Planet fitness

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you actually want out of your gym. i had a membership a couple of years ago simply to utilize the cardio machines when the weather was *kitten* or i didn't feel like schlepping my bike and all of my gear to the office. it was fine for that purpose.

while they do have weights and other resistance machines, it's mostly dumbbells and preloaded barbells. compound movements are the backbone of any good weight training program and you can't do most of them at PF and/or you are substantially limited as to the weight you can move (like doing dumbbell squats is next to pointless for me) so if you really want to lift, PF wouldn't be the place.

it has it's place, but i find the "no judgement zone" is laughable hypocrisy.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Juggernaut I generally say hi to people many times over many weeks. Many times that is all that is said ever. However some people enjoy chatting for a short time. PF was the start of the posting here. In other strings one thing melts or changes into another. I am sorry you are up set by this melting. I did get what I wanted here by asking the question. I thought there was one area in he gym you go if you don't want to be looked at.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    it depends on what you actually want out of your gym. i had a membership a couple of years ago simply to utilize the cardio machines when the weather was *kitten* or i didn't feel like schlepping my bike and all of my gear to the office. it was fine for that purpose.

while they do have weights and other resistance machines, it's mostly dumbbells and preloaded barbells. compound movements are the backbone of any good weight training program and you can't do most of them at PF and/or you are substantially limited as to the weight you can move (like doing dumbbell squats is next to pointless for me) so if you really want to lift, PF wouldn't be the place.

No doubt that it's sufficient for many people, and the membership cost is reasonable (intentionally so, for retention purposes). My issue with them is the ridiculous, overdone hypocrisy. It would be like having an all-you-can-eat sushi bar in my neighborhood, but it's owned by somebody who openly supports <insert cause/agenda you're against here, to avoid derailing the thread>. I love sushi and what he's selling fits my needs, but I'm not going to support his agenda. I'd rather go to the all-you-can-eat sushi bar across town, even if it means I have to drive further and pay a little more.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    PF is the closest gym to where I live. My daughter signed up for it...when I dropped her off, I figured why not go in and check it out. I was greeted by a young sales rep who offered to take me on a tour. 30 seconds into her speal, she said, "At PF we don't cater to bodybuilders". And I'm like...oh really? The light didn't turn on the whole time she was showing me around. Canned speech to make one feel less intimated I guess. No thanks...I'll keep my Gold's Gym pass for now.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    PF is the closest gym to where I live. My daughter signed up for it...when I dropped her off, I figured why not go in and check it out. I was greeted by a young sales rep who offered to take me on a tour. 30 seconds into her speal, she said, "At PF we don't cater to bodybuilders". And I'm like...oh really? The light didn't turn on the whole time she was showing me around. Canned speech to make one feel less intimated I guess. No thanks...I'll keep my Gold's Gym pass for now.

You should have ripped your shirt off your body, hit a Most Muscular pose for her and in your best Ahhnold voice said "I pick things up and put them down!". :D
  • starfish235
    Options
    I suppose if it were the closest to my house I would go there. My gym is 9 min from my house. PF is 20 in traffic. My gym has a pool and several elliptical machines. I like the ones that have arm movements also except for when I have had my day of weight training. My arms are hurting or too tired from that at this point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

No doubt that it's sufficient for many people, and the membership cost is reasonable (intentionally so, for retention purposes). My issue with them is the ridiculous, overdone hypocrisy. It would be like having an all-you-can-eat sushi bar in my neighborhood, but it's owned by somebody who openly supports <insert cause/agenda you're against here, to avoid derailing the thread>. I love sushi and what he's selling fits my needs, but I'm not going to support his agenda. I'd rather go to the all-you-can-eat sushi bar across town, even if it means I have to drive further and pay a little more.

