Strength Training Videos?

Options
Like most of you, I am working on ditching a lot of excess weight. I am counting my calories and losing at a good rate. I have an exercise bike and a treadmill at home and I use them both every day. Things are going great. However, as I have been reading through the forum I see a lot of people saying they wish they had started strength training earlier in their journey. I am pretty intimidated at the gym by all the huge guys lifting weights so I was hoping some of you might have some good suggestions for strength training at home. Maybe a good DVD set or online videos? Thanks for your time.

Replies

• tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It's not a DVD or video, but I would say to start with StrongLifts, StrongCurves, or Starting Strength. You can find these free online and they're pretty self explanatory.

Best of luck! L :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You can also look up You Are Your Own Gym or the strength specific Fitness Blender videos on Youtube. Starting with bodyweight as both of these offer is a nice way to get accustomed and see if you want to invest in some home equipment or move onto a full lifting program as per the previous posters suggestions.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender has many exercise routines, with dumbbells or without, body weight, yoga, cardio, step. Different lengths and difficulties. You may want to give them a try.
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions, thank you all!
  • SPotts1991
    SPotts1991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there's a wicked app called "seven" there is loads of circuits on there and it's all 7 mins long and in fact you can extend the circuit types there's also fat burn and strengthening type of stuff on the app. Let me know how you get on x
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    SPotts1991 wrote: »
    Hi there's a wicked app called "seven" there is loads of circuits on there and it's all 7 mins long and in fact you can extend the circuit types there's also fat burn and strengthening type of stuff on the app. Let me know how you get on x

I just downloaded the app and plan to try it tonight. Thanks!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I learned most of my basic form through Mark Rippetoe's videos. Highly suggest.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Some good suggestions above ^

However, forget about the big muscly guys in the weights section at the gym. I used to feel intimidated too - In fact, I worried that they'd laugh at me for being 'overweight, female and trying to lift'. These were my own insecurities. Completely. These men are doing their own thing, concentrating on their own work-out's and their own goals. They are there for their own reasons just as you are. I hope you have some good success with all mentioned in the comments but know that, down the line - the gym is not to be feared. Best of luck to you :)
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In order to avoid injury, I think it's pretty important to start out with someone experienced, such as a personal trainer, who can give you feedback on whether you keep good form during weight lifting exercises. They can also give you the latest advice on dynamic stretching routines, on how to progress safely, keep your motivation, etc. Once you are confident you know what you are doing, you can always continue on your own. Meeting a personal trainer in the gym will make it less intimidating and you'll find that many gyms have women-only weight training rooms or timetables.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to spend a ton of money, but I bought one each of 8, 10, and 15lb dumbbells. Then I use YouTube for videos. I do them with out weights frequently. There's lots of fitness blender videos with and without weights. I like pilates, you get to know your ability and the routine then can add a weight here and there to challenge yourself.