Overweight Vegetarians

Options

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    madammags wrote: »
    I have discovered something I did not think was possible. Overweight vegetarians. I thought this was a fluke until I started seeing friends and family who are overweight and vegetarian. How can this be?

Why on Earth would vegetarians not be overweight
    ? (to be honest, your question comes across somewhere between horribly naive and somewhat insulting)
    You become overweight by eating more calories than you expend. Where those calories come from doesn't matter.
    While lots of vegetarian foods are low in calories, lots of others aren't:
    Margarita pizza, deep fried camembert, pasta with alfredo sauce, potato chips, and most desserts are all vegetarian (well, unless you use unusual recipes).

This. Along with tacos, french fries, ice cream, cheesecake, ranch dressing, i could go on.

French fries. Over weight vegetarian here and I blame the french fries :smirk:
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I know a bunch of fat "vegetarians" and they just eat cheese and junk food.

A true vegetarian is someone who knows how to cook and who knows about nutrition and how to create complete proteins with nuts and beans and rice etc combined with assorted vegetables.

I also knew one girl who was well over 300 pounds and she always made it a point to make sure everyone knew "she only ate carrots" and had a medical condition that is keeping her from losing weight. we found her in a McDonald's eating 3 Big Macs one day at lunch. So just because someone claims something, doesn't make it true.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »

A true vegetarian is someone who knows how to cook and who knows about nutrition and how to create complete proteins with nuts and beans and rice etc combined with assorted vegetables.

I also knew one girl who was well over 300 pounds and she always made it a point to make sure everyone knew "she only ate carrots" and had a medical condition that is keeping her from losing weight. we found her in a McDonald's eating 3 Big Macs one day at lunch. So just because someone claims something, doesn't make it true.

Guess what? "True vegetarians" can absolutely eat cheese and junk food and still be "true vegetarians." A "true vegetarian" simply doesn't eat meat. Period. Nowhere in the definition of vegetarianism does it say you have to also "know how to cook and [know] about nutrition." I'm pretty sure at this point you're just trying to start an argument.
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

Guess what? "True vegetarians" can absolutely eat cheese and junk food and still be "true vegetarians." A "true vegetarian" simply doesn't eat meat. Period. Nowhere in the definition of vegetarianism does it say you have to also "know how to cook and [know] about nutrition." I'm pretty sure at this point you're just trying to start an argument.

If you really want to nit pick then I suppose you are technically correct. Does that make you feel better?

Now for the grown ups in the room..... Please add. "In my own personal opinion" to my above statement.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My niece, a vegetarian, is about 250 pounds overweight. One of her favorites is french fries dipped in mayonnaise.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Cheese fries with ranch did me in. And fried cheese sticks. And fried potatoes. And snack cakes. And milkshakes. And yogurt with granola.
  • xLyric
    Options

If you really want to nit pick then I suppose you are technically correct. Does that make you feel better?

Now for the grown ups in the room..... Please add. "In my own personal opinion" to my above statement.

Oh, okay, it's your opinion. Sorry. I was going off of facts like an educated human being, but of course, you're the grown up. :smile:
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    While I've never been overweight, I gained 20-25 lbs in a year eating as a vegetarian. (Not when I became a vegetarian, but after being vegetarian for about five years.) Had moved out and thus just ate what I wanted when I wanted it...which happened to be too much pizza, pasta, Chipotle, cake, cookies, fries, etc. - basically I had no will power and ate like crap because I was relatively slim and "could get away with it" essentially.

Even when I started eating like a vegan (so, cutting out the easily accessible pizza, cake, cookies that I could order for delivery at midnight) I only lost about 10 lbs. And they started creeping back up when I started relying too heavily on pasta etc. and only started coming off again when I focused on watching my calories, cooking better food, etc.

