Eating 1x day to stay under calories

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sorry - totally didn't address the ACL thing. My husband had his reconstructed a year or so ago (many thanks NHS) and I was amazed at how soon he was on his bike (missed a whole season of rugby though) - I thought it would be awful for his knee but he said it's perfect as it's the natural movement for the joint so good for strengthening. Not ideal in your situation I'm guessing though. Could your doctor give you any advice? Or you could post a new thread on the exercise board - I'm sure someone there could help or has been in the same situation. A physiotherapist or someone. (I know nothing!)

I need to find a doctor with after hours appointments. Boss lady is not cool with me going to appointments during work hours. (I'm trying to find a more accommodating job but I haven't gotten any bites yet.) I'm waiting on the state to let me know what the status on my Medicaid is so I can even start to doctor hunt.

I can't imagine an office-setting workplace in which employees are denied time off for doctor's appointments.

It's a small insurance office where I work. The boss set down the rule that all appointments must be outside office hours to make sure all hands are on deck to make sales.

Do you get sick/personal/vacation time?
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is much easier to stay on budget if you cook.

I usually will just make something for my kid as my husband works nights so it doesn't make sense to cook this whole meal affair when it's just me and her. She doesn't eat much and it's easier to throw a pb and j or some such in her general direction then to try to do an entire meal with sides and everything that my husband won't even be there for. Only time I cook a real meal is if he is off work and home to actually eat it.

IDK if it's relevant but I am also battling untreated depression which, depending on the day, makes me want to eat everything in sight or not a darn thing at all.

I have little kids too and they really are pretty easy to feed. It is a lot faster for me to give them something quick instead of make an entire meal, but I really don't want them to struggle with weight the way I have. I think family time around the table is important so I really try to give them healthy foods and then sit and eat it with them. I want them to grow up with good eating habits. I want them to think vegetables at dinner are normal.

And please please see someone about your depression. You are worth it. Please take care of yourself.

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sorry - totally didn't address the ACL thing. My husband had his reconstructed a year or so ago (many thanks NHS) and I was amazed at how soon he was on his bike (missed a whole season of rugby though) - I thought it would be awful for his knee but he said it's perfect as it's the natural movement for the joint so good for strengthening. Not ideal in your situation I'm guessing though. Could your doctor give you any advice? Or you could post a new thread on the exercise board - I'm sure someone there could help or has been in the same situation. A physiotherapist or someone. (I know nothing!)

I need to find a doctor with after hours appointments. Boss lady is not cool with me going to appointments during work hours. (I'm trying to find a more accommodating job but I haven't gotten any bites yet.) I'm waiting on the state to let me know what the status on my Medicaid is so I can even start to doctor hunt.

I can't imagine an office-setting workplace in which employees are denied time off for doctor's appointments.

It's a small insurance office where I work. The boss set down the rule that all appointments must be outside office hours to make sure all hands are on deck to make sales.

Do you get sick/personal/vacation time?

No. Not been there long enough to accrue any.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I understand about the budgeted food, I work with $40 a week and I have a cat to feed too. Its hard as heck for me to eat healthy but I do the best I can. I double up on veggies cause they are cheaper than fruit. I eat canned salmon - make patties over rice, and beans and PB. Chicken and fish now and then. Its hard but doable. success to you
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    First, how many people are you feeding on that $50 per week grocery budget? If it's just you - you should be able to eat fresh and healthy on that amount of money. I'm single and spend about $150 per month on groceries - and I eat fresh lean meats and produce (fruits and veggies), omelets with cheese and veggies, and snack on apples and peanut butter - and stay around 1200 calories a day. I am one of those who don't eat back my exercise calories. The trick is you have to cook a bit - but how long does it really take to scramble some eggs, or put a chicken breast and some veggies in the oven to roast?

Stay away from the pills. Eat at least 3x a day, track your calories, and eat plenty of protein and fats to keep you full. Drink lots of water too - that will help.

