Planet fitness

Options
What do you think a no judgement zone actually is. I am at goal weight. I don't judge others. People are only judged in my eye by how they treat me personally.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think that Planet Fitness is very judgmental, especially considering that they're a company who pushes the "no judgment" agenda so hard. Their advertisements stereotype and ridicule people who are in shape and strength train, and they have a "lunk alarm" that patrons can hit to publicly humiliate anybody they feel is acting too much like they're actually in a real gym. They prey on (and foster) the ridiculous misconception that every other gym in the world is full of giant meatheads on steroids and bikini centerfolds who will ridicule and laugh at you if you dare step foot in their hallowed gym. Instead, Planet Fitness ridicules and humiliates you if you happen to be in shape and lift anything heavier than soup cans. All in the name of *not* being judgmental, of course. Because they're a "no judgment" zone.

• starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Anvil I had no idea about that. Wow! So the shoe is on the other foot there. I get enough of that in my day today life.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I think that Planet Fitness is very judgmental, especially considering that they're a company who pushes the "no judgment" agenda so hard. Their advertisements stereotype and ridicule people who are in shape and strength train, and they have a "lunk alarm" that patrons can hit to publicly humiliate anybody they feel is acting too much like they're actually in a real gym. They prey on (and foster) the ridiculous misconception that every other gym in the world is full of giant meatheads on steroids and bikini centerfolds who will ridicule and laugh at you if you dare step foot in their hallowed gym. Instead, Planet Fitness ridicules and humiliates you if you happen to be in shape and lift anything heavier than soup cans. All in the name of *not* being judgmental, of course. Because they're a "no judgment" zone.
    That's spot on.
  • starfish235
    Options
    Do you both think that is a selling point more than it isn't. Knowing this makes me not want to go to their gym. I am at ideal weight. I am slightly built in my hips. I get women in my face all the time saying I need to gain weight when I am just fine and my doctor thinks I am at a very healthy weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    danniplanetfitness4_zps133f34e6.jpg~original

fc560ae958e4e2ad0039cf52c4aa3b28.jpg
    bb90f65e95fb97940894eaa002b7d486.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    anigif_enhanced-4078-1401479852-18.gif
    6967714854_f44611fa83.jpg

In all seriousness, this is a gym that not only provides pizza but also bagels at the front desk throughout the month. They have a neverending supply of tootsie rolls. They ban you from doing all sorts of exercises like jump roping because it's "intimidating".

They don't have a squat rack or a bench press because again "initimidating".

God forbid you are actually in shape because you are likely to get the alarm rung on you or lose your membership altogether because other members find you "intimidating".

tiffany-austin-photos-2.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/too-fit-for-planet-fitness_n_5002658.html

This gym makes its money by selling memberships to 99% overweight and obese people who actually have no intention of using the gym. But they want to keep their membership because "what if" type of thing. The ones who actually go almost always do cardio via walking on the treadmill and you can tell because there are literally a hundred plus treadmills in this gym.
    140112%20Planet%20Fitness-05-M.jpg

So they set the monthly membership low to get the most amount of people to sign up and without it being TOO expensive for them to cancel even though they aren't going.

In my opinion, if you are even remotely fit or genuinely intending to get and be fit, planet fitness is NOT the place for you. If it's all you can afford.... good luck. They offer free tanning and their wonderful judgement free zone.

• ruffin04rhodes
    ruffin04rhodes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well...my opinion is its a great place for those who are simply interested in training and not the flash and image of LA Fitness. Been there for 6 years now and I love it. Listen, gyms are like cars, find one you like and drive it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You're likely to get heated arguments on both sides.

The above posters have pointed out the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of some of their stated policies.

I guarantee someone will come along shortly to say THEIR Planet Fitness isn't like that at all; they've never heard the lunk alarm go off; their PF has a squat rack, etc.

Here's the thing.

While I tend to agree more with the former group (even IF my local PF was more like the latter group, I still wouldn't want my dollars supporting them simply because of many of their stated positions), ultimately YOU need to decide what works for YOU. What do YOU want out of your gym? What features are important to YOU? And which gym meets YOUR requirements.

For example, In some smaller communities, PF may be the only 24 hour option - so if extended hours are important to YOU, it may be the right choice.

But I'd explore all your options before making your choice.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Do you both think that is a selling point more than it isn't. Knowing this makes me not want to go to their gym. I am at ideal weight. I am slightly built in my hips. I get women in my face all the time saying I need to gain weight when I am just fine and my doctor thinks I am at a very healthy weight.

I'll put it this way - if Planet Fitness was my only available option as a commercial gym, I'd rather buy the equipment I needed for a home gym and work out there. I don't like their judgey, hypocritical attitude and wouldn't give them a cent of my money.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness gets a fair amount of bad press and I believe much of it is overstated and undeserved. I've been a member at the local PF for about year, and I go a couple times a week to lift/strength train. There are many people there who attend regularly and are serious about their fitness. Also, I can only remember hearing the lunk alarm maybe once or twice.

I guess the bottom line is we all need to do what works best for us and .......... "To each his own"
  • starfish235
    Options
    I go to a gym and pay for a year matinee membership. This means no weekend and you have to get in the door before 4:00 pm. I go to the gym closest to my house. I have heard this is very important. Right now I don't have a membership. When I have one I go 5 days a week. I have some equipment at home that I use when I don't have a membership. The reason I go to a gym is to meet people and find friends. I have old man friends mostly that are close to 80 years old. They barely getting around the walk/run track. I like people that are all sizes and ages. We all have to start some where in our path to being more healthy. I even make friends with muscle builders. They are people too.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Well...my opinion is its a great place for those who are simply interested in training and not the flash and image of LA Fitness. Been there for 6 years now and I love it. Listen, gyms are like cars, find one you like and drive it.
    I think you misspelled Lifetime Fitness. LA Fitness is the blue collar alternative to Lifetime.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I go to a gym and pay for a year matinee membership. This means no weekend and you have to get in the door before 4:00 pm. I go to the gym closest to my house. I have heard this is very important. Right now I don't have a membership.

