Evening snack - tips on how to avoid.

Options
lc3181
lc3181 Posts: 1 Member
How do you keep from snacking after dinner and before bed? It's the hardest time for me, I crave something sweet. What do you do to push through the temptation?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a snack every night.
  • ceestore
    ceestore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Leave the situation that encourages you to snack. I used to be a terrible night snacker but broke it by physically leaving my living room (trigger spot) and doing other things - even going to bed if I needed to. Worked well, broke the habit that was years ago. Also tell yourself how dumb it is to let a "snack" be in control of you!
  • cottonbandana
    cottonbandana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you! I find I'm getting hungry again a couple of hours after dinner, what I've found that really works for me is having a low/sugar free hot drink. I love the Avalanche hot chocolate or you could find a sugar free Chai latte maybe? I drink it in a big 500ml mug and it definitely keeps me away from any extra snacking before bed.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I know your question is for tips on how to avoid an evening snack, but the other option would be to reserve a few calories everyday for an evening snack.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Either make room in your evening routine for a snack, or look at changing your habit, or do both.

I found this a useful guide on how to go about changing habits (not a very quick process):
    A guide to changing Habits (it's the Appendix of Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit, which I found quite interesting reading).
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I save calories for a snack every single night. It's my favorite part of the day. :)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    +1 for saving calories for an evening snack. If I don't, I get hungry and wake up at night, plus if this is going to be my long term way of eating then it's not feasible that I don't have a nibble while I'm watching to with hubby. It's about what you choose to eat
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If you habitually like to snack before bed, just have calories for it. I purposely snack till 11:30pm each night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Plan it and portion it in advance. Sometimes a taste is all it takes
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am a shocking snacker in the night. It's boredom, tiredness, stress from work and comfort. Now with my new job, I get home later, so hubby who is now on MFP too has a vegetarian dinner on the table, and cleans up so I can eat, chill out and what crappy TV and veg out mentally, before I head to bed for an early night. I get up at 5.15am to make it for the gym early, and he's so supportive. I try to distract myself by going to bed early, latish dinner, and not keeping snackish foods in the house. I buy those Jarrah Choc-o-lait satchets of hot chocolate as a treat as they have no sugar, and I also have fruit if I am desperate. I just try to distract myself with sugar free soda, and despite what the media says, they do help me lose weight because they have few calories and stop me craving sweet juices. I struggle to drink water (I do that at the gym and at work though along with herbal teas).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    I know your question is for tips on how to avoid an evening snack, but the other option would be to reserve a few calories everyday for an evening snack.

This ^^

I eat around 200 calories at breakfast, around 300 for lunch & 450 for dinner, the rest I snack on most of the evening.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I usually find that if I've eaten enough throughout the day, I don't feel as powerless over the calls of the late night snack. However, lately, I've been eating dinner between 5 and 6, so I find that I need a snack later on before bed. So I have a yogurt and sometimes some nuts.

When it comes down to fighting a craving, or saying no to a snack, you're looking at changing a behaviour pattern. You want food, so you eat food. You feel rewarded and happy. So the next time you want food, you eat food. So it continues. This isn't always a bad thing. Obviously, we need food to live. Food is still a part of our cultures and traditions. But sometimes, we don't need food. We don't even really want food, it's just a pattern. The next time that happens, don't give in to the urge. Go take a walk, read a book, turn on Netflix, have a nap, anything it takes to not give in to that craving. This shows yourself that just because you have the urge to eat, doesn't mean you need to eat.

It takes some practice, but with time you start to rebuild those patterns in your mind and learn to differentiate between hunger and habit. That's the difference between making room in your diary for a bedtime snack or learning how to go to bed without it.

I hope this is helpful. If it is something that interests you, google cognitive behavioural therapy.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    That's what I try to do. Sometimes it's a small piece of dark chocolate or a piece of fruit, etc. I have found when my dinner is higher in protein, my snack craving is diminished.

Kate
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat the vast majority of my calories at dinner. Having something really substantial for dinner means I don't get hungry at night, even if I stay up to 3am.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    All these tips are great! The best thing that has worked for me (and my schedule..so far) is eating my last meal around 7 pm. That way I've eaten the rest of my calories and off to bed.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I always plan for an evening snack. Makes me happy!
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is the hardest time for me too, I feel your pain. I frequently don't have calories left in my budget after dinner as I eat a pretty decent breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, my want to reach for a snack in the evenings has NOTHING to do with hunger or not being satiated by earlier meals. I'm purely driven to snack by the want to eat something sweet or tasty. Has nothing to do with any true biological need for me, ha.

Most nights I'll have a big cup of green tea before making any decisions - sometimes this helps reduce the cravings and I can go to bed happily without a snack. Other nights, even after a mug of tea, I'm still wanting something. I'll usually go for a square of 80 - 90% dark chocolate and that does the trick.

I'm also experimenting with having dinner later than usual - in the past I've always had dinner around 7pm or before. At the moment I'm seeing if having dinner at 8pm helps at all. Too early to say for sure but that seems to help too.

Lastly, I try not to go to bed too late, I aim to be in bed by about 10:30 or 11...... That means less time for me to think about all the yummy snacks I'd like to have ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I plan a snack every evening. I usually have a couple of hard cooked eggs and maybe some cheese or veggies and dip or some popcorn, depending on where my macros are.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I find if I am doing something I am less likely to snack. I knit, embroider, or do some cleaning. It keeps my hands busy and I am less likely to want to eat something. Another "trick" is to have a drink of water, tea, or other low calorie drink, often times when you think you are hungry it's actually thirst. I do try to leave a few calories available for an evening snack otherwise.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    there is a thread under "motivation" called "say no to late night snacking" the accountability is helpful for me. I agree that saving calories for an after dinner snack is logical. unfortunately, once i start...... so it's best for ME to not start.