Venison recipes needed

Options
allycat5723
allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
My hubby got his first deer, and now I need some yummy and healthy venison recipes! We are making a chili with it tomorrow, but that's about all I know to do with it. I know it can be used like ground beef, but mix it half and half. any other suggestions? Thank you!

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    With venison, keep it simple. It is very lean, so watch your cook times so it doesn't dry out. Most commercial processors will add some pork fat to ground venison to help with that. Do you have just ground meat or other cuts? If just ground, use it just like beef. It makes the best sloppy joe's you'll ever eat.
  • kbaus1010
    kbaus1010 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tacos are really great with ground venison - venison can be kind of gamey tasting, so the taco seasoning blends really well with it. Sliders are really great too - and if you get the right buns, they're not too calorie ridden. Mix a packet of Lipton onion soup mix with the ground venison and press it into a pan and bake it. When it's cooked through, take it out and slice it like brownies for the slider patties. So, so good!!
  • allycat5723
    Options
    Thank you! We received chops, a few roasts, 16 lb of burger, and a whole cheddar summer sausage. I'm so excited because I love venison and haven't had it since I was a teenager.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why are mixing it half and half with beef? I use venison in pretty much anything I'd put beef in. Stir fry, soups, stews, burgers, chili, pasta sauce, tacos, etc.

If it's not ground, marinating it helps tenderize it. Or just soak it in milk overnight, which I suppose is marinating.

Did he get a buck or doe? I've found bucks have a gamier taste than does and are often a little tougher.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Soak your chops in milk overnight before cooking and it will take the game taste out. I love to do them that way and grill them.....tastes better than beef if done right!
  • mschmidt72
    mschmidt72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make a pot roast with one of the roasts! I have had the most success cooking venison using the slow cooker. It cooks it perfectly. I just made a venison stew in the crockpot yesterday that was absolutely delicious. I got it off of myrecipes.com I think. Google it!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    If you have a pressure cooker this is also good for quick(er) and tender venison roasts.
  • amberpitts06
    amberpitts06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am making cubed venison in the crockpot with green beans, cut potatoes, corn, and whole grain rice, I'm cooking it in turkey broth because I like the flavor that it gives.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Does no one like the TASTE of venison? All of these recipes, at least to my mind, appear to mask the taste. Am I the only one who is sick of ground beef? Anything you feel like grinding can probably be made into pepperoni sticks, summer sausage, or jerky. It pains me to see people put delicious game into "spaghetti sauce" and other ways that just hide the flavor.

Take a steak from that back strap (loin?), give it a little rub of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder, pan fry that sucker at screamin' high heat for like 2-3 minutes per side and eat it nice and rare.
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I tried vension meatballs, really good. Here's the link http://www.food.com/recipe/deer-meat-balls-437793
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    We eat a ton of venison in our house. Pretty much anything you can use beef for, you can use venison for. As others have said, since it is so lean, be sure to oil your pan when cooking it, and cook until the pink just starts to brown to avoid over cooking. I think it tastes best rare to medium rare, but I know a lot of people are concerned about any diseases that are lurking around such as CWD and things like it. So be aware of anything in the animal population before ingesting rare game meat. I've found that a lot of your lamb recipes can be used interchangeably with venison, as they have similar flavor profiles for the seasonings.

Most recently we just had deer steak fajitas, cook with sliced onions, peppers and salsa just as you would beef.

JustinAnimal: I could not agree more!! I've eaten enough game meat before that beef began to taste "gamey". I love the taste, but I think a lot of people's experience seems to be an animal that wasn't processed right, stressed out, or a buck in the middle of rut. All things that can make the flavor a bit off. When done right it's delicious! :smiley:
  • allycat5723
    Options
    He got a doe, and the flavor is fantastic! We really enjoy the taste of venison, so I'm not necessarily trying to mask the taste :) We had chops last night and all we did was season them up and pan fry. Thank you all for the info and suggestions!
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    He got a doe, and the flavor is fantastic! We really enjoy the taste of venison, so I'm not necessarily trying to mask the taste :) We had chops last night and all we did was season them up and pan fry. Thank you all for the info and suggestions!

My hubby just got his first deer this year as well. Have you tried just using a simple marinade and then pan frying or grilling? There's tons of venison marinade recipes out there to help mix things up a bit. We just finished processing a bunch of jerky and venison snack sticks the other night as well.

I use the roast, cut up chunks and make venison stew. About 2 lbs of roast, any veggies you want and as much as you want, put it all in a crock pot and cover with water. Season as you like and cook on low for 8 hours. It's so yummy!

Stroganoff is also very good with venison. There's recipes for that everywhere.

Just be sure that you trim away as much of the visible fat as possible. Most people don't like the "gamey" taste of venison because they don't trim off the fat. In beef, fat is a good thing, but with venison it leaves a tallow taste.

Hope this helps!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Does no one like the TASTE of venison? All of these recipes, at least to my mind, appear to mask the taste. Am I the only one who is sick of ground beef? Anything you feel like grinding can probably be made into pepperoni sticks, summer sausage, or jerky. It pains me to see people put delicious game into "spaghetti sauce" and other ways that just hide the flavor.

Take a steak from that back strap (loin?), give it a little rub of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder, pan fry that sucker at screamin' high heat for like 2-3 minutes per side and eat it nice and rare.

?? I love venison. Why does making a pasta sauce mask the taste more than making it into sausage?? ::laugh::
  • AwesomeCowgirl
    AwesomeCowgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of deer tenderloin- I grill it plain on the grill. I also make sausages and brats mmmm delicious! But as for ground beef, it can get a bit dry and it seems to have a little more game flavor, especially buck wise. Not that its bad... it can just overpower your recipe. I tend to make everything with deer that I can beef. Its a huge $ saving staple in our house. Recipes that allow you to simmer the hamburger seem to be the best.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com/recipes/667/meat-and-poultry/game-meats/venison/

tasteofhome.com/venison-recipes

Here's some ideas! I just did a quick Google search and these popped up.
  • wildlifeartist55
    wildlifeartist55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My hubby got his first deer, and now I need some yummy and healthy venison recipes! We are making a chili with it tomorrow, but that's about all I know to do with it. I know it can be used like ground beef, but mix it half and half. any other suggestions? Thank you!

I use venison for vege stews too and vege soups...tacos too ...have also made good meatloafs...I use venison like u would beef... the steaks cut thick and grilled is very good!
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/

I've made this guy's meat pies. Really good recipe but I'd say cut back on the garlic, oregano, parsley and onion by 1/2.
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We use it in lasagna :) delicious and lower calorie than beef!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So they mix it with ground beef to mask the taste?
    Why not just make the hamburger out of all deer meat?