need help from LOW CARBERS

Options
OK last week I kicked butt limiting carbs and FINALLY seeing the scale move after a 2 month stall.

1 kink in it all today. Weighed in for the Twilight challenge and was up 5 lbs.

Is it due to my TOM or the fact that I didn't start Atkins with the induction and just started limiting carbs? It got resuts and I went lower on the carbs but maybe I should have started at the start to give my mody more momentum in losing but 20 carbs a day for 2 weeks seems impossible.

If you are doing Atkins do you bother to count calories or fat or just focus on carbs?

PLEASE PLEASE, no carb/Atkins bashing here....this is what is working for me as a PCOS and IR woman who is already at the gym 6 days a week and in the weight room and all of that. I could float away in how much water I drink and I am limiting sodium so I don't think that is where I need help.

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• 5weeks
    5weeks Posts: 38
    Options
    I just started low carb this week and am curious to see any answers:flowerforyou:
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of following a post bariatric surgery diet. High in protein, low in carbs.

Here's the rule of thumb on how I use my carbs - I use them for breakfast. 1/2 piece of Pepperidge carb 15 grain bread with some PB or an egg (whichever I'm craving, usually PB). Then I have a piece of fish at lunch and chicken for dinner. I'm loosing on average of 2 pounds a day.

But that's my suggestion. Eat them early so you can work them off during the day.

I wish you the best.

Eva
  • makeachange22
    Options
    probably your period, it always makes you gain 5 pounds i dont weigh in during my period
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Dukan (basically Atkins but low fat) and having better results than I did when I tried Atkins. I haven't had any gains, Htough to be fair I've only been doing it a couple of weeks, so I can only assume it's your TOTM. I don't know why (you'd think at 36 I might!) but know we do retain water at this time, so I reckon once it's passed, you'll be down the 5lb...and then some, probably, if you've continued with the plan. I'll be interested to know how you go next weigh in/week.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I have basically been doing low carb for over 25 years. Contrary to popular opinion, I have had NO health issues... haven't even had so much as a cold in 25 years. Unbelievable. My friends have given up preaching to me that my lifestyle is unhealthy, because I'm walking proof to the contrary!

My low carb routine is also low fat and low calorie. I used to count my carbs (30 to 60 per day) but I don't bother counting anymore. I had never counted calories before I joined MFP. Not the easiest thing to do, but it works for me.

I would come up with a routine that satisfies you, give you adequate energy, and don't sweat the details.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm another PCOS girl who needs to start proper low carb! I'll be interested to see what others also say about low carb etc!

Good luck!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    It can be easy to underestimate caloric intake on a low carb diet. That's been my (recent) experience with weight stalls.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    When I did it successfully, I stayed between 25-30 net carbs a day. NOTE: sugar alcohols often stalled me. I did much better with subtracting natural fiber counts to achieve my goal.
  • cyfairslam
    cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started Phase 1 of South Beach on Monday June 6th and have lost 9.5 lbs in the first 10 days.

I am basically eating nothing but lean meat, vegetables, salads, a few nuts and low fat cheese and yogart. I am not getting many carbs and not counting the calories at all. However, I am fairly sure I have been hanging around the 1200-1500 calorie a day mark.

Only negative is that I have walked 9 holes of golf in the heat and felt pretty weak through most of it. I feel fine during my normal work day.

I will start adding a little fruit and complex carbs next week.
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    OK last week I kicked butt limiting carbs and FINALLY seeing the scale move after a 2 month stall.

1 kink in it all today. Weighed in for the Twilight challenge and was up 5 lbs.

Is it due to my TOM or the fact that I didn't start Atkins with the induction and just started limiting carbs? It got resuts and I went lower on the carbs but maybe I should have started at the start to give my mody more momentum in losing but 20 carbs a day for 2 weeks seems impossible.

If you are doing Atkins do you bother to count calories or fat or just focus on carbs?

PLEASE PLEASE, no carb/Atkins bashing here....this is what is working for me as a PCOS and IR woman who is already at the gym 6 days a week and in the weight room and all of that. I could float away in how much water I drink and I am limiting sodium so I don't think that is where I need help.

Thanks in Advance!

Very good question.

I am familiar with Atkins having lost a significant amount of weight prior to my Dominican Republic trip last fall.

One thing you need to now about Atkins is first off, the initial weight loss is water. At first it gives you a boost of moral and confidence but that water weight comes back as soon as you go back to normal carb eating! I found about 3-4 pounds.

I've been here for 35 days and have lost 9 pounds. There is no subsitute for a healthy diet combined with exercise. Atkins, in my experience is not a healthy well balanced diet (during induction).

Regarding you comment about counting calories on Atkins:
    The answer is yes, one pound equal 3,500 calories any way you slice it. The difference on Atkins is that your body is using it's energy stores from fat not carbs.

