Tall Girl Problems--Squats

Options
I'm tall to begin with but have really long legs. I've NEVER felt the burn in my booty when doing squats. Knees? Yes. Mid thigh? Sometimes if I'm really workin it. But hips and buns? I didn't even know that's what squats supposed to do until recently! And all of my trainers are short. How do you tall people make squats work for you?

Replies

• girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but maybe it's your form as opposed to your height that is the problem. Are you keeping an open chest and sitting back as opposed to bending forward? And pushing up through your heels while squeezing your bum?
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    More information needed--do you squat with weights? Barbell or dumbbell? Do you "go deep" (i.e. hip joint at or below knee joint)? I'm tall too, pear-shape (so lots of fat but decently strong thighs to begin with), but starting out, squats killed me. Even if you do the above (weights, depth [with our without weights]), your overall form may also be telling. Knees track the line of your feet without caving in? Back straight/neutral?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it has anything due to height. I'm short, and I don't really feel it in my butt either (although I will get DOMS in my glutes). I'm pretty new to weighted squatting, but I feel it mostly in my hamstrings. I assumed that was because my hams were not up to par with the other muscles in my legs and butt.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • ameyer7487
    ameyer7487 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and have never felt it in my booty, just legs and thighs. I have been doing weighted squats lately and I still don't feel it. I never considered it to be due to height, though.
  • Makingachangeforlife
    Options
    You need to go deeper into your squat. Legs need to be parallel with the floor. Use a mirror to gage and ensure your knees are not pushing past your toes. Push up through your heels.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling it on the front of your legs instead of your butt you are likely compensating from weak glutes.

It's also likely that you have tightness in the hamstrings, calves, or lack mobility in the ankle to perform a squat properly.

My suggestion to you would be to target your glutes specifically with something like hip thrusts and glute bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQXREKFfpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-o98EVDLjE
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You need to go deeper into your squat. Legs need to be parallel with the floor. Use a mirror to gage and ensure your knees are not pushing past your toes. Push up through your heels.

knees going over toes is perfectly fine. They should, however, not be internally or externally rotating.

As stated above it's also very likely that because certain muscles are tight and/or imbalanced, it's likely she'll compensate by squatting quad heavy anyway.

Not trying to single you out, just saying.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to feel them in your quads (front of legs.) I agree with doing some glute-centric work though. @rainbowbow gave you two good videos for that.

How many trainers do you have? Are they helping you with form?

FWIW, I don't feel any sort of burn with squatting, as long as I squat regularly. I do work to engage my muscles but that's not burn.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Having long femurs and legs in general make squatting more complicated. I use a wider stance to compensate for my legs
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

knees going over toes is perfectly fine. They should, however, not be internally or externally rotating.

As stated above it's also very likely that because certain muscles are tight and/or imbalanced, it's likely she'll compensate by squatting quad heavy anyway.

Not trying to single you out, just saying.

I second this toes going over knees is natural!! I too am tall with long legs and never feel the burn in my butt.....but that doesn't mean it isn't working!! I find adding some plyometrics to the end of my leg day helps to get soreness in those glutes the following day!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup, make sure the TOP of your legs are parallel to the ground (not the bottom). Try a slightly wider stance. Think about pushing with your butt when you are at the bottom, and maybe try low-bar squats instead of high.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Squats are primarily a quad exercise, so no shock there you feel it in your quads. You may feel it in your glutes, but the amount of glute muscle activation compared to quad activation is much lower. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless your trainer thinks your form is way off. I honestly didn't feel it in my glutes until I hit much higher weights than what I started with.

Otherwise, if you want to target your glutes, I'd suggest doing a more glute centric exercise, like the hip thrust.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing and elliptical help the buttocks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    For some, just turning the toes out makes it's simpler to squeeze glutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I found it helped to put a weight bench behind me to make sure I was going low enough. You squat until your butt touches the bench (but don't sit on it!) then return to standing.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "Feeling the burn," or muscle soreness is not an indicator of a good workout. You can get a good workout, and still not feel it in your glutes/booty (in this case). Your knees shouldn't feel it too much during squatting though, so if that's where you are feeling it, you may need to have your form checked.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It might not be height; my husband is 6'3 and "complains" about his butt being sore after squats. It might be more of a stance issue. Try a wider stance with your toes pointed out...squeeze your butt at the top of the movement.
  • PaiPug
    PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Squats are primarily a quad exercise, so no shock there you feel it in your quads. You may feel it in your glutes, but the amount of glute muscle activation compared to quad activation is much lower. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless your trainer thinks your form is way off. I honestly didn't feel it in my glutes until I hit much higher weights than what I started with.

Otherwise, if you want to target your glutes, I'd suggest doing a more glute centric exercise, like the hip thrust.

Thanks! That's actually super helpful. I am feeling the workout in my quads, so I know it's working out that way. I jusy keep hearing girls on Pinterest say stuff about squats and glutes. I'll try those other ones.
  • PaiPug
    PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Having long femurs and legs in general make squatting more complicated. I use a wider stance to compensate for my legs

I have to use a wider stance too...it's kinda obnoxious isn't it haha!