Single parent needing energy!

Options
To all the parents out there... I have a 9 month old baby girl and it seems all I'm y energy is going to her right now as she's learning how to be independent. What are the best ways to give you a kick of energy? I used to workout everyday and now I'm drained by the time I go to sleep and when I wake up. I need something to kick my *kitten* back into gear and coffee isn't doing the trick! If there are any other parents struggling with the same thing then add me and we can support each other!

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and having good success with Strong Lifts 5x5. I only have to go to the gym 3 times a week. Daily workouts are not practical for me or my kids but I try to stay active in general, like walks and hikes with kids on non-lifting days. I also rely heavily on coffee, lol.
  • FullLifeNeil
    FullLifeNeil Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honestly - try a good pre work out drink for a couple of days. Sometimes you just need a kick more than coffee
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Weather permitting, I'd just put my son in the stroller and go for a walk. Getting us both out of the house and in the fresh air and sunlight gave me energy and kept him entertained.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Honestly. It's hard. the only thing that worked w me when I was single parenting was to plan ahead when I was going to do my exercise, packed for it, and had the rule that I had to get dressed and do the first 5 minutes and I could quit any time after 5 minutes but not before. Of course, by then, I rarely wanted to quit. I need to find the same motivation and structure now w 2 kids. Argh Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • julieanntjstee
    julieanntjstee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a single parent as well, I used to have that issue with my son, the advice above is pretty good. To get back into your routine try doing short intervals of exercises maybe 10-20 minutes of cardio every few hours if you have time. For example; 20 mins of walking with your daughter, then an hour later another 20 mins of any exercise. Believe me it all adds up! Also try to workout during nap time!! That's used to be my go to period. Good luck!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use my toddler as my equipment to workout sometimes and he loves it. Ill hold him and do squats, We'll chase each other doing the bear crawl. Ill do push ups over him and kiss him on my way down. My kids loves it and it keeps me in check.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    cheffie12 wrote: »
    To all the parents out there... I have a 9 month old baby girl and it seems all I'm y energy is going to her right now as she's learning how to be independent. What are the best ways to give you a kick of energy? I used to workout everyday and now I'm drained by the time I go to sleep and when I wake up. I need something to kick my *kitten* back into gear and coffee isn't doing the trick! If there are any other parents struggling with the same thing then add me and we can support each other!

Are you sleeping both through the night? If not and you are still getting interrupted sleep, then feeling exhausted is normal. It is not for everyone, but my suggestion if this is the case, would be to cosleep. It was the difference between a complete nightmare and normal life for me.
    If you are getting normal sleep and still feel exhausted, then talk to your dr. It is very common to suffer from anemia or to develop hypothyroidism a little after giving birth, and both these conditions cause exhaustion.
  • cheffie12
    cheffie12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome advice! She's such an active baby and rarely takes naps. She has only slept through the night once haha she keeps me worn out!
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    cheffie12 wrote: »

Don't have the time to explain it right now, but my honest answer is..stretching and marching...

Stretching is going to align your nerves, muscles and skeleton structures, hence...allowing more oxygen to your whole body, a true, mindfully stretching, work your lumbar, knees, spine, neck, blades, pelvis and shoulders....it takes only 20 minutes a day as much. Yoga pilates is basically stretching.

Marching is just well...walking with a firm back, a proper breathing that makes you sweat a bit for reaching the effort you're putting in moving without lagging or slowing down (you know like when you're going to the grocery store walking and you suddenly feel sluggish), those simple actions are going to give you energy, you can even do the marching with your child either in a stroller or in your arms. Take care.