Overweight Vegetarians

Options
I have discovered something I did not think was possible. Overweight vegetarians. I thought this was a fluke until I started seeing friends and family who are overweight and vegetarian. How can this be?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Because it doesn't matter what you eat, eating more calories than you burn for an extend period will make you overweight.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Cause they ate more than they burn and the excess energy is stored as fat just like everyone else.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can eat too much pasta... easily.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are vegetarian because they are opposed to killing animals not because they were health minded. My vegan friend will eat an entire package of Oreos with no thought to her health at all.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm an overweight vegetarian because I like cheese, bread, pasta, etc. and had no concept of counting calories or moderation until recently. Vegetarian does not mean that someone only eats vegetables, or that they care about their health.

Now that I am eating in moderation, I still don't eat tons of veggies. I still eat cheese, bread, etc, just way less of it.
  • NeverFearChange
    NeverFearChange Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    because "calories in vs. calories out"
    Fat vegan here *waves hand vigorously*
    Not proud of that either, but i'm working on it.
  • Chase_12345
    Chase_12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have discovered something I did not think was possible. Overweight vegetarians. I thought this was a fluke until I started seeing friends and family who are overweight and vegetarian. How can this be?

Chip,candey,fries,cake,brownies these food are not meat
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Being an overweight vegetarian is... really easy actually. Oreos are vegan. Macaroni and cheese is vegetarian.

I went veg for Lent one year, and the first two weeks I felt super sick. Realized it was because, despite my best efforts to get enough protein, I was eating tons of grains and carbs. Once I realized that I switched to vegetables instead of just pasta pasta pasta. But yeah, calories in vs calories out.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Why on Earth would vegetarians not be overweight? (to be honest, your question comes across somewhere between horribly naive and somewhat insulting)
    You become overweight by eating more calories than you expend. Where those calories come from doesn't matter.
    While lots of vegetarian foods are low in calories, lots of others aren't:
    Margarita pizza, deep fried camembert, pasta with alfredo sauce, potato chips, and most desserts are all vegetarian (well, unless you use unusual recipes).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    madammags wrote: »

Why on Earth would vegetarians not be overweight
    ? (to be honest, your question comes across somewhere between horribly naive and somewhat insulting)
    You become overweight by eating more calories than you expend. Where those calories come from doesn't matter.
    While lots of vegetarian foods are low in calories, lots of others aren't:
    Margarita pizza, deep fried camembert, pasta with alfredo sauce, potato chips, and most desserts are all vegetarian (well, unless you use unusual recipes).

This. Along with tacos, french fries, ice cream, cheesecake, ranch dressing, i could go on.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    good grief. pasta, cheese, bread.
  • pippiheartsberry
    pippiheartsberry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im a veggo. There isnt a great deal of protein we can eat everyday so we end up eating more carbs - purely to keep us feeling fuller. And I can have TONS of vegetables and water but it tends to digested super soon.I tend to eat fairly healthy but the struggle is always to keep myself feeling full.

It is actually really, really easy to become overweight as a vegetarian.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Potato chips and beer are vegetarian...
    Vegetarians eat a lot more than just fruits and veggies! I'v been veg for many years now... I LOVE french fries, pizza, and Mac N cheese!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Lol fat vegetarian right here! Ben and Jerry's is veggie friendly, baby. Mint chocolate cookie in my chubby little tummy.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle. We also have to choose to be healthful vegetarians, and eat more veggies and whole foods than cheesecake and french fries. And it is super hard eating out on the go-- we can't get the chicken sandwich, or the bean burrito made with lard.

I'm a fat vegetarian. But my lab values are amazing, because my veins aren't filled with animal fat haha.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    <--- No longer an accurate depiction of my physique.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know a vegetarian who hates vegetables. I swear 90% of her diet is chocolate. She's not over weight shockingly but she definitely doesn't have a healthy diet. Another vegetarian I know is very overweight. Guessing whatever she eats is higher calories than she's burning... same as anyone else overweight.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a friend who became vegetarian for ethical reasons but in less than a year, she could not abide the weight she put on. She is very conscientious about what she eats, and she said it was really difficult *for her* to get the bare bones protein she needed without going way over on calories. Restaurant meals are especially bad, she said. In the final analysis, vanity trumped ethics. I don't blame her for trying it, though. How does anyone know what works without giving it an honest try?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are vegetarian because they are opposed to killing animals not because they were health minded. My vegan friend will eat an entire package of Oreos with no thought to her health at all.

I've heard that Oreos are not suitable for vegans as they have the possibility of cross contamination of milk at the factory.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

I've heard that Oreos are not suitable for vegans as they have the possibility of cross contamination of milk at the factory.

Not to mention most vegans are also conscious of the environment. Oreo brand cookies contain palm oil which is destroying large amounts of rainforest and habitats.