Alcohol

Options
As college students, my friend and I joined this app to shed a few of those freshman pounds for summer. However, we have found it hard to lose with the amount of drinking that occurs on the weekends (and the amount of drunk eating that ensues). No matter how much we work out I feel like we are back at square one on Monday from all of the extra calories. I know that we can't be the only ones struggling with this...any suggestions?

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Stop drinking at weekends :)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Don't keep 'drunk food' in the house. That way, if you want it, you have to REALLY make the effort to go out and get it.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    its tuff but depending on how motivated you are take a couple weeks off and let the metabolic rate jump back up im determined and cut it out completely for now its really hard but if you cant completely cut it every little bit helps cut down maybe just drink one night a weekend?
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking at weekends :)

LOL!!! But true!
  • mhopp71
    mhopp71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sorry but this is a pretty easy one.,....stop drinking!
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    stop drinking so much
  • bigmoondogg
    Options
    Budweiser Selects 55!!! :)
  • nathanellsworth
    nathanellsworth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do to combat the problem with weekends (I typically drink alot and eat alot as well) is to give myself a cushion throughout the week. If you are properly counting your calories and workouts it won't be hard to know just how many calories you're under for the week. I wouldn't worry about day to day calories so much as the weekly amount. The iphone app is good for this because it has a weekly feature that shows just how much you're over or under for the week. It may be hard to count the calories on the weekend but its worth a try. Good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    drink a little less and make different drink choices when you do.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It's very hard especially in college- I would suggest spend at LEAST one weekend night being the DD- depending on what you choose to drink you can potential save hundreds of calories! I won't say you shouldn't drink at all because I've been to college...I know how it goes. Mostly it's about self control and what's mroe important to you? all that beer and the resulting hangover? Or working on living a healthier lifestyle?
  • eener74
    eener74 Posts: 3
    Options
    In the perfect world I'd tell you to stop drinking! But we are not perfect! LOL What I have found that helps is limiting my drinking to only one night a week. Also I drink mixed drinks with diet pop, instead of beer. I'm not saying this is the "cure all", but it has helped me! Good luck! :drinker:
  • frozenimage
    frozenimage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make beer, wine and mead for fun. I make 5 and 6 gallon batches, so I have a fair amount of alcohol running around my house. I learned last year that you can have your alcohol and drink it too! What I did was treat my alcohol just like any other food group. It has a caloric value, just add it in to your daily tracking and counter it with exercise. If you are going to drink alot......exercise alot, Remember that alcohol in general is an empty calorie, so building muscle is hard to do, but I lost 50 lbs while drinking beer (good beer!).

Hope this helps

Jed
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I was there at one point not too terribly long ago. Well... I turn 30 tomorrow and it seems like a lifetime ago when I was in college. But still, I was in that same cycle. I kept it real though... I know I wasn't going to be super lean during that time period given the lifestyle I was leading. But that's life... it's all about compromises. And it was worth it to me at the time.... I had a blast, met some of the best friends of my life, and built some of my wildest memories.

I don't want to advocate binge drinking. Heck, my daughter just turned 1 and I'd love to steer her away from that path... I'm going to do my best. But I know the reality of college life for most folks.

There were times when I did want to get lean during college and when that came... I took things to relatively extreme levels by following a protein sparing modified fast. Essentially I'd keep only the nutrients that maintain health/muscle and eat nothing else except my beer. This tended to net out to a deficit from week to week and yield fat loss. But I can't say I recommend it.

Long story short... understand the compromises you're making.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    moderation is the key.. i still have my glass of wine in the evenings and maybe a couple if we r with friends and i have lost 23lbs in 93 days... just account for the drink in your allowance, oh and i can vaguely remember being a student.wayyy back so i symapthise!!!
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Switch to liquor and diet drinks (rather than liquor and juice) and/or drink light beer. I also workou twice as hard the day of going out as well as the day after (no matter how hung over). Also, double your water intake for those days as well.
  • nathanellsworth
    nathanellsworth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't stop drinking... I drink every night and don't gain weight... it's all about counting everything else properly and understanding how much you can drink. If you do it right like me you can drink alot. Believe me.
  • ladderhorse
    Options
    Remind yourself what your end goal is and ask yourself if you'll seriously reach it if you drink as much as you do, and if the answer is no then stop drinking after you finish that bottle
  • kellico28
    kellico28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drink Vodka Tonic at the bar- virtually no calories, and you have less drinks total since it is liquor. Stay away from beer if possible!
  • fidunfi
    fidunfi Posts: 1
    Options
    Vodka & Soda water... And instead of dirty burgers, eat 1 (two, if you have to) wholemeal pitta stuffed with tasty veg (tomatoes, baby spinach) and a bit of hummus or thin spread of pesto when you get home - that's what my friend and I did when we were students trying to lose weight and still have fun!
  • vruth867
    vruth867 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't stop drinking! That's crazy talk! 1 shot of vodka is about 60 calories. Mix with club soda and lime and it's no additional calories. Or with flavored water. Just stay away from beer!