Another IMPORTANT thing you should consider is watching your intake of foods high in fat while on Atkins. Everyone talks about being able to eat bacon and so forth. But if your body is using fat for fuel, any fat you feed it will result in it using that fat instead of body fat stores. My wife had this problem when she did Atkins because she was eating high fat foods and despite being in Ketosis her body used the fat she was eating not her body fat.

I found high intensity cardio on Atkins particularly beneficial to burning those fat calories while in ketosis. Burn that extra fat really quick.

As for the scale throw it out. It will just unmotivate you. See my blog "My love affair with the scale" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Juggernautpint

Good luck!
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    No doubt, limiting to 20 carbs feels near impossible. I zigzag with my carbs. Most of the week I do Induction phase, but on weekends or occasional events, I'll go up to 50-80. It is possible to do 20, but not without a lot of planning. Here's my typical menu for the day:

Breakfast:
    2 eggs
    3 canadian bacon

Morning Snack:
    Protein Shake
    or Veggies and PB
    or Sliced Tomato and 1 oz. cheese

Lunch:
    Lean Protein Meat or Egg Salad or Spaghetti Squash
    1 Veggie (unless I'm doing spaghetti squash or other veggie casserole dish)
    1 oz. of cheese

Dinner:
    Fish or Other Lean Protein
    1 Veggie
    1 oz. of cheese

I rarely feel hungry, but still have a hard time getting all my calories, so I mostly focus on limiting my carbs and getting enough protein.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ive done a low carb diet before, never counted calories, didnt do Atkins, I basically didnt eat any pasta, bread, most processed foods etc etc... It got me to my lowest weight, and I never counted one calorie. I never felt hungry once.
    I ate big breakfasts (although I never fried them) snacked three times a day on nuts and fruit, i loved every minute of it!

My sis did Atkins, and she was told to forget calories, and eat more than she was at the time. She did it for her wedding, and that was her lowest weight ever.

I found that cutting down hugely on carbs also changed my body shape. I no longer had GIGANTIC hips lol
    xxxx
  • hswhitten
    hswhitten Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Low Carb diets are def. hard to stick to especially when your weight changes so drastically up and down but don’t be discouraged. When my family went on it, we saw the biggest weight loss over the first two weeks (we didn’t do the induction) and we solely limited carbs and didn't bother counting calories or fat. We also found that our weights were really variable and fluctuated a lot especially with that TOM!

My advice would be to just limit carbs as much as possible in the first two weeks (you don't have to follow all the rules of the induction) and focus on high protein meals that you REALLY enjoy so you don't miss the carbs as much. You don't really have to worry about counting calories but generally try to avoid fatty meats just for your general health and for getting into the habit. Also, like was already mentioned, save your carbs for the morning or for those times of the day that you really need a pick me up. Once you get passed the hardest two weeks and you introduce more carbs into your diet your weight will fluctuate less. It also helps if you space out your weigh-ins because the fluctuations are less noticeable and you’re less likely to think your making mistakes.

It's also really important to remember that when you reach your target weight or when you increase your carb intake in general you will most likely gain back some of the lost pounds so I have seen some people lose a little extra beforehand so it balances out in the end.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    PS In case youre now wondering, if it was so great why dont I do it again....My main reason for being on this site is that Im trying to start eating normally and stop doing random diets and cutting out food groups, as Im a total bing eater.

Im trying to learn portion control, and make a lifestyle change. Hopefully the weight will come off along the way :)
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    20 carbs a day for 2 weeks seems impossible.

Forgot to mention that 20 carbs on Atkins means "NET" carbs. That is carbs minus fiber. That may help your food planning.

The Atkins website is a great resource for anyone doing this diet.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    thanks all I guess I just have to mke sure if I am going to keep limiting carbs I also have to keep some control over fat and calories too.

i will see where I am at in the next week when AF leaves town!
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    Just my thought for anyone who does intense cardio workouts, including running, you need some carbs. That is how your body refuels. I have lost 17 lb walking, running, and eating reasonably, including carbs. Just my two cents, not trying to bash anyone else's plan.
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand this carb thing. My sister was just put on a food plan that has her counting her carbs and she is dropping pounds crazily. She eats more than I do and when I check out my diary my carbs are at least 100 grams under what she is suppose to eat. Why is it that her higher intake of carbs is actually causing her to lose weight. I'm counting calories, she's counting carbs and has lost so much more than me. Any ideas?
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    How long can anybody sustain the Atkins diet. Its not something your body can handle for life. Your body does need carbs, the good carbs that come from fruit and veggies.

I try and keep my carbs at 100 and have been losing and not feeling deprived. I am having TOM too so we'll see what the scales say.

Here is a site that can set you up for low carb or even ketogenic if you want it... I don't agree with that one. Low carb is easy and you will lose weight in a healthy way. Just don't eat a box of cereal like I did one day LOL

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    thanks all I guess I just have to mke sure if I am going to keep limiting carbs I also have to keep some control over fat and calories too.

i will see where I am at in the next week when AF leaves town!

If you are eating low carb don't stress to much about the fat. I tend to eat good fats like nuts, olive oil so those can raise your fat,