Lack of nutrition? unable to sleep properly

2»

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    The minimum net calorie intake recommended is 1200 calories. You are a male, so it should be higher.

Trying to loose a stone a month i think the recommended calories for males are 2500 cals but im sure thats to maintain your weight. MFP says i should consume 2383 cals a day to loose 2lbs a week which is safe weight to loose but i need a stone a month

Why do you NEED to lose a stone in a month?

I think because I know it is possible so why wait around when you can reach your goals sooner. When you've been overweight most of your life and it makes you unhappy why not aim for your happiness sooner. I can be impatient at times so hanging around for years to reach your goals is not something i want to do

You are going to spend years on your goals either way - in fact you're going to spend your entire life working on this goal in one form or another. Weight loss ends. Maintenance is forever, and it's actually harder. Reaching your goal weight isn't the end, it's a beginning. Particularly for those like us who have struggled with weight for most of our lives, the struggle may change but it never ends.

Yes, it's possible to lose more than 2 lb/week. It's also possible to drive 120 miles per hour the wrong way down a freeway, but it's not a good idea. The reason people say no more than 1% body weight per week for safe loss is for three main reasons:
    1. Better adherence to the diet. A moderate deficit you stick to is better than a high deficit you fail at.
    2. Better nutrition. What's the point of losing weight and ending up with a nutritional deficiency?
    3. Ratio of fat loss to muscle loss. This one is critical - every diet will cause you to lose both fat and muscle. The point of a moderate pace is to limit the rate of muscle loss. Fat stores a ton of calories but your body is actually only capable of tapping in to those stored calories at a fairly slow rate; about 31 calories per day per pound of body fat. So if you run a deficit to the point your fat stores can't keep up, your body will break down more muscle to make up the energy needs.

Really rapid weight loss tends to have a lot of lean mass loss. You could end up normal weight but overfat. You're far better off losing 1.5 lb/week of which 1.4 lb is fat, versus losing 3 lb/week of which 2 lb is fat. Regaining lost muscle is much longer and harder than keeping your muscle and losing the fat at a more moderate pace.
  • TheRunningman1985
    TheRunningman1985 Posts: 66 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's healthy. Losing weight too fast can lead to losing ALOT of muscle along with the fat. And many people do find that after an aggressively restrictive diet they subconsciously rebound afterward and in fact end up putting much of the weight back on. Hopefully you want to be healthy, not just skinnier.

When i lost the 8 stone i did loose a lot of muscle which wasn't to good and didn't look great , so my workouts are now mainly focused on 3 days HIIT and 3 days resistance then rest on the 7th day. Not looking for the skinny look as it doesn't look good with my big head lol. More focusing on getting ripped
  • TheRunningman1985
    quote="rankinsect;34958383"]
    The minimum net calorie intake recommended is 1200 calories. You are a male, so it should be higher.

Trying to loose a stone a month i think the recommended calories for males are 2500 cals but im sure thats to maintain your weight. MFP says i should consume 2383 cals a day to loose 2lbs a week which is safe weight to loose but i need a stone a month

Why do you NEED to lose a stone in a month?

I think because I know it is possible so why wait around when you can reach your goals sooner. When you've been overweight most of your life and it makes you unhappy why not aim for your happiness sooner. I can be impatient at times so hanging around for years to reach your goals is not something i want to do

You are going to spend years on your goals either way - in fact you're going to spend your entire life working on this goal in one form or another. Weight loss ends. Maintenance is forever, and it's actually harder. Reaching your goal weight isn't the end, it's a beginning. Particularly for those like us who have struggled with weight for most of our lives, the struggle may change but it never ends.

Yes, it's possible to lose more than 2 lb/week. It's also possible to drive 120 miles per hour the wrong way down a freeway, but it's not a good idea. The reason people say no more than 1% body weight per week for safe loss is for three main reasons:
    1. Better adherence to the diet. A moderate deficit you stick to is better than a high deficit you fail at.
    2. Better nutrition. What's the point of losing weight and ending up with a nutritional deficiency?
    3. Ratio of fat loss to muscle loss. This one is critical - every diet will cause you to lose both fat and muscle. The point of a moderate pace is to limit the rate of muscle loss. Fat stores a ton of calories but your body is actually only capable of tapping in to those stored calories at a fairly slow rate; about 31 calories per day per pound of body fat. So if you run a deficit to the point your fat stores can't keep up, your body will break down more muscle to make up the energy needs.

