Getting started AGAIN after x mas

Options
So started again this week. Only want to get 1 stone off I used to be 14st 8 now am 11st1 but this has been a stop and start progress over a year and half but want to stick to up now. Anyone have any ideas what I can have instead of bread

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Depends on when you eat bread? Which meal, accompanying what else?
  • shannonshardai87
    shannonshardai87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's just easy for me to grab a ham sandwich for lunch but I no bread is really bad to eat everyday. I have looked at wraps and pitta breads but they still seem just as high in calories
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Who told you bread is bad? If it fits in your calories and you're not hungry at the end of the day, you're fine.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's not the bread that's bad, it's eating too many calories that makes us gain weight. You can still have your bread in your sandwich if that's what you like. But track all your foods and see which ones you can eat less of, and stay within your calorie goals.

I have bread and/or chips and/or chocolate EVERY day, but I take care to stay within my calories and it's worked for me and many others here on MFP.

Good luck!
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I had 5 slices of bread lol
  • olsogo
    olsogo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is not realistic to give up things you like. I no longer look at health and fitness as a "diet" or a temporary fix. It is a lifestyle change and as long as you stay active and eat within your calorie range you will lose weight and not feel deprived.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    olsogo wrote: »
    It is not realistic to give up things you like. I no longer look at health and fitness as a "diet" or a temporary fix. It is a lifestyle change and as long as you stay active and eat within your calorie range you will lose weight and not feel deprived.

^^^^SO TRUE!!!
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I cut out alot of bread, but still consume it occasionally. The only reason I cut it out was to trim out calories and leave room for other foods I enjoy more. You cut out 140 calories when you just roll the ham around cheese, pickles and mustard and leave off the bread. I also take the top piece off a hamburger or have none at all when making at home, but put on stuff like feta cheese and bacon and just eat with a fork.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    So you take the top off a burger (70 calories?) and replace it with feta cheese and bacon? I bet it tastes way better than the bun but it would be way more calories - better eating the bun?
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    actually, it does not take much feta to get a good flavor, and i use the real bacon crumbles so its the same amt of calories ish, but much better flavor.
    At home is where I do this, and I don't use a bun at all. Its when I am at a restaurant I take the top bun off, cut the burger in half and double up so the bottom is the top also (that make sense). The buns at restaurants are huge anyway.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and a titchy 5ft so I'm on the dreaded 1200 calories a day but I still eat some bread. I buy uncut wholegrain so I get more fibre and can cut the loaf thinner than the pre-sliced bread. I weigh every slice.

I also don't bother with burger buns when making my own burgers. I make a lovely tomato and chilli salsa and have it with a big mixed salad and some homemade chips [fries].
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I buy the low carb pita or lavosh or tortilla. Look for the bread with less calories or thin cut. lol for tortillas that are low calories. Make a flax loaf. Or learn to do things bread less. Use romaine or Bibb lettuce for wraps make meat Rollie's make pb n j with cottage cheese in a bowl or I like chopped banana pb and jelly all mixed up. Corn tortillas have less cal too but not very flexible. Kale roll ups too.
  • shannonshardai87
    shannonshardai87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow thank u everyone for all u comments made me feel like I can do this and always dnt have to always stop eating bread which is my down fall thanks again
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i like bread.

there are also low calorie bread options, which is what i usually opt for.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If I want a sandwich, I use romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread. Saves a lot of calories! I make several mini-sandwiches with them, so for ham sandwiches, I'd use the same amount but slice it up to make 3 or more lettuce wraps. Especially great with tuna salad. I also use lettuce leaves for hot dogs and hamburgers. It is a bit messy, but yummy!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    If I want a sandwich, I use romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread. Saves a lot of calories! I make several mini-sandwiches with them, so for ham sandwiches, I'd use the same amount but slice it up to make 3 or more lettuce wraps. Especially great with tuna salad. I also use lettuce leaves for hot dogs and hamburgers. It is a bit messy, but yummy!

ill take my bread thanks lol

i know, some people like the whole lettuce wrap thing but i just dont see the point myself.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have found a 12 grain bread that I really like that is only 45 cal a slice so for 90 cal I can have a sandwich on "real" bread and not a tortilla that has more cals.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Love me some wholemeal bread, I tried to cut it out entirely but couldn't, whenever someone made toast it made me crave it so now I just have it. I used to eat white bread but now I'm totally fine with wholemeal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My favorite is rye bread.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you want the bread, eat the bread :]
    Just track it.