How many of you log housework/cleaning?

skinnyinnotime
skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I hadn't thought of doing it until today, it worked out 112 cals for 40 mins!

Replies

• I dont really log it in because it really depends on how extensive your cleaning is... I try not to log in EVERY LITTLE THING I DO so I know that whatever is there... I might have a little extra and even if I come in under calorie I feel good about it
  • skinnyinnotime
    Yes I know what you mean, which is why i put 40mins instead of the 60 I actually did...also might not workout tonight so was looking at a way of making myself think i was burning some cals lol!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    IF IT BREAKS A SWEAT, I LOG IT, THERE'S GOT TO BE CALORIES GOING SOMEWHERE!!!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    I never log it
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    I dont' because I have my activity level set higher so those sort of calories are already accounted for. If your activity is sedentary then logging cleaning calories would be above your taken into account number and so should be counted.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,324 Member
    I only log it if outta of the norm, heavy scrubbing moving furniture ect
    daily light house work i do not.
  • skinnyinnotime
    IF IT BREAKS A SWEAT, I LOG IT, THERE'S GOT TO BE CALORIES GOING SOMEWHERE!!!

I like your thinking!
  • i never log it, because i assume it's built into the calories i need to survive based on my profile of sedentary, moderately active, etc. i also walk to and from work (it's a little under a mile each way) every day, but i only log it if i ate a lot and don't want to see that red number on my page! :)
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    I don't think house cleaning should be considered a "workout"...house cleaning is part of your everyday life and if you want to have a clean house, you should clean it. Now if you want to lose weight ...you should do a "workout"
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    I only log it if it's taking me more than an hour, and cutting into what would normally be my workout time. Some nights I NEED to stay home and just clean for 60-120 minutes rather than make that gym trip.... so, I put the HRM on, and go to town. Plus it helps justify the "YAY MY APARTMENT IS CLEAN!" Glass of wine afterwords. :)
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    I never log it prob because I rarely do it. Lol I don't judge this its controversial. I know some who are really big and just moving is tough and cleaning is a workout. I think if you are sweating you are burning. That's how to decide. I walk a mile before I run but I don't log it.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    I figure I've been cleaning almost most of my adult life, so it was something I was already used to doing and was already in my routine. I only log it if it's one of those days where I spend at least half the day to most the day 'deep' cleaning. Or really do something that makes me break a sweat. Even then I only count half of the calories that MFP estimates.
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    I sure do. I am not an "exercise person." I believe in activities. Activities like house cleaning accomplishes a task. I am not a fan of running around and getting nowhere fast. So I find things to do that I enjoy. I have to find something that works for ME if I am to make this weight loss work and remain part of my lifestyle. Any gym exercise I have ever tried and I have tried them all never lasted more than a month. But I have danced for a lifetime. I have cleaned house and done yard work for a lifetime. I am a good dancer ;-) and my house and yard are well kept up and look great. IMHO ;-) My downfall has been DESSERTS. Oh I love them and now I have ditched them for a better figure and a chance to look thin once again.
  • skinnyinnotime
    I don't think house cleaning should be considered a "workout"...house cleaning is part of your everyday life and if you want to have a clean house, you should clean it. Now if you want to lose weight ...you should do a "workout"

Thanks for your thoughts, but it's not what i asked!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    not me never have done!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    I do not log any regular activity (i.e. house work, yard work, shopping, home/auto repair, etc).

I only log things exercise related (V ball league, Running, machines, weights, various tournaments for sports etc.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    It wouldn't even cross my mind to log regular housework.
    Surely that's already taken into account in both the amount of calories we (as men or women) are recommended to eat each day by the government as well as the numbers we are given her on MFP taking in to account our height, weights, ages and activity levels?

Perhaps if it was something out of the norm like a whole day moving furniture for a house move or building a shed etc.

It's interesting to note that a number of people who DO log regular housework do so so they can skip a workout or not see the numbers here on MFP go 'red', isn't it?
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Not unless it's beyond the norm like moving furniture or painting the ceiling or something that would make me skip a workout.
    Regular housecleaning that I did before MFP I don't consider as exercise.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    the only time I log it is one day every two weeks when I go clean for some old people for three hours straight. Not my usual day and it's lots of scrubbing, etc... And I only log two of the three hrs so I don't over calculate the calories.
  • Mamma2riea
    Mamma2riea Posts: 13
    I log it only if it was heavy cleaning, and only log half the time I actually did it :)
This discussion has been closed.