Do you count your fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Luckily I love all the fruit & veg I eat. So I feel exactly the same about logging veg calories and logging chocolate calories... But I can have more of the veg/fruit for the crazy calorie amounts chocolate can come up to. >:)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I think this is so dramatic.

Penalized for eating well?

Your body logs the calories you eat regardless of whether or not you log it in your diary. Whats even the point of logging your food if you aren't going to get an idea of how much you're eating?

Don't even get me started on the fact that people prepare veggies and fruits by adding calories (oils, butters, sugars, and cheese!) and think they are being "healthy".

At the end of the day, you don't get brownie points for not eating junk and opting for a fruit. It comes down to total calories, and refusing to log it because "it's healthy though!" is just plain silly. It's setting yourself up for failure.

hence "(a little over dramatic I know)"

chill lovely...your not fighting my battle...I am

smile and take a deep breath :wink:

Go with the drama! You're being tortured for doing the right thing, and now you deserve a spa day, or at least new nail polish.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    drbxgold wrote: »
    With fruit yeah, sometimes... veg not so much because it is usually less calorically dense. Most bowls of fruit will clock in at around 150+ kcals and 20 carbs, whereas veg is usually 1/4 of that.

I do this too. I count fruits and starchy veggies, but not the low calorie vegetables. Firstly because they are so low calorie that I have measured in the past and I never ate more than 100-200 cal per day. And secondly I often eat salads with a mixture of multiple veggies in small amounts, like a couple of pieces of broccoli, 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes, etc., that it takes too much effort to log 15 calories of 10-15 different things.

I've never counted veggie calories and was still able to lose 60 lbs and maintain now for 7 months. :smile:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My body counts those calories, so I do too.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fruit I log properly, same with any sort of potato. For things like cucumber, salad greens, etc. I estimate how much and log that. But, I always log. I think once you start leaving things out it can just snowball to leaving other things out and then you are sitting back wondering why you can't lose weight or are gaining weight.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes, it all get's logged - even celery!
  • NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, ill continue counting my pomegranate pips ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    drbxgold wrote: »
    With fruit yeah, sometimes... veg not so much because it is usually less calorically dense. Most bowls of fruit will clock in at around 150+ kcals and 20 carbs, whereas veg is usually 1/4 of that.

I do this too. I count fruits and starchy veggies, but not the low calorie vegetables. Firstly because they are so low calorie that I have measured in the past and I never ate more than 100-200 cal per day. And secondly I often eat salads with a mixture of multiple veggies in small amounts, like a couple of pieces of broccoli, 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes, etc., that it takes too much effort to log 15 calories of 10-15 different things.

I've never counted veggie calories and was still able to lose 60 lbs and maintain now for 7 months. :smile:

In this case I weigh the whole lot before dressing and log them as one vegetable (the highest calorie one in the mix). At least you will have a frame of reference if you stall to troubleshoot your weight loss. It's also very important if you don't have much left to lose. 200 calories can be the difference between losing and maintaining.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log everything. A lot of veggies are low in calories, but not all. For example I love sautéing onions for omelettes, soups, I even put them in salads sometimes, but they are higher in calories than one would think.
    I love zucchini because I like the taste and that is one of the lowest calorie veggies I know. Another is cabbage, green, purple and napa cabbage especially. It's like eating a lot and hardly taking any points.

Fruits are trickier. Lately my body must be needing oranges because I've been craving them for almost 2 months now. So as a snack I cut off the skin, weigh it, and eat it very slowly. I could eat 2-3 easily and think, it's only orange, how much calories can it be? Well, there's about a 100 in a good size orange.

If you don't log your caloriesmfrom veggies and fruits, you will easily cheat yourself thinking you ate 400 calories less and then you'd be wondering why haven't you lost weight.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I log fruits....i log veggies, but i don't weigh them all. I weigh calorie-dense ones (peas, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes...) i also weigh sweet veggies like carrots. After awhile, you learn what is more calorie dense and what isn't.

While it might be a p.i.t.a., the other reason i try to log everything fairly accurately is because i had a lot of vitamin and mineral deficiencies when i first started. My last bloodwork all came back normal, though, so i no longer weigh every single thing.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fruit yes. Veggies mostly. Is every zucchini I grill really medium? I don't think so but being off by five or ten calories there doesn't matter. The olive oil I toss the zucchini with is measured. I think every salad I log starts with two cups of romaine. I don't get too excited if I am off by a few calories on the lettuce, but the toppings for my salads are logged diligently.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I always have...and resented every calorie I have logged... its like being penalised for eating well!! (a little over dramatic I know)

just wondering does everyone else log each and ever grape, apple, carrot, celery, tomato?

Maybe a change in perspective may help by separating the two concepts in your mind. You could lose, maintain or gain weight while eating well. It has nothing to do with weight loss. Think of eating them as browny points for health and logging them as brownie points for weight loss.

NdNGbXC.gif
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I weigh fruit and log it. I log veggies, but I just kind of eyeball and guess how much. I eat a lot of veggies and I don't consider it to be worth the hassle to weigh them all out when it doesn't make enough of a difference to me, calorie-wise, if I'm off by +/- 50% on them.

Edited to add, I do weigh some higher calorie veggies, such as sweet potatoes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    look at my lunch today and that will tell you lol
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I log everything as best I can. I also keep some extra calories as a slight buffer for any logging errors.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing...

Even if you don't count and log them, your body still will.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do. Certain fruits such as bananas and oranges (depending on the size) can have up to 110 calories each.
  • Working2BBetter
    Working2BBetter Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I always try to get as close as possible... You have to log everything. The key is to really be aware of what you are eating. I put in an item BEFORE I eat it so I can see how how it impacts my day. If you get used to the count for your healthier snacks, it is easier for you to make the switch to a healthier option (when you are tempted to cheat...) when you see the calorie difference...
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fruits most definitely need to be weighed and logged. You can gain weight eating over your allowance in fruit, your body doesn't care that it's "healthy". As for vegetables I will eyeball how much and record it. Fruit can screw you over.
  • jackie12980
    jackie12980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started my fitness pal today..I used weight watchers a few months back fell off the wagon..with WW i was never hungry and lost 40 pounds but i felt i lost alot of muscle even heavy i was muscular..now between menopuse and the weight loss I have very little muscle..so with that said I decided to go back to beach body products which i used in 2007 loosing 49 pounds in 90 days and was buff..so i started body beast at age 50...lol ya I know..and it says eat alot more calories then i dare too..so found my fitness pal and thought i would use that for calorie intake..well i am half way through the day hungry and even though i have over 500 calories left I cannot even have fruit or veggie as it will put me over on my sugars..and I thought I ate healthy so far today I really need help to understand how to do this.. and make sure i manage my carbs, fats, sugars etc and still have enough at the end of the day