yeah, it's ultimately why I moved on. now i pay $20 for 20 sessions at a local community rec center when i feel the need to bore myself to tears on a piece of cardio equipment...$20 usually takes me through about 6 months.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think that Planet Fitness is very judgmental, especially considering that they're a company who pushes the "no judgment" agenda so hard. Their advertisements stereotype and ridicule people who are in shape and strength train, and they have a "lunk alarm" that patrons can hit to publicly humiliate anybody they feel is acting too much like they're actually in a real gym. They prey on (and foster) the ridiculous misconception that every other gym in the world is full of giant meatheads on steroids and bikini centerfolds who will ridicule and laugh at you if you dare step foot in their hallowed gym. Instead, Planet Fitness ridicules and humiliates you if you happen to be in shape and lift anything heavier than soup cans. All in the name of *not* being judgmental, of course. Because they're a "no judgment" zone.

So much this. Their marketing agenda really ticks me off. I will never give them a dime of my money.

• starfish235
    Options
    My place is partly paid for by the county. It is 49 for a full membership. The matinee is 35 dollars a month if you have a year membership. It is so busy during the evenings I chose to go during the day any way. If you go and pay per time it is now down to 7 dollars. It was 9 a day per time. I am glad that PF offers cheap gym memberships. Then even college students can work out or people that have very little money.
    I like seeing body builders as well. I am a people watcher. I like seeing the other people too. I paint portrait and have taught it. So I love differences.
  • speedygonzales32
    speedygonzales32 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I started with planet fitness years ago when I was very obese a pint the plan was to loose weight - just like someone before said the monthly fee was so small I never bothered to cancel because what if I want one day go work out ?!!! So at the end I payed them at least 150 and wen maybe 3x.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think that Planet Fitness is very judgmental, especially considering that they're a company who pushes the "no judgment" agenda so hard. Their advertisements stereotype and ridicule people who are in shape and strength train, and they have a "lunk alarm" that patrons can hit to publicly humiliate anybody they feel is acting too much like they're actually in a real gym. They prey on (and foster) the ridiculous misconception that every other gym in the world is full of giant meatheads on steroids and bikini centerfolds who will ridicule and laugh at you if you dare step foot in their hallowed gym. Instead, Planet Fitness ridicules and humiliates you if you happen to be in shape and lift anything heavier than soup cans. All in the name of *not* being judgmental, of course. Because they're a "no judgment" zone.

I never have thought of it this way but I think you have hit the nail on the head!!!
  • speedygonzales32
    speedygonzales32 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I joined PF last year in September again and I also hate those pizza nights or bagel Tuesday's ... I don't want to smell that when I walk in and want to work out!!!

In my gym employees warm their food up between 8-9:30 am and the vents are so bad the entire gym smells! I get so hungry and miserable
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think they are all run different. if mine has pizza and bagels and candy... I've never seen it (and im there 5 days a week at least LOL)

i love mine. I may hate another location.

I see people of all ages and fitness levels, people in various dress, people in the free weight section (and yes i hear the occasional weight drop or grunt and ive never heard any alarm go off lol) and of course, the ever popular cardio and strength machines.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i just want to go to one and set the lunk alarm off with a deadlift PR so i can say i did it..dont really care if i get the boot haha
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The only thing Planet Fitness is good for is trolling it and trying to get them to set off the lunk alarm. If you want to actually get in shape, go find a real gym that doesn't give out free pizza and candy at the door.

Just LOL at this place.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was there a few years ago due to location. It was probably before the commercials but the lunk alarm, color code and all that was in effect. The great thing was the price: 9.99 per month. I wanted to pay for a year up front but they did not allow for that. The free weights section was not terrible but limited. The max dumbbell weights were 80 pounds per dumbbell. They had plenty of Olympic benches and weights. Maybe one squat rack.

I did set down a barbell - not drop but just set down on the floor like I normally do and it triggered the alarm. It was not much at all. I was going to complain but figured it would be a losing battle. I did hear the alarm go off several times during the months I was there with perceived dropped weights and maybe a grunt. I was not there too long - I moved and joined a different gym. Canceling the membership required a written letter. I was not aware of pizza nights or anything like that.

