Eating 1x day to stay under calories

Options

Replies

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Good response @joolsmd - I'm on 1200 a day (only just back but last time I was tracking I was on 1200 per day and eating 3 meals and snacks).

Big question - are you exercising? I know some people will shout down this view but if you burn off say 200 on an exercise bike or jogging or whatever floats your boat that's more calories you can eat. CICO as they say.

Eggs are cheap, filling and versatile.

Cook up a big batch of something you love and freeze it in single portions, take it out as and when. Tinned chopped tomatoes are a great sauce base, low in calories, high in veg content (obviously). Ideas include:

1.chorizo and bean stew (chorizo ring + tin of tomatoes + tin of mixed beans + 1 onion + 3 garlic cloves + paprika/chilli powder/seasoning)
    2. fish curry (cheap fish - whatever is local and available to you + tinned tomato + curry spices (cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger are favourites of mine) + optional fish stock cube)
    3. quorn mince chilli (quorn mince + tin of tomatoes + chilli powder + tinned beans)
    4. beef stew (cheap cuts of beef/stewing beef/whatever + tinned tomato + carrots, suede, parsnip, onion, garlic + stock + marmite (if you fancy it) + herbs (whatever's in the cupboard/garden + spoon of wholegrain or English mustard)

Buy cheap cuts of meat - they work best in slow cooked stews which are also super filling. Use seasonal or frozen veg.

Forget the diet pills. If it was as simple as that we'd all be on them.

If you're only going to eat once a day (which sounds like my own personal idea of hell), 1400 is a helluva lot of calories to be throwing at one meal!

One day is nothing but the idea of tracking is to spot where you eat/drink more than you think. 300 cal spread across the day can be done less drastically than cutting an entire meal (or two).

I am trying to find exercises I can do with a partially attached left ACL. (I was ambushed by a car while on foot some years back and never could afford the surgery to get my ACL reattached on the one end) so ATM, I am not doing much in the way of exercising. I also have the limitations of a small space and a horror of exercising in front of other people. (I hate my body. Hated it when I was skinny too but at least I was healthier when I was skinny.)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    NerineLuna wrote: »
    My usual lunch at the moment is 2 whole wheat wraps, one with peanut butter + apple slices (I like granny smith because they're slightly sour), one with chicken/turkey (those sandwich/deli slices) + bell pepper. You will use about half a small apple or half a bell pepper per wrap. The cost of peanut butter is rather negligible, and you can buy a whole bunch of whole wheat wraps once they're on sale. For those two wraps, I come in at about 400-500 calories, depending on how much butter and peanut butter you use.

Quick totals and cost estimates:
    Let's say you're eating this every day - I would not recommend eating the same thing every day, but just for cost analysis - that's 7x2 = 14 wraps. So 3.5 bell peppers and 3.5 apples. Make that 7 apples so you can eat the other half of the apple together with your lunch, which will make you feel more filled without adding a whole lot of calories. One jar of peanut butter will last you a couple of weeks, and one package of sandwich/deli sliced chicken/turkey should probably last you a week as well.

14 wraps = 3 dollars
    4 bell peppers = 2 dollar
    7 apples = 2 dollars
    chicken/turkey = 1 dollar
    1 jar of peanut butter = 2 dollars
    Total = 10 dollars, 8 if you already have the peanut butter.

So depending on your local prices (and whether you can stock up on things like wraps and peanut butter during a sale), you would come in around the same price as your current ramen, a bit lower on calories, and on average just a whole lot healthier than plain ramen.

Chicken/turkey $1 dollar? seriously? for how much exactly? Im not sure I would trust eating that.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just feel frustrated because a) I have a budget that I have to stick with and b) I am the only person who is honestly trying to lose weight in the house so I have to cater to other people's food choices and try to lose weight which is why my brain tripped to eating only 1X/day and using appetite suppressants.

a) is understandable. b) is not. You DO NOT have to cater to other people's food choices. How badly do you want this? If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse. b) is an excuse. Sorry, but that's the blunt truth.
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Since I have tried pretty much every which way to lose weight, I think everyone has their own best fit. Some people can eat less often and succeed. I definitely need to be refuel every 2-3 hours to lose weight. I tried intermittent fasting and that was a disaster while three meals a day left me too hungry as well. Meanwhile three distinct times I have done six meals a day with great success. It is a lot of work to prep but worth it. You should be able to make it work at $50 a week as well. I live on a tight budget as well. A typical day for me with a carb and protein with each meal. I try to incorporate vegetables as often as possible too.

