RIP eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Sucks.

Yeah tofu scramble can be good. If you do try that, make sure to by firm tofu. The soft stuff will moosh up into non-existence and empty stomach.

Craving a tofu scramble now.

^This. You can either keep it relatively subtle or you can dress it up with all sorts of spices and have it with whatever you want (I like it pretty spicy particularly at the weekend for some reason).. in a burrito, on a slice of toast, on rice. And it handles leftovers even better than scrambled egg IMO, which just goes kinda wet and unpleasant. Personally, I like it with a massive pile of kale or another green with sriracha all over.

It depends what else you can eat to keep your Crohn's under control. Perhaps gather a list of everything you can't eat, and then pull one together of everything you CAN eat. It's much easier to make a significant dietary change when you focus on what you can eat rather than what you can't, because, trust me, that Can Eat list will be HUGE. I've been there. My serum cholesterol was on a never-ending upwards trend, despite losing 60 lbs, and I was damned if I was going to take drugs for it. I basically cut out meat and cheese (except for once a month max), fat-free dairy only. It worked - my cholesterol was retested and was back down to levels I haven't seen EVER, but it was a huge dietary change.

My advice is to take a deep breath and look at this as a challenge to develop a whole new exciting way of eating.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    dejamos wrote: »
    Vegan mayonnaise does not have eggs: vegan.com/mayonnaise/

^And there are a bunch of varieties:
    follow-your-heart-vegenaise-vegan-mayo.jpg
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you two dealing with Crohn's. :disappointed: My husband has ulcerative colitis and had his colon out a few years back, now has a j-pouch.

One of the things I found in all my studying and reading and poring over websites and message boards is that every Crohn's & UC patient is different when it comes to what works and what doesn't, food-wise. Such sucky diseases (not that there are any GOOD ones!).

Trial and error, find what agrees with your system, hopefully you'll find a variety of things so as to avoid boredom. There is a group here on the boards for Crohn's/UC folks, maybe you'll find some more good info there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast. This morning I ate split peas, roast beef and sauteed veggies.
    Other mornings it's fish or chicken.

This. Other than occasionally oatmeal with fruit I much prefer savory breakfasts to sweet and until I got back onto the egg bandwagon I would usually just have leftovers from dinner or a salad with protein or a stirfry.

I also really like cottage cheese as an alternative to greek yogurt. Also high in protein, and I love it (plain, or with savory stuff).

I'm also a huge fan of smoked salmon at breakfast. I'll do some sauteed veg and then add a little smoked salmon and maybe some feta.

I've been meaning to try a savory oatmeal preparation, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have done polenta in the morning, which is tasty (and pretty much like grits, I suppose, but I'm not southern).
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast. This morning I ate split peas, roast beef and sauteed veggies.
    Other mornings it's fish or chicken.

I :heart: eating supper for breakfast and vise versa
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I have nothing but sympathy for you, OP, but I would suffer with real eggs rather than go with egg substitutes. And I used to eat egg substitutes! :)

I have no other suggestions since I have UC but have done a really poor job of changing my diet to accommodate it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Have you tried plain Greek yogurt with savory additions if you are not into sweets? I could honestly eat it plain on it's own. Or cottage cheese.

I have not tried this. Any other savory suggestions? I completely forgot about cottage cheese! I'll have to add that to my grocery list.

Nuts, pumpkin and/or pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and unsweetened cereals like granola seem to go well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Can you eat egg whites?
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Can you eat egg whites?

I have not tried straight egg whites, but from what I've read they are generally the worst part of the egg to eat if you have an autoimmune issue.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Can you eat egg whites?

I have not tried straight egg whites, but from what I've read they are generally the worst part of the egg to eat if you have an autoimmune issue.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

If you cannot eat egg whites, you should also stay away from egg substitutes like egg beaters because they are flavored egg whites.
  • selenaelliott
    selenaelliott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble is my favourite! Firm or extra firm tofu... the type that crumbles is best. For those in the UK, try Cauldron brand.

If your tofu is too soft, you can firm up tofu by freezing it and then defrosting it. Freezing it causes some of the water to release from the tofu. You'd need to press it then, to squeeze the water out.

My fave way to scramble tofu is to fry some onion/scallions/shallots or whatever of those you have handy, then toss in some cherry tomatoes. Then add crumbled tofu. Add some 'black salt' which is not actually black, but is a sulphuric salt, and gives it a savoury, eggy flavour. Add a tiny bit of turmeric for flavour and colour. Then add some fresh spinach. When the spinach is wilted, serve it as is, or over wholemeal or sourdough toast. I like to have avocado, seasoned with salt and freshly squeezed lemon or lime, and fresh basil. Avocado and basil pair wonderfully.

Sometimes I mash avocado onto toast for breakfast. Salt, pepper, lemon juice and basil. Perhaps with some fresh tomato.

Sauteed mushrooms with garlic, black peper and salt on toast is another.

Or you can have a big breakfast with all of those things. Take out the toast for a lower carb version.

I hope some of those ideas sound good to you.
  • fnhairnfaith
    fnhairnfaith Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I sympathize. I was tested recently too and while I don't have Crohns I have a wheat allergy so no more of that. I'm also allergic to soybeans shrimp and Barley

I do t care about anything but the wheat and barley so darn...,guess I will eat eggs
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Crohn's makes it trickier, since I don't know if you can tolerate fresh veggies or fresh fruit, but you might look to other cultures for things eaten at breakfast.

The stereotypical Israeli breakfast spread includes many things that we Americans consider lunch food, including salad (often just chopped cucumbers and tomatoes), fish (often tuna salad), yogurt, olives, fresh fruit (often watermelon) and bread.

Asian cultures often include fish for breakfast.

P.S. There's a number of us with digestive woes trying to revive/start a support group. Look for the recent thread on IBS if you are interested. (This is exactly the sort of question that I am hoping to see discussed)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There are vegan egg replacers that contain no egg. Flax is used as a substitute for egg in recipes. Also there is a type of Himalayan black salt that has a flavor of a egg to use with scrambled tofu. But Google it it's interesting!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    Pohudet wrote: »
    drain a small can of sardines, mash sardines with a fork in a little bowl, chop some green onions and some fresh herbs if you have any, mix with a tiny bit of mayo. Serve on a piece of toast. Mmm, yummy!

I made mayo in culinary school. It's made with eggs. Not the best thing for someone who has trouble with them.

There's always vegan mayo.