Best gym (and most expensive gym) I have been to is Lifetime but very expensive - one month there equaled 1 year at planet fitness.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you are someone who is going to the gym just to get in shape/lose weight, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you are new to going to the gym, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you are not using all the weights in a 310lb oly weight kit, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you like to get a tan, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you want a place where all the weights are put back in place, and every station wiped down 50 times a day, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you don't mind that half the people there are 50+lbs over weight, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you don't mind that some of the people there have disabilities, Planet Fitness is great. Got folks on oxygen and folks in wheelchairs at the one I go to.
    If you don't mind having to go out to the lobby if you want to have a phone conversation, Plant Fitness is great.
    If you don't mind a place that seems to have more stations than bodies, Planet Fitness is great.
    If you don't mind a place that is not going to try and sell you products, or a personal trainer, Plant Fitness is great. Yes, they have products for sale. Other than asking me if I wanted sun tan lotion or goggles the first time i used the tanning beds, no one has ever mentioned them to me.

Currently going there, mostly because my wife travels a lot. Planet Fitness is everywhere. Our old chain is in 2 states, 14 locations, 6 of which are within 50 miles of home.
    While I miss being able to use barbells, rather than Smith Machines, Plant Fitness has 8 Smith Machine stations... vs my old gym which had 2 squat racks, and 5 bench stations, and there were times I was having to wait because while I had a station I couldn't get enough weights to hit my numbers.
    I am learning to use dumbbells in place of barbells. Planet Fitness has about 4 sets that go up to 75lbs. Most of the people there can't bench two 75lb dumbbells. A lot of them likely couldn't squat them either.
    Planet Fitness has a ton of stations, and all the machines seem to be in really good shape. My old gym often had machines that were down for repairs for 3 weeks at a time.

To me, Planet Fitness is great for the casual gym person. I am not trying to get ready for anything harder than a Tough Mudder, and Planet Fitness works fine for that.

Your mileage may vary.
  • lilsanti
    lilsanti Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love PF. I live close to one, it's clean, the staff is friendly. And if you don't like it, that's fine. But I always feel intimidated at flashier gyms because I can't run 20 miles or lift hundreds of pounds. It was embarrassing for me to walk or lift light weights or just be not skinny there. Some things work for some people, other places don't.
  • EbonyGlitter
    EbonyGlitter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went to PF for the first time last night. I had already done my workout for the day but my roomie wanted some company and a little extra cardio never hurts.
    Well.
    The smell of Papa Johns smacked me in the face as soon as I entered. It wasn't quite so pervasive when we got to the machines so I let it go, got a good work out in.
    Waiting for my roomie to exit their hydromassage bed, and back up front near the pizza...lobby full of people munching pizza...girl next to me eating a slice that I wanted desperately to rip from her hands. My god, I couldn't leave fast enough. That pizza night is a cruel thing IMO...I come to the gym to focus and I can't do that with the smell of delicious artery sludge wafting through the air. I also have an eating disorder that is triggered by pizza way too often, which is why I avoid places where one would expect it....
    I couldn't take the gaudy purple splashed on everything and "no gymtimidation" on every damn machine. The people there were a good mix of resolutioners and serious fit folks, none of them bothered me, but the suggestion by the logo that I should feel "safer" at PF pissed me off.
    I also hate their advertising. 0/10 would not go back.

I'm currently a member at a brand new LA Fitness. No one pretends to care about my insecurities or feeds me there. It's nice.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    i just want to go to one and set the lunk alarm off with a deadlift PR so i can say i did it..dont really care if i get the boot haha
    That's a dumb idea. Why even bother? You only reinforce the stereotype they are perpetuating. Besides, are you sure that by walking in PF you won't just lose your gains by mearly being there? I wouldn't risk it.