1. protein shake with fruit. (200 - 250 cals)
    2. two slices of wheat bread with 2.5 oz of tuna. (210 cals)
    3. Greek yogurt. (150 cals)
    4. Six triscuits with cheese. (230 cals)
    5. 3 oz sirloin, 1/2 baked potato, roasted broccoli. (320 cals)
    6. 16 oz of skim or 1% milk. (160 cals)

1320 calories
    Approximately 100 + grams protein and 100 + grams of carbs - 35-40 grams of fat.

I have lost about 1.5 - 2 lbs a week and 28 lbs since October.

I also use hellofresh which provides three recipes for two people (really makes four servings - delicious healthy). I can send a free coupon if you want to try it for a week (this is not a pushy sales thing just a healthy suggestion).
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    vczk2t15 wrote: »
    $50/week would allow you to get a LOT of good foods that you can make, NOT ramen noodles. is it just you? if yes, then you have NO excuse for eating 2 ramen noodles and only 1 meal. you can plan meals and snacks and get really good stuff for $50/week. Heck, me and my husband have a budget of $50/week and we make it work easily.

It's me, DD (who is 8 and picky), DH (also picky), and my MIL.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    To echo everyone else, it's a bad idea. There is nothing wrong with carbohydrates, but they don't keep you full like the other macros (fat and protein) do. You mentioned carbs are the bulk of your diet due to your perception of them being so cheap, so that's part of your issue.

I eat about 1600-1700 calories per day, and it's probably at about $50/week or so, maybe less. I prepare all my own food (as you should) because it's far less expensive and you have complete control over the ingredients.

I recommend you spend your Sundays meal prepping for the week. Use this website: http://www.budgetbytes.com/ which is all about budget-conscious cooking. Portion out your food for 5-7 days (leftovers keep fine for far longer than this despite what people say).

Choose recipes like Slow Cooker Italian Chicken and Peppers or Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Bowls to get started. Buy the packs of chicken at Cosco. 8 pounds is about 25 bucks and will give you 2 weeks(!) of lunches and dinners.

For breakfast, get some cartons of egg whites at the store, mix them with an egg or two, and scramble them. You can then add whatever you want and keep the variety going forever. In my case, this morning I heated some oil in a pan and threw in some chopped veggies (mushroom, onion, bell pepper) and a handful of spinach. Once the veggies were soft/cooked down, I added some Sriracha, and then the egg mixture and black pepper. A few minutes later I had a huge amount of filling and tasty egg scramble that amounted to ~400 calories.

What you want (high quality, easy to prepare and store, and cheap food) is well within your reach. I do it every week. You just need to change your approach. Feel free to add me so you can see what my diary looks like (EDIT: I made my diary public). You'll usually see three meals a day with snacks totaling 1600 or so calories.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    if you only have $50/week for 4 people, diet pills are a definite waste of $. that $ is better spent on foods that you can make bulk meals and snacks from
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »
    I just feel frustrated because a) I have a budget that I have to stick with and b) I am the only person who is honestly trying to lose weight in the house so I have to cater to other people's food choices and try to lose weight which is why my brain tripped to eating only 1X/day and using appetite suppressants.

a) is understandable. b) is not. You DO NOT have to cater to other people's food choices. How badly do you want this? If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse. b) is an excuse. Sorry, but that's the blunt truth.

It's also unrealistic in a lot of households.

OP, we all have challenges. Most of us are on budgets. Many of us have other mouths to feed. You're new to this... give it time. You'll learn, you'll adapt, your family will adjust. It takes some practice. You don't just wake up one morning, decide to make a change, and instantly be great at things.

Patience my grasshopper, patience.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled Eggs are convenient snacks that will hopefully curb your appetite and yet low in sodium.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cheap? Drinking Tea and water of course to keep calories down.

On $50 a week...