You can do this!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have one more thing to add. I live in a tiny town with almost no resources, but even we have a free mental health clinic. If you don't have Medicaid, it goes based off your income (and goes all the way down to free). Your county assistance office should have information for that, and it's worth looking into.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I can't say much for cooking 1 or 2 ppl but lessons I learned growing up in a large family may be applicable. Rice, dried beans, and canned veggies go a long way and with the right recipe can be put into a big stew on say Sundays. Make friends with your butcher and check sales my local small grocer will slash prices low a few days before the sell buy date to get it out of the store. Leftovers make for a good breakfast. Finally, powdered milk is horrible to drink but tastes perfectly fine on cereal (store bagged kinds are cheap) and work just fine for cooking.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I thought you were working with $50 per person. $50 is quite low for 4 people, and if you and your spouse's income is so low that that is all you can afford on food, like others on this thread, I'd recommend you look into the SNAP (what is now called food stamps) program, or take advantage of some of the local food pantries. Otherwise, you need to find something else in your budget you can skimp on so that you can feed you and your family quality food. Your health and your daughter's need to be a priority. I noticed you said you value your daughter, but not yourself, but as her caretaker and someone working full time, you need to eat quality nutritious food. Even eating some of your daughter's peanut butter on an English muffin and a piece of fruit is more nutritious that 600 calories worth of ramen noodles. Also, what are your MIL and husband eating? Are they eating ramen noodles, too? Are you sacrificing your own nutrition so they can eat properly? Is your MIL on social security -- she may be eligible for SNAP, which would take some of the burden of your family's food budget. My mom is elderly, on social security and a small annuity, and lives on her own, and she is getting about $30 a week from SNAP.
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    People do IF (intermittent fasting) and it's not a bad way to go if it works for you. Op that does not sound like the case for you at this time. It sounds like you're hungry, accommodating a lot of picky eaters on a minimal budget.

1) get control of your families eating.. On a budget you cannot accommodate everyone. Make meals, makes plans and stick to them. Husband and you should take planned lunches/dinners. Check out sites like:

http://thriftyfrugalmom.com/200month-menu-plan-for-our-family-of-5/#sthash.kbqIEyNS.dpbs

2) you have a child. I don't know her age but you are instilling poor eating habits by not having healthy ,rails and "tossing pbj" her way every night.

It is possible to feed your family decent on a budget, but you need to stop the excuses and make a plan and stick to it.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you eat one meal, you will be starving and over eat. Ramen isn't great for you but you could make your own version on the cheap with past noodles, frozen vegetables, left over chicken etc. $50 a week for one person can be done.....you probably need to look for less convenience foods that you pay more for. An entire box of pasta is probably about a dollar that could be split into many meals. Not to mention sales
    That sounds delish.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Worst idea ever? I started tracking yesterday and thought I was doing OK only to see I was 300 calories over goal for the day. I am not even sure how to stay full on 1400 calories a day with a limited grocery budget. ($50/week) I am debating just not eating save for dinner and and getting some diet pills to crush my appetite.

I skimmed through the posts here and everyone has their opinion, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating once per day.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1257158/from-363-4-to-197-7-lbs-my-one-meal-a-day-success-story

People have had success on it but it is tough to start with and probably tough to maintain. There is nothing saying you have to eat 3 meals per day or 6 meals per day... you can eat one time and as long as you are within your calorie budget, you are good.

I am weening my way toward doing this myself. I am literally never hungry during the day and only have a smoothie in the morning. Then at night - when I crave food - I eat. Soon, I will give up the smoothie and eat everything in one meal at the end of my day.

Again, no proven science showing that eating in the morning vs. night is better, or that eating more than one meal is better... it is something that you can do if you truly want to do it.

As far as diet pills, don't do it. If you can't train your body to do it by just following the OMAD plan or an IF plan, then it won't work. Don't take pills to try to curb your appetite. Train your body if it is something you want to do.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I thought you were working with $50 per person. $50 is quite low for 4 people, and if you and your spouse's income is so low that that is all you can afford on food, like others on this thread, I'd recommend you look into the SNAP (what is now called food stamps) program, or take advantage of some of the local food pantries. Otherwise, you need to find something else in your budget you can skimp on so that you can feed you and your family quality food. Your health and your daughter's need to be a priority. I noticed you said you value your daughter, but not yourself, but as her caretaker and someone working full time, you need to eat quality nutritious food. Even eating some of your daughter's peanut butter on an English muffin and a piece of fruit is more nutritious that 600 calories worth of ramen noodles. Also, what are your MIL and husband eating? Are they eating ramen noodles, too? Are you sacrificing your own nutrition so they can eat properly? Is your MIL on social security -- she may be eligible for SNAP, which would take some of the burden of your family's food budget. My mom is elderly, on social security and a small annuity, and lives on her own, and she is getting about $30 a week from SNAP.

I put myself below everyone else. I absolutely sacrifice myself so others in my family can have more then me.

MIL is not old enough to retire. As it is, she is living off her 401K since she is currently out of work.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Worst idea ever? I started tracking yesterday and thought I was doing OK only to see I was 300 calories over goal for the day. I am not even sure how to stay full on 1400 calories a day with a limited grocery budget. ($50/week) I am debating just not eating save for dinner and and getting some diet pills to crush my appetite.