Really rapid weight loss tends to have a lot of lean mass loss. You could end up normal weight but overfat. You're far better off losing 1.5 lb/week of which 1.4 lb is fat, versus losing 3 lb/week of which 2 lb is fat. Regaining lost muscle is much longer and harder than keeping your muscle and losing the fat at a more moderate pace.[/quote]

Thank you i am taking it all on board. Well appreciated
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    8 days into dieting on MFP. Has anyone experienced the confusion of your body wanting food but no hunger pains? After a 1000 calorie workout and only consuming 2000 calories I felt empty, restless and felt i didnt have any energy when going to bed. But i struggled through and now looking forward to a nice breakfast

What time are you working out? Some people find that late in the day workouts interfere with sleep. :)
  • TheRunningman1985
    RodaRose wrote: »
    8 days into dieting on MFP. Has anyone experienced the confusion of your body wanting food but no hunger pains? After a 1000 calorie workout and only consuming 2000 calories I felt empty, restless and felt i didnt have any energy when going to bed. But i struggled through and now looking forward to a nice breakfast

What time are you working out? Some people find that late in the day workouts interfere with sleep. :)

Hi I work out 1st thing in the morning, 6am before breakfast
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    A low calorie oil? I didn't know that was possible. I thought all oils were 9 calories a gram.

What brand and type is it?
  • TheRunningman1985
    A low calorie oil? I didn't know that was possible. I thought all oils were 9 calories a gram.

What brand and type is it?

Your probably right
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Believe me Im listening but I also know what is possible. I was 21st 6.4lbs 8 days ago since starting MFP. Today im 21st 3lbs I must be doing something right?

Is "possible" also healthy and sustainable to achieve a good body - or merely one that has less weight on it?
    Less fat - less muscle - less water?
    That's the only goal?
    Just stop eating for awhile. And whatever reasons you think of for that being a bad idea - there are others that will still effect you with an unreasonable deficit.

Is it possible to mess around on your phone while driving?

And yeah, everyone loses big water weight the first week or two of starting a diet along with any fat.
    Depending on how much muscle you manage to lose - expect most of that water to come right back when you attempt to eat normal again.

Fat is not fast, gained or lost.

If you are convinced, just pay attention to your lifting down the road - specifically squats and deadlift where you are including your own weight as well as what's on the bar.

If you lose 15 stone on the body but don't increase 15 stone on the bar - then you lost strength, and likely because of lost muscle.
    People are always claiming they gained muscle while doing this crash diet because they lifted - except that little fact escapes their hungry brain.
    Increasing 10 stone on the bar and losing 15 on the body is not a net weight increase, it's a loss of strength.

So just pay attention to the numbers.

Oh - and your lifting will probably suffer from doing the HIIT while in a diet. Attempting to do all the things you've heard is better at fat loss at the same time doesn't mean it works better.
  • TheRunningman1985
    heybales wrote: »
    Believe me Im listening but I also know what is possible. I was 21st 6.4lbs 8 days ago since starting MFP. Today im 21st 3lbs I must be doing something right?

Is "possible" also healthy and sustainable to achieve a good body - or merely one that has less weight on it?
    Less fat - less muscle - less water?
    That's the only goal?
    Just stop eating for awhile. And whatever reasons you think of for that being a bad idea - there are others that will still effect you with an unreasonable deficit.

Is it possible to mess around on your phone while driving?

And yeah, everyone loses big water weight the first week or two of starting a diet along with any fat.
    Depending on how much muscle you manage to lose - expect most of that water to come right back when you attempt to eat normal again.

Fat is not fast, gained or lost.

If you are convinced, just pay attention to your lifting down the road - specifically squats and deadlift where you are including your own weight as well as what's on the bar.

If you lose 15 stone on the body but don't increase 15 stone on the bar - then you lost strength, and likely because of lost muscle.
    People are always claiming they gained muscle while doing this crash diet because they lifted - except that little fact escapes their hungry brain.
    Increasing 10 stone on the bar and losing 15 on the body is not a net weight increase, it's a loss of strength.

So just pay attention to the numbers.

Oh - and your lifting will probably suffer from doing the HIIT while in a diet. Attempting to do all the things you've heard is better at fat loss at the same time doesn't mean it works better.

Thanks observed
  • TheRunningman1985
    21st 2lbs this morning
  • TheRunningman1985
    Cant wait to post my before and after pics
  • GinnyRamsdale
    GinnyRamsdale Posts: 9 Member
    just make sure the foods you are eating are giving you the nutrients your body needs. I have found that veggie powders in a drink really help.
  • TheRunningman1985
    just make sure the foods you are eating are giving you the nutrients your body needs. I have found that veggie powders in a drink really help.

Thanks. Ive added a protein shake before bed, slept like a baby
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    I had been restricting heavily on my diet to like 800 or 900 calories a day and I am slowly upping my intake to around 1200 or 1400 and my sleep has been somewhat fixing itself. I did have many bouts of waking up several times needing to eat more for energy. It was like clockwork at 3am each night.
  • TheRunningman1985
    sarsather wrote: »
    I had been restricting heavily on my diet to like 800 or 900 calories a day and I am slowly upping my intake to around 1200 or 1400 and my sleep has been somewhat fixing itself. I did have many bouts of waking up several times needing to eat more for energy. It was like clockwork at 3am each night.

From your pic you look fine, you trying to lose more weight? Or maintain?
  • sandykaunisto
    sandykaunisto Posts: 18 Member
    So has anyone slept 7 hours straight?
  • TheRunningman1985
    Like a baby