Box of Cereal = $3-4
    7 Plain Chobani Yogurts 5.3 oz = $7 ---- or get the 32 oz for $5
    Get some bananas, apples, berries for the week = $5
    Smart Balance Chunky Peanut Butter = $3.25 (14 servings of 2 tablespoons)
    Loaf of Arnold Whole Grain Oat Nut Bread = $5.20 (enough in the package for 8 sandwiches)

Are you with me so far? Your cost for breakfast and lunch per day is $3.49 for the above.

Dinner/Supper

Box of Noodles = $1.50 - $2
    Package of Spinach or Spring Mix Greens = $2.50 - $3
    Two cans of Starkist Low Sodium tuna packed in water = $5.16 ($2.58 x 2 cans)
    Two chicken boneless/skinless breasts = $3.50
    One can of salmon = $2.50 - $3.50 for a 14.5 oz can!!!
    One small 6 oz sirloin steak (can cut in half to use it for two evening meals) = $3.75
    Chunk of Feta Cheese = $5.25

Total Cost $47.11 plus tax

That's $6.73 cost per day to eat within your budget and provide enough filling calories to meet your goals. You could swap out a dozen eggs and toast for variety so that you two week calendar would include choices of cereal, fruit, toast, eggs, yoghurt. And two eggs with a slice of toast has even less calories than the cereal/fruit/yoghurt combo.

Bowl of cereal and some yoghurt for breakfast (a little fruit as well). 350-400 calories
    Peanut better sandwich for lunch. 350 calories
    Veggies and noodles or spinach salad for dinner (noodles about 200-250 calories per serving, spinach leaves raw or Spring MIx calories are about 7 calories per cup) with some protein - (can of Starkist Low Sodium tuna packed in water - 120 calories, chicken breast - 280 calories, sirloin steak - 440 calories, salmon - 130 calories, or chunk of Feta cheese - 200 calories)

Days Total = 1300-1400 calories

Throw in a box of tea bags $2.98 for 50 bags
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Cheap?

On $50 a week...

Box of Cereal = $3-4
    Loaf of Arnold Whole Grain Oat Nut Bread = $5.20 (enough in the package for 8 sandwiches)

Are you with me so far? Your cost for breakfast and lunch per day is $3.49 for the above.

Dinner/Supper

One small 6 oz sirloin steak (can cut in half to use it for two evening meals) = $3.75

Bowl of cereal and some yoghurt for breakfast (a little fruit as well). 350-400 calories
    Veggies and noodles or spinach salad for dinner (noodles about 200-250 calories per serving, spinach leaves raw or Spring MIx calories are about 7 calories per cup) with some protein - (can of Starkist Low Sodium tuna packed in water - 120 calories, chicken breast - 280 calories, sirloin steak - 440 calories, salmon - 130 calories, or chunk of Feta cheese - 200 calories)

How do I stretch that for 4 people though?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Cheap?

On $50 a week...

Box of Cereal = $3-4

Dinner/Supper

Let's be real.....If you can really only budget 12.50/week per person for food, its not going to happen. Im sure you probably don't want to, but do you mind sharing your general budget numbers?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I think my best advice would be to buy cheap things like brown rice, dried beans, pasta, frozen veggies, and something like a whole chicken. Then make a huge batch of soup, or a casserole, or some pasta dish (a whole chicken here is $4 on sale or more when not, but cooking it whole will give you enough meat for a week's worth of dishes if you don't use a ton), freeze in individual portions, eat as needed. The only cheap things that don't freeze very well are potatoes. You can throw anything at all into soup, I've made soup with frozen spinach, rice, chicken, and frozen veggies; chicken, beans or pasta, frozen veggies...

I know all about shoe-string budgets, and doing stuff like this gives you and your family the most nutritional bang for your buck. I'd probably live off cup o' soup if it were just me, but i have 2 tweens that i want to eat veggies, haha.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »
    Cheap?

On $50 a week...

Box of Cereal = $3-4

Dinner/Supper

Let's be real.....If you can really only budget 12.50/week per person for food, its not going to happen. Im sure you probably don't want to, but do you mind sharing your general budget numbers?

I am not comfortable doing that here. Sorry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to stay on budget if you cook.

I usually will just make something for my kid as my husband works nights so it doesn't make sense to cook this whole meal affair when it's just me and her. She doesn't eat much and it's easier to throw a pb and j or some such in her general direction then to try to do an entire meal with sides and everything that my husband won't even be there for. Only time I cook a real meal is if he is off work and home to actually eat it.