Huh?
    The reason I go to a gym is to meet people and find friends.

I think you're confusing the purposes of gyms and social clubs.

What does any of this have to do with Planet Fitness?

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    danniplanetfitness4_zps133f34e6.jpg~original

fc560ae958e4e2ad0039cf52c4aa3b28.jpg
    bb90f65e95fb97940894eaa002b7d486.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    anigif_enhanced-4078-1401479852-18.gif
    6967714854_f44611fa83.jpg

In all seriousness, this is a gym that not only provides pizza but also bagels at the front desk throughout the month. They have a neverending supply of tootsie rolls. They ban you from doing all sorts of exercises like jump roping because it's "intimidating".

They don't have a squat rack or a bench press because again "initimidating".

God forbid you are actually in shape because you are likely to get the alarm rung on you or lose your membership altogether because other members find you "intimidating".

tiffany-austin-photos-2.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/too-fit-for-planet-fitness_n_5002658.html

This gym makes its money by selling memberships to 99% overweight and obese people who actually have no intention of using the gym. But they want to keep their membership because "what if" type of thing. The ones who actually go almost always do cardio via walking on the treadmill and you can tell because there are literally a hundred plus treadmills in this gym.
    140112%20Planet%20Fitness-05-M.jpg

So they set the monthly membership low to get the most amount of people to sign up and without it being TOO expensive for them to cancel even though they aren't going.

In my opinion, if you are even remotely fit or genuinely intending to get and be fit, planet fitness is NOT the place for you. If it's all you can afford.... good luck. They offer free tanning and their wonderful judgement free zone.

That bad huh? I bought an exercise bike for cardio at home because apparently that is the quickest way to burn off a few calories but, planet fitness is like the cost of netflix a month. If I had a way of actually getting to the closest one to me without asking for a ride I would consider joining it. For $10 a month though if like alot of people you just want access to a treadmill while you work off a few calories it seems like a decent deal. I mean i looked at a gym that is about 1 mile from my house they wanted $45 a month and a 2 year commitment. To me that is like leasing a Lamborghini when all i really want to do is drive the 1 mile between my house and my job.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    PF states quite clearly in their spots that they are not a gym. I need a gym. I lift heavy, and I will grunt while doing it. Not that I want too, but when you have 405 lbs on your back, you are about as close as you can get to fighting for your life without actually being knifed to death.

If PF is your thing, I begrudge you not, but PF has made it quite clear that I am not welcome, which is fine by me: I hate the color purple.

Worst. Branding. Ever.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My biggest gripe with PF is that I have been a member there for like 9 months and have never gotten free pizza. Everyone talks about this free pizza jawn, but I've never gotten any.

I do LOL at the "no gymtidation" dress code sign though because who is intimidated by someone working out in jeans and boots?? That's where my judgment lies. People that work out in jeans and boots.
  • LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was a member of a PF for about 2 years and never saw the "lunk alarm" at my location.

I joined at a time when I was broke and in grad school so my hours were all over the place. The location was near my house and 24 hours, I enjoyed having that option since my schedule was so unpredictable.

The location I went to was clean, had a friendly staff and yes there were tons of cardio machines (rows upon rows of treadmills!) for some people a 45 minute treadmill walk/run is all they can commit to for the moment. It worked for me in that time period of my life but now that I have different fitness needs I have joined a different gym
  • starfish235
    Options
    Juggernaut I am nearly 59. I don't work. My favorite thing to talk about is fitness and eating right. So yes to me it is a social club of sorts. I belong to a social club for old ladies as well. I love people. gym is another place to meet people. I lost an inch in height and gained it back through gym work outs. So I use the gym as it is meant to he used.
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I prefer the YMCA.
    I just closed out my Planet Fitness membership last year. I found it very difficult to stay focused on fitness with the smell of pizza wafting about in the gym. And as odd as it sounds, I found the facility to be intimidating in and of itself. It reminds me of a huge warehouse with the high ceilings, poor lighting, and echoed acoustics. I also didn't like supporting a company that endorses the practice of tanning, having had family die of melanoma.
    The YMCA seems much more welcoming, has more people I share commonality with, offers more programs/classes/activities, and promotes overall health.
    Plus, the YMCA has a pool :)

FYI - PF also ran into some controversial issues regarding gendered locker rooms but refuse to pony up the dough to just put in a unisex locker room.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Juggernaut I am nearly 59. I don't work. My favorite thing to talk about is fitness and eating right. So yes to me it is a social club of sorts. I belong to a social club for old ladies as well. I love people. gym is another place to meet people. I lost an inch in height and gained it back through gym work outs. So I use the gym as it is meant to he used.

That's all well and good. Just realize the vast majority of people don't view it the same, and if you're trying to socialize with people while they're working out, you're not likely to get very positive responses.

That said, I still don't know what any of that has to do with Planet Fitness, and I see my prediction of the "My PF isn't like that" posts proved to be spot on, so I'll gracefully bow out of this thread.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The fact is most probably 95% of people who sign up for a gym either don't use often, if at all, and the ones that do use it are just trying to shed a few and not really concerned with becoming a "5 percenter". That's who they market to and there is nothing wrong with that at all but that does eliminate serious lifters. That's okay though in my opinion. I have no care about it. To each their own.