan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! How do you track calories for weight lifting? I can't find an accurate way to calculate how many calories are burned during lifting :s
    I would suggest setting your goal at sedentary when calculating your TDEE - then eating some if not all calories back on the days you exercise. This way you are still hitting your nutritional/eating goals even on your rest days. Just a suggestion!!!

• Kkelso1119
    Kkelso1119 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suggest buying a heart rate monitor. I use a Polar one. It's really the best way to accurately calculate calories burned from all exercise, including strength training. I find MFP's estimates for my cardio calorie burn to be off frequently so my heart rate monitor keeps me on track. Good luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This is 100% incorrect. TDEE includes all activity.

OP, that Calorie count doesn't seem correct - although I/we can't be sure, as we don't have your stats. Which calculator did you use?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Kkelso1119 wrote: »
    I suggest buying a heart rate monitor. I use a Polar one. It's really the best way to accurately calculate calories burned from all exercise, including strength training. I find MFP's estimates for my cardio calorie burn to be off frequently so my heart rate monitor keeps me on track. Good luck!

A HR monitor will be wildly wrong for weight lifting. HR monitors are best suited for steady state cardio (walking, running, biking, rowing, eliptical, etc... all at a relatively constant pace)

OP: With no information about height, age, weight, I can't give you my estimate so I can't answer your question. I'm 5'11" 31yo, male, and 176lb and I exercise 3-5 times/week and my TDEE is ~2700. I know this based on measuring calories in and weight changes. However, some TDEE calculators will give me ~2700, while others will give me over 3000 with the same parameters. This is because they may use different equations to do initial estimates, and then differences extrapolate from there.

You could plug your stats into MFP and set the goal to maintain weight. Then add the average number of exercise calories to that and you get TDEE. You could also use other TDEE calculators for comparison as well. Since there are various BMR estimation equations you will probably get different results. You can then pick something in the middle and see how it goes.

If you want to be more accurate, then monitor weight changes over 6-8 weeks and log as accurately as possible. Then take your average daily weight loss, divide by 500, and add that to your average calories eaten per day and it'll give you a more accurate TDEE.
  • kaorinchan
    Options
    Here's what I got from fitness frog, I should deduct 15% from this TDEE to get how many calories I should be eating to lose weight while lifting, right? Thanks all for your input already!

9yviat7y64ws.png
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That looks better, although I'm not sure just how accurate it is. Remember, this is simply a rough estimator (although they call it a calculator) based on averages - and, as mentioned, uses one of a number of different formulas.

In your situation, you could (but don't have to) probably go with TDEE - 20%, which gives you 2363 Cals to consume daily. Recalculate after you lose 10 lbs. Try that for a month or so and compare the amount of weight you expect to lose (based on your calculations) to what you've really lost. If it's close, keep on keeping on. If not, then adjust up (if you're losing considerably more weight than expected) or down (if losing a bit less than expected).
  • kaorinchan
    Options
    Thank you!! I think I'll start with -15% since I'm just getting started, but if I feel like I'm not losing enough, I'll try -20%. Thanks again!
    TR0berts wrote: »
    That looks better, although I'm not sure just how accurate it is. Remember, this is simply a rough estimator (although they call it a calculator) based on averages - and, as mentioned, uses one of a number of different formulas.

In your situation, you could (but don't have to) probably go with TDEE - 20%, which gives you 2363 Cals to consume daily. Recalculate after you lose 10 lbs. Try that for a month or so and compare the amount of weight you expect to lose (based on your calculations) to what you've really lost. If it's close, keep on keeping on. If not, then adjust up (if you're losing considerably more weight than expected) or down (if losing a bit less than expected).