IDK if it's relevant but I am also battling untreated depression which, depending on the day, makes me want to eat everything in sight or not a darn thing at all.

Yes, your depression is absolutely relevant. It permeates your posts and is likely affecting your thinking. You may be surprised how easier this is once you get your depression under control.

Check out our Depression thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10058170/depression-and-weight-loss/p1
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    [quote=

I am trying to find exercises I can do with a partially attached left ACL. (I was ambushed by a car while on foot some years back and never could afford the surgery to get my ACL reattached on the one end) so ATM, I am not doing much in the way of exercising. I also have the limitations of a small space and a horror of exercising in front of other people. (I hate my body. Hated it when I was skinny too but at least I was healthier when I was skinny.)[/quote]

Gosh, sounds horrid. I've got young kids, husband works long hours so it's difficult to get out to classes so last time around (yes, I've rebounded) I was using my indoor exercise spin bike. This time around I'm also incorporating some online tutorials and classes which yesterday I did on my own (ok, with the dogs!) in my dining room. It was free and I didn't feel self conscious. Didn't need any special kit - used a big bottle of milk as a weight. The bonus is that it's free!

I used this one but have had a few others recommended in a different post: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Cheap?

On $50 a week...

Box of Cereal = $3-4

Dinner/Supper

You didn't say that in your original post which I was responding....
    Worst idea ever? I started tracking yesterday and thought I was doing OK only to see I was 300 calories over goal for the day. I am not even sure how to stay full on 1400 calories a day with a limited grocery budget. ($50/week) I am debating just not eating save for dinner and and getting some diet pills to crush my appetite.

4 people on $50 a week? Lots of websites pop up that meet that goal - in terms of budget and food. You'll have to do the calorie calculations to see if they would meet your 1400 calorie per day goal, but I'm sure that would be the easiest part of the equation.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/how-i-feed-our-family-of-5-for-50-per-week.html

http://www.yourbeavercounty.com/allies-weekly-meal-plan-feeding-a-family-of-four-on-50-per-week/

http://www.grocerybudget101.com/cheapeats/50-weekly-menus-8/

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/06/one-week-50-meal-plan-for-a-family-of-four/

Skip the diet pills to crush your appetite. Some nice tea with caffeine in the morning and mid-afternoon should take care of that. And drink lots of water.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I think many, many people deal with this (living with someone who isn't health-minded - I know I do.) I feel like a person can make excuses for everything, but excuses are why you don't see progress.

You also have to realize that your daughter needs healthy meals, too. Just because your hubs isn't home, doesn't mean you can't cook something nutritious for you & her. She needs to see her role model making healthy recipes. Let her help you! She will learn healthy choices just from cooking with you. I know my mom didn't show me ANY cooking in my life, & I'm 25 & just learned how to hard boil an egg. If I would have grown up seeing healthy meals being prepared, I'd have known how to make them myself & not have made bad choices that led to being overweight.

Pop some chicken breasts in the slow cooker in the morning. When they are done, add some bbq sauce or Caesar dressing or experiment with other flavors or eat them plain! You do not want to just eat ramen in your day. Ramen has a ton of sodium, which makes your body thirsty, which can trigger the brain into thinking you are hungry. Drink lots of water. A lot of times, we are just thirsty but our mind is telling us we are hungry.

Be that great role model to your daughter. Show her healthy options. Let her cook with you & that can be your guys' activity in the evening. If you want a healthier life, you'll get one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

I used to blame cooking for my fiance and his mother on my weight gain. I was wrong. I have to think more about what I'm eating when I cook for others, but I've lost 23 pounds since accepting responsibility for what I eat.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sorry - totally didn't address the ACL thing. My husband had his reconstructed a year or so ago (many thanks NHS) and I was amazed at how soon he was on his bike (missed a whole season of rugby though) - I thought it would be awful for his knee but he said it's perfect as it's the natural movement for the joint so good for strengthening. Not ideal in your situation I'm guessing though. Could your doctor give you any advice? Or you could post a new thread on the exercise board - I'm sure someone there could help or has been in the same situation. A physiotherapist or someone. (I know nothing!)