Couch to Half by June?

Options
I really want to participate in a half marathon sponsored by my work this Summer but I don't know if this is a realistic goal. The most I have ever run is 5 miles and that was several years ago. Basically starting from scratch. Registration opens next week....thoughts??

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    We font know your fitness level, do it's really hard to say. How long has it been since you ran 5 mi? You could consider walking part of it if needed. Sometimes there are shorter events like a 10k or 5k offered as part of the main event. You could find out if that's an option if you don't feel ready for a half.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    6 months to get ready for a half marathon is more than reasonable for most people. If you are in good enough health to start training then I would absolutely register and get started!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You can do it, don't rush it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I think it's very realistic. Start building up your weekly mileage now. Start with 3 miles 3x a week and gradually build it up by adding a mile to one of your runs (and eventually you can add 10% of your weekly mileage). Run all your miles at an easy conversational pace. One of your runs will become your long run (it will be your longest run of the week and should become 13 miles 2 weeks before your race). This long run should at any time represent only 25-35% of your weekly mileage so you build up the miles of all your runs together.

Make sure you get at least a days rest in between runs in the beginning. You may add a fourth day of running later on. If you don't feel recovered by your next run then insert a cut back week where you subtract about 20-30% of your weekly mileage for only a week to give your body some extra rest. You will want to plan a cutback week exery 3 or 4 weeks anyway.

Send me a message if you have any questions about making a training plan or adapting an existing plan that you found online.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It seems to me *starting* at 3 miles 3 times a week would be tough for someone starting from scratch. Most newbie running programs take 8-10 weeks to get to 3 miles.
  • deniseteas
    deniseteas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So happy to hear this I also want to do a marathon this year in May with my son who is 10 and ran one last year with his school.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are in decent shape it shouldn't be an issue. I went from running 1-2 miles at a time in January to completing a HM at the end of May. Just take it slow or you will risk injury (trust me on this ;) ). Good luck.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    deniseteas wrote: »
    So happy to hear this I also want to do a marathon this year in May with my son who is 10 and ran one last year with his school.

I don't think you meant a marathon. That is 26.2 miles. Most marathons have an age restriction of at least 18 years old. So I doubt your 10 year old son did one through his school. Do you mean a 5K or a mile fun run?
    earth_echo wrote: »
    It seems to me *starting* at 3 miles 3 times a week would be tough for someone starting from scratch. Most newbie running programs take 8-10 weeks to get to 3 miles.

They did say they at one time ran a 5 miles, so I assume 3 miles should be an OK place to start over at.
    If 3 miles is not doable, then the OP needs to go out for a trial run and see how far they can run at a conversational easy pace, then come back here and report.

• YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I think it's very realistic. Start building up your weekly mileage now. Start with 3 miles 3x a week and gradually build it up by adding a mile to one of your runs (and eventually you can add 10% of your weekly mileage). Run all your miles at an easy conversational pace. One of your runs will become your long run (it will be your longest run of the week and should become 13 miles 2 weeks before your race). This long run should at any time represent only 25-35% of your weekly mileage so you build up the miles of all your runs together.

Make sure you get at least a days rest in between runs in the beginning. You may add a fourth day of running later on. If you don't feel recovered by your next run then insert a cut back week where you subtract about 20-30% of your weekly mileage for only a week to give your body some extra rest. You will want to plan a cutback week exery 3 or 4 weeks anyway.

Send me a message if you have any questions about making a training plan or adapting an existing plan that you found online.

Great info! I messaged you in hopes that you could help me set a goal for January!
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Good luck! 6 months should be enough time, as long as you keep up with your training, avoid any over strenuous cross training (no stair machine etc). There are a lot of great running training guides out there that can help you set a schedule and time line. The most difficult part is sticking with it! You can do it!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I would say that's more than realistic! Make sure you build up your milage gently, and be realistic about your goal for the half (e.g. it might be your aim just to get round rather than do it in a certain time). I went from couch to half a couple of years ago using a 'couch to 5km' programme then an 18 week half marathon programme that built up slowly and that was perfect. Use Google or Pinterest to find one that works for you and your schedule, then go for it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 is a wealth of good information.
    I think it should be fine barring injury or underlying condition. What he suggested is a great plan.
    make sure your shoes are up to the task
    make sure you go slow
    make sure you take rest days
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Assuming complete novice status; Amazon has; Personal Running Trainer:
    4 weeks to one mile
    8 weeks to 5K and
    10 weeks to half marathon.
    A total of 22 weeks couch to half marathon. 6 months is doable. I believe you will be able to shave a week or two, or so, off due to some overlap.
  • oremgirl1
    oremgirl1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    4 weeks to one mile
    8 weeks to 5K and
    A total of 22 weeks couch to half marathon. 6 months is doable. I believe you will be able to shave a week or two, or so, off due to some overlap.

I signed up today and have 25 weeks until race day. This sounds realistic to me. Thanks!
  • pondee629
    Options
    Good luck. Keep us involved.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    4 weeks to one mile
    8 weeks to 5K and

The average complete novice will get nowhere close to a 5k in 8 weeks. Most c25k style programs will have you running for 30 minutes in 8 weeks, assuming you are not completely out of shape when starting (i.e. no health issues). But it is very unlikely the average person will be running 5K in 30 minutes in this period.
    Not saying OP should not start running, just that she needs to understand that a c25K 8 week program has a misleading name, and that the average person will not be running a 5k in 8 weeks. Especially when there is a lot of weight to lose to begin with.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    deniseteas wrote: »

A 10 year old ran a marathon with school????
  • pondee629
    Options
    aggelikik

No one says that she'd be running the 5K in 30 minutes, just that by the end of the 8 week program, she'd be able to run a 5K. The program I suggested, also, has her getting to 5 K, from novice status, in 12 weeks, starting with 4 weeks to a mile. Say what you will. It worked for me when I was 60. Granted I ran in high school, college and USMC but it had been decades since. Started the mile program, did the 8 weeks to 5 K and got my 5K in just about 30. But it was a split time as my runs were 4.5, 4 miles in 44 minutes with a half mile walking cool down. If the program is followed, you'll get to 5K. I haven't tried the HM program, I top my runs at 6+miles.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    try the c25k NHS programme which is free that takes 9 weeks then has a programme for after it, the app is free and lets you listen to music in the background or download the podcast, however make sure you always properly stretch before exercise! I got up to week 5 before an injury (not running related) and therefore could complete it - and according to my physio will likely never run for a long period of time
    I think a half is a achievable - often its the stamina required most of all
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Check out Hal Higdon's novice half-marathon training plan. It has a fairly gentle progression and the goal is to finish rather than worrying about time.