I skimmed through the posts here and everyone has their opinion, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating once per day.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1257158/from-363-4-to-197-7-lbs-my-one-meal-a-day-success-story

People have had success on it but it is tough to start with and probably tough to maintain. There is nothing saying you have to eat 3 meals per day or 6 meals per day... you can eat one time and as long as you are within your calorie budget, you are good.

I am weening my way toward doing this myself. I am literally never hungry during the day and only have a smoothie in the morning. Then at night - when I crave food - I eat. Soon, I will give up the smoothie and eat everything in one meal at the end of my day.

Again, no proven science showing that eating in the morning vs. night is better, or that eating more than one meal is better... it is something that you can do if you truly want to do it.

As far as diet pills, don't do it. If you can't train your body to do it by just following the OMAD plan or an IF plan, then it won't work. Don't take pills to try to curb your appetite. Train your body if it is something you want to do.

I don't want to. I have to. Right now I am supremely hungry but I have to remind myself that a) it's not dinner time and b) my fat *kitten* does not deserve to eat more then a meal a day.
  • mrssabre113
    mrssabre113 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just feel frustrated because a) I have a budget that I have to stick with and b) I am the only person who is honestly trying to lose weight in the house so I have to cater to other people's food choices and try to lose weight which is why my brain tripped to eating only 1X/day and using appetite suppressants.

I think many, many people deal with this (living with someone who isn't health-minded - I know I do.) I feel like a person can make excuses for everything, but excuses are why you don't see progress.

You also have to realize that your daughter needs healthy meals, too. Just because your hubs isn't home, doesn't mean you can't cook something nutritious for you & her. She needs to see her role model making healthy recipes. Let her help you! She will learn healthy choices just from cooking with you. I know my mom didn't show me ANY cooking in my life, & I'm 25 & just learned how to hard boil an egg. If I would have grown up seeing healthy meals being prepared, I'd have known how to make them myself & not have made bad choices that led to being overweight.

Pop some chicken breasts in the slow cooker in the morning. When they are done, add some bbq sauce or Caesar dressing or experiment with other flavors or eat them plain! You do not want to just eat ramen in your day. Ramen has a ton of sodium, which makes your body thirsty, which can trigger the brain into thinking you are hungry. Drink lots of water. A lot of times, we are just thirsty but our mind is telling us we are hungry.

Be that great role model to your daughter. Show her healthy options. Let her cook with you & that can be your guys' activity in the evening. If you want a healthier life, you'll get one.

Exactly what she said. $50 budget a week for groceries for 4 people is hard, but possible. Trying to cater to everyone's taste is hard. Trust me I know, my husband hates vegetables or fish, my mom doesn't eat gluten and other foods, and my daughter doesn't like certain foods. Its hard, but I took charge, bought different foods, tried different recipes, and I make what fits in our budget and what's healthy. I started putting smaller portions on everyone's plate so there was no waste and we would have the leftovers for lunch. They ate what they wanted and slowly adjusted their taste. Now my husband eats vegetables, my mom will eat pasta on occasion and my daughter will pick and choose what she wants to eat from the meal I make. You also said something about when your husband works late there's no point in making a big meal, but THERE IS! If you make a good sized meal for dinner, you can take the leftovers for lunch the next day. That solves your lunch problem. You can do this!
    Your depression does play a factor, it can lessen your will to try, what you have a taste for and whatnot. I suggest try seeing a doctor to get your depression, for yourself. Self care is always important. I'm sorry about your ACL, that makes things tough. But even a little bit of yoga or a few planks add up over time.
    It is possible! You can do it! Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't want to. I have to. Right now I am supremely hungry but I have to remind myself that a) it's not dinner time and b) my fat *kitten* does not deserve to eat more then a meal a day.

No matter what your weight is, you deserve food. You don't deserve to be miserable.

Would you let someone treat someone you loved that way? If not, why are you treating yourself this way?
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

No matter what your weight is, you deserve food. You don't deserve to be miserable.

Would you let someone treat someone you loved that way? If not, why are you treating yourself this way?

I don't like me. Never have. Other people, I love to bits and will protect until the end of the 'verse. Just not myself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I don't think this "poor poor pitiful me" attitude really helping the situation. And if you can't afford food for your family, how will you afford diet pills? Those aren't free you know. For the money you spend on them you could just eat a meal.

Stop wallowing in self pity and take charge of your life. Do the best you can with what you've got.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

This is not healthy thinking and without healthy thinking you can not make healthy choices. You need to get your depression under control. Putting everyone above yourself only hurts everyone involved.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

I put myself below everyone else. I absolutely sacrifice myself so others in my family can have more then me.

MIL is not old enough to retire. As it is, she is living off her 401K since she is currently out of work.

Does anyone know if the MIL having 401k assets makes her ineligible for SNAP? @shell1005 ?