RIP eggs

Options
So I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease and I have found that one of the things that really messes me up is eggs. I'm depressed because I used to eat so many eggs for breakfast, snacks, even dinner. They're such an easy, go-to source of protein and are still relatively low calorie/low carb. Does anyone have any ideas for substitutes, especially for breakfast? I know a lot of people usually suggest Greek yogurt, which I do like, but I can't eat it every day. I don't really have a sweet tooth so I can't eat "sweet" breakfasts too many days in a row.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Can you use egg substitutes?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm allergic to eggs, so I've never been able to eat them. You can make a tofu scramble if you want protein. If you add a strip of bacon or two then it would be similar to one you'd make an egg with.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    You poor *kitten*. I have nothing to offer but sympathy.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^ another vote for the tofu scramble. Lots of ways to vary the flavors, and you can pre-portion a big batch for several days. It will handle reheating much, much better than eggs would. As an egg appreciator, I'm sympathetic to your loss, but on the bright side, it has the potential to add variety and ease to your breakfasts.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Have you tried plain Greek yogurt with savory additions if you are not into sweets? I could honestly eat it plain on it's own. Or cottage cheese.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    drain a small can of sardines, mash sardines with a fork in a little bowl, chop some green onions and some fresh herbs if you have any, mix with a tiny bit of mayo. Serve on a piece of toast. Mmm, yummy!
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Tofu is an interesting idea. I've always been a little hesitant to try it but I guess now is as good a time as any!
  • jimandpam87
    Options
    Have you tried plain Greek yogurt with savory additions if you are not into sweets? I could honestly eat it plain on it's own. Or cottage cheese.

I have not tried this. Any other savory suggestions? I completely forgot about cottage cheese! I'll have to add that to my grocery list.
  • jimandpam87
    Options
    You poor *kitten*. I have nothing to offer but sympathy.

Thanks :( I'm been throwing myself a pity party for while now.
  • jimandpam87
    Options
    Can you use egg substitutes?

I've never tried egg substitutes, didn't even know that was a thing. I'll have to look for it.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast. This morning I ate split peas, roast beef and sauteed veggies.
    Other mornings it's fish or chicken.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with Crohn's as well. No idea what I can and can't eat yet.
    I usually eat well eggs. Plain oatmeal and protein pancakes on weekends. There are like literally dozens of recipes for pancakes.
    (well not anymore, my diet is all out of wack right now)
  • jimandpam87
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with Crohn's as well. No idea what I can and can't eat yet.
    I usually eat well eggs. Plain oatmeal and protein pancakes on weekends. There are like literally dozens of recipes for pancakes.

The struggle is real. I hate Crohn's. Oatmeal is another good thought. It just never fills me up for some reason.
  • jimandpam87
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast. This morning I ate split peas, roast beef and sauteed veggies.
    Other mornings it's fish or chicken.

This is true. Maybe I just need to train myself to not be so picky in the mornings. I usually can't stomach anything really heavy. That's why I loved eating eggs for breakfast - they fill me up but I don't feel too stuffed after eating.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pohudet wrote: »
    drain a small can of sardines, mash sardines with a fork in a little bowl, chop some green onions and some fresh herbs if you have any, mix with a tiny bit of mayo. Serve on a piece of toast. Mmm, yummy!

I made mayo in culinary school. It's made with eggs. Not the best thing for someone who has trouble with them.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Sucks.

Yeah tofu scramble can be good. If you do try that, make sure to by firm tofu. The soft stuff will moosh up into non-existence and empty stomach.

Craving a tofu scramble now.
  • DanBGVa
    DanBGVa Posts: 50 Member
    Options

To replace pancakes we use egg beaters dip Ezekiel bread in them and make french toast with a very and I do mean a very small amount of sugar free syrup and then sprinkle some Splenda on top (small amount again). Takes away the processed bread issue, takes away unhealthy part of eggs, keeps the proteins and is great for calories and your food plan.

This might not work for everyone but does for my other half who also suffers from food problems.

I hope someone gets some benefit from this idea.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a good, filling breakfast and you can find so much to mix in to make it interesting.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ... make sure to buy extra firm tofu.
    FTFY

And regarding oatmeal, I've got friends that use protein powder mixed in to make it more satiating.

• dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    Pohudet wrote: »

I made mayo in culinary school. It's made with eggs. Not the best thing for someone who has trouble with them.

Vegan mayonnaise does not have eggs: vegan.com/mayonnaise/