Need Encouragement/Advice/Accountability

Options
Hi, I'm Erin!
Ever since I had my last child 4 years ago I haven't been able to lose weight like I used to. Add an emotional roller coaster of a year last year and my weight is the highest it's ever been. I recently cut out added sugar and flour from my eating habits because I think it simplifies making healthy choices for me. However, I'm left confused about what's acceptable with this framework. I know some people still choose honey and agave as sweeteners and allow starches like potatoes. But I was told by a co-worker I should eliminate anything the body breaks down into simple sugars, so I don't know what all qualifies. Quinoa? Corn flour? I'm lost but I want to do it right.

Replies

• ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate all foods that break down into simple sugars. Your body relies on this for basic energy. But if that's working for you then stick to it. I upped my fat and protein allowances by going into my goals and selecting guided. I think I left my carbs at 20% and I haven't had a problem staying under. I eat lean meats and veggies prepared in a variety of ways. Remember cooking is the act of changing the makeup of a food by applying heat or acid. There's a huge variety of ways to prepare food. And that changes the texture, makeup and most importantly, the flavor. In fact: Since I upped my protein allowance I've had no problems staying under my calorie count and I feel satisfied throughout the day. I even have room to eat 2 cookies late at night each day.

I think that keeping some carbs is important but what really made the difference for me was eliminating all boxed and processed foods. I am following a clean eating diet and I think it's working. Best of luck to you. It sounds like you shocked your system by drastically changing the foods you eat. I hope you are able to lose weight quickly and feel motivated each day. I've found that adding friends has really inspired me to do my best.

Best Wishes!
    Christer
  • eramsay112
    eramsay112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Erin! There is no "correct" way for losing weight. Different things work for different people. The best advice I can give is to shop around the perimeter of the grocery store where the fresh produce, meat, and dairy are. I know it can be overwhelming at the start but once you get the hang of buying certain foods you eventually don't think twice about it!

Don't be sucked in by the trendy health foods (coconut water, coconut oil, chia seeds, quinoa, whatever else is being talked about repeatedly) as they are infinitely more expensive than their regular counterparts (water, olive/canola oil, ground flax seed, brown rice, etc).

You can do a low-carb diet very easily using MFP if that is what you want. Aim for no more than 125 grams in carbs (but always subtract fiber from that number), 0.8 x your bodyweight for protein, and have the rest of your diet be healthy fats (oils, nut butters, roasted nuts)
  • ErinKay_RN
    ErinKay_RN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to add friends :) I used to use this app purely as a calorie counter but I'm looking to engage now to up my accountability. I do plan on adding back some whole grains once I get a handle on making healthier choices but I do get carbs from my fruits and vegetables currently. That's where I'm confused, though as far as this plan goes. I know other people follow this guideline and I'm wondering if they allow brown rice, quinoa, honey, or agave. Oats I have allowed although I haven't eaten much of them yet.
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking them for a test drive. I eat small portions of brown rice and I feel better. One thing that worked for me in the past was lot's of exercise and half PB&J sandwiches. I feel like I have to counter less carbs with whole proteins and a good supply of lean fats. Have fun with it and don't stress. Changing your lifestyle should feel natural so you want to stick with it. I would recommend not trying to lose more than 1 pound a week until you get used to tracking your meals. This will give you more leniency to maneuver new foods around in. I personally have changed my goals to incorporate only 20% carbs in my diet.

Best wishes.
    Christer
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    All carbohydrate is made up of chains of glucose molecules of different lengths e.g glucose =1, sucrose=2, fructrose = 3, lactose is 5, starch is 7??? iirc etc. And i think galactose is 13??? ( Cant remember). Point being is that ANY carbohydrate is broken down into the simple sugar glucose during digestion. Complex carbs take longer to digest as they are longer chains and so have more bonds to break. That is why they can keep you fuller longer ( plus maybe some additional fibre increasing fullness), nutrionally they are all the same though.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Just watch the refined carbs (sugar, white flour, white rice, etc). As a type 2 diabetic I try to limit my carb intake to about 125 grams a day, with at least 30grams of fiber. The best method is to try adding small portions of whole grains and see how you feel afterward (I would use my meter to give me solid numbers after every meal to see how different carbs effected my blood sugar). Carbs in general are not the enemy. And they taste good! :-) Small changes made over time become a habit.