Also while this isn't on the original topic, but I'm tossing this out there since oreos were mentioned... but personally I don't freak out too much about cross contamination issues. I feel like if it's not an ingredient in my food, not on my food or in my food, that's generally good enough for me to feel like I'm not contributing to the meat industry. No, I won't pick cheese or meat off a sandwich to eat it, but I won't freak out if my veggie burger is cooked on the same grill as something else at a restaurant. I'm more careful at home and won't willingly mix things. I feel like, personally, drawing such harsh lines makes the commitment more difficult than it has to be and scares some people away from it, thinking it's "all or nothing". I'd rather do as much as possible than get overwhelmed and give up after someone on the internet revokes my "vegan card" because I ate an oreo or something.
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options

Oh, okay, it's your opinion. Sorry. I was going off of facts like an educated human being, but of course, you're the grown up. :smile:

Your internet law degree sure is paying off tonight!!

In MY opinion.... people who claim to be "vegetarian" but don't understand nutrition and how to eat a healthy balanced diet, are simply people who have chosen not to consume meat products.

In order to classify yourself as something, you generally need to have a certain amount of knowledge and expertise in that field.

Just because you flip a coin into a panhandlers cup, doesn't make you a humanitarian. Just because you love and take care of your pets doesn't make you a veterinarian.

People can call themselves whatever the heck they like, but in my own opinion, (and in spite of your best efforts, people are still allowed to have them) if you don't show a level of nutritional knowledge to support it, you arnt a vegetarian.

Now if you know about the nutritional aspects and still love your cheese and junk food, that just makes you human!

Btw I am not a vegetarian, I love meat!!

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians don't eat meat. You can eat 1000 calories of trail mix in five minutes; ice cream, candy, chocolate, etc. Meat doesn't make you fat, lmao.
  • xLyric
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Also:

"If you think vaccines cause autism you are expressing something factually wrong, not an opinion. The fact that you may still believe that vaccines cause autism does not move your misconception into the realm of valid opinion." (http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-updated-7611752)

Trade vaccines/autism for your "personal" definition of vegetarianism. They word it very nicely in that article. Your disregard for the definition of a word doesn't make it your opinion, it simply makes you incorrect.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to eat a vegetarian diet that is low or moderate in carbohydrates while getting enough protein.

Many of us, for medical reasons, must eat a lower-carb diet. I can be a fat vegetarian, or I can eat some lean animal protein--the choice is that simple.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am a pescetarian (no not pesky-tarian) I eat seafood and otherwise I am vego. I eat some dairy (not much, just tea and coffee) and not eggs (hate them). I love animals and food. And I put on weight from chocolate, wine, cheese, etc over several years after an accident and a bout of surgeries. But if you don't drink wine as much as I did for a while, or eat high fat foods like cheeses and loads of nuts and veggies you can slim down as a vegetarian. I was vegan years ago and it didn't suit me but have always been on and off as a vegetarian. I don't actually like anything that looks like the animal (chicken, fish with a face, legs of lamb etc as I have an unnaturally developed sense of empathy). I literally cry when my husband catches a fish and beg him to put it back. I hate the idea that a life was taken for me to eat. It I had no alternative I'd eat meat of course but with so many good alternatives available there's no excuse for me. Also it stops me eating fast food as there aren't many vegetarian options at KFC or MacDonalds.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Being a vegetarian myself I find your statement slightly offensive. A true vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat. The times I don't consider someone a true vegetarian is when they say they are EXCEPT they eat fish or EXCEPT they eat chicken. I would agree with your statement a little easier if you said a healthy vegetarian rather than a true vegetarian. I have been a true vegetarian almost four years but I have only recently become a healthy vegetarian.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have discovered something I did not think was possible. Overweight vegetarians. I thought this was a fluke until I started seeing friends and family who are overweight and vegetarian. How can this be?

Im right on the border between overweight and normal, and I am vegetarian. My vices are bread and junk food like potato chips. But does it really matter? I mean, overweight and obese people are everywhere and come from all walks of life.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since birth. It's so easy to eat carbs and a lot of it as a vegetarian cuz you don't have much protein to fill you up. I've had weight problems since I was a child.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Because meat doesn't cause obesity, and because many vegetarians don't eat healthy plant based diets.

I have a vegetarian friend who "hates all vegetables", and she hates water. She eats and drinks crap. She's overweight.

There's a potential big difference between being a vegetarian and eating a plant based diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians don't eat meat. You can eat 1000 calories of trail mix in five minutes

Yeah you can!
  • MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Surely this isn't a serious question?!