IBS and GERD support

Options
There doesn't appear to be an active group to support those of us trying to navigate a healthy diet while juggling IBS, GERD, or other inflammatory digestive ills. Are there others out there who would be interested in starting a friendly support thread or group?

I'm interested in creating a supportive environment, with people who understand that everybody's digestive triggers are different and that there is no "one-size" solution (bad experience with a GERD group elsewhere that was taken over by the discord between strident people pushing the latest "Vinegar is a miracle cure" on one hand and "grain-free vegan cures all ills" on the other).

To introduce myself. I'm Ari, mid-40's, female. Back on MFP while recovering from either viral gastroenteritis or the worst IBS flare that I've ever had. I typically eat a moderate fiber, veggie-rich, flexetarian diet and I'm trying to navigate what to add back to my diet and how quickly. I'm looking for suggestions of tasty things to eat instead of another plate of chicken and potatoes.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and Crohn's. Crohn's and IBS are not the same thing but they are both GI issues
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I can't eat raw veggies and fruits, most cooked vegs and fruit (I can have potato, squash and apple sauce), seeds, nuts, legumes, red meat, lactose, high fat or sugar, caffeine, red meat, pork, etc. When I am in a really bad flare I get iv nutrition (tpn).
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding @singingflutelady

I'm familiar with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis (UC runs in my family). That is a lot of dietary limitations to have to juggle. What is your favorite thing to cook when you are feeling well?
  • A_new_beginning_tmn
    Options
    I have had ulcerative colitis for over 20 yrs now. I have learned my body does not like raw veggies. If i do eat salad i have to make sure i do not work within the 24 hours. I have not had milk or ice cream in 20 years. I have even tried lactose free. I am able to tolerate cheese and yogurt in moderation. I have also looked for groups pertaining to people with GI issues, if you find one can you post a link. Thanks!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am undiagnosed but I have a strong suspicion that I have ulcerative colitis. I'm waiting for tests but my symptoms are definitely diet related.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I have GERD as a symptom of an underlying issue. I've been on a double dose of omeprazole for the past few years and, regardless of what I eat, I rarely have an issue anymore. If I do, a quick Pepcid Complete does the trick. Are you on any meds?
  • gettingittogether15
    Options
    Yes!!! I think we need a group!!
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, acid reflux, and am living with an Iliostomy. My diet is very limited. No gluten, low lactose, no corn, no red meat, no pork and no Insoluble fiber. Leaves me quite limited and hungry.
  • leanneewillard
    leanneewillard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad I've come across this group!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Welcome all.

Yes, I am in my 10th year of being on a PPI for the GERD. I was put on something temporarily to break the cycle of my recent lower-GI flare. I guess I'll find out later in the month if I have to stay on it permanently for the IBS or if my Doctor wants me to try the FODMAP diet (or something else).

If folks want a group rather than just turning this thread into a favorite, it looks like the most active pre-existing one is http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1311-fighting-crohns-ibs-ibd

Otherwise, if someone will volunteer to co-moderate (and we can come up with a name) I will start a new one.