I'm on a diet and my boyfriend is not!!!

Options
So my boyfriend is a little skinny Minnie. Eats whatever he wants whenever he wants and is a stick!! So it's so hard to not eat the stuff he eats and to stick with my diet!! I have all my meals planned. But he'll come home with pizza. While I eat my veggies. How do i not just eat the pizza too?!?! Does anyone else have their significant other not on a diet? Tempting them? What do you do to resist?

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Eat what he eats, only less?

No reason you can't have pizza, just not as much as you used to.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should probably have a slice of pizza and a nice big salad to go with it so you don't eat like six slices of pizza. Because that's what happens when pizza is around.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yep! 1 slice of XL is plenty, and you can supplement with your veggies. even 1.5 is easy to fit into a day.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Ask him what days he plans on bringing home dinner and plan around it?

I eat the same food I did when I was fat, just less of them and more vegetables. Are you always going to avoid pizza? Burgers? No? Then why do it now?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat what everyone else in my house eats, just less of it.

it's not hard. lol
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I cook for four other people in my house, and none of them are on my diet. It's hard to not eat the mashed potatoes with butter that I make for them, but it all comes down to liking how I FEEL about myself when I'm successful at this more than I like the taste of their tater tots. And I try to make healthy food for me that I really, truly enjoy. Also, if it fits in your calories to enjoy a small slice of pizza, then have the pizza. Ultimately this journey is about balance. Being able to enjoy the foods you love as part of a more healthy lifestyle.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

This as hell.

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My husband eats about 3000 calories a day to maintain his weight, whereas I'm more like half that. We make it work by eating different portions, and with calorie-dense stuff I often just take a couple hundred calories worth and have a large portion of vegetables with it. It's not a big issue for us, honestly, as we know we have very different nutritional needs.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have three sons (two are very lean, active teens) and a husband who have massively larger caloric needs than me. When we have pizza, I eat pizza. Just less (one or two slices). I fill the rest of my plate with veggies and salad.

I learned right quick that if I denied myself any of what they were eating, I'd get resentful and hateful. So, no denying myself yummy stuff. Pizza, tacos, burgers, etc. can be fit into any daily intake. Just choose a portion that fits.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My hubs isn't as strict as I am so I feel you. Try guzzling your water and eating your veggies as filler first. It helps me.
  • gracepostie
    gracepostie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

Oh yeah SURE. Hahaha
  • gracepostie
    gracepostie Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I eat the same food I did when I was fat, just less of them and more vegetables. Are you always going to avoid pizza? Burgers? No? Then why do it now?

Good point!!! I just feel like just starting out on a diet I want to be strict. So I can get the healthy habits down. Then maybe in a month or so. I can have the slice of pizza. Or whatever it is
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. My boyfriend is 6'4" and can eat a large pizza by himself and not gain an ounce. All he has to do is say "hm, I should lose some weight" and it seemingly instantly comes off in a few days.
    The only semi-solution I've found so far is to INSIST on doing all of the grocery shopping and all of the cooking--for both of you. That's what we do.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Ha, everyone said the same thing at the same time lol! Get it yet, OP? Tens of 1000s of long term successful people here. :)

Seriously though, moderation works. Strict is not necessary (can even be detrimental) for success.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Good point!!! I just feel like just starting out on a diet I want to be strict. So I can get the healthy habits down. Then maybe in a month or so. I can have the slice of pizza. Or whatever it is

There's nothing unhealthy about a slice of pizza. Unless it's deep dish or covered in meat, it's usually 250-350 calories a slice and the macro breakdown usually pretty balanced. Being able to eat normal foods within your calorie goal is actually a skill, learning it now will benefit you greatly in the future.

Being too strict with yourself will only lead to you getting frustrated and quitting.

Stop thinking in terms of diet. You are adopting a new lifestyle.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 100 lbs when my wife was not on a diet. I plan my meals around dinner, if dinner is pizza, then I sacrifice at lunch. I usually ate a really lite lunch (no more than 500 calories, sometimes as low as 290). A 6" ham sub at Subway is 290 calories That allowed me to eat a mostly normal dinner (slightly smaller portions, but not much). Certain things I cut out almost entirely (french fries, pepsi), others I cut way down on (milk, bread). If I had a few calories left at the end of the day I'd have fruit for dessert instead of ice cream. You can eat a ton of fruit foe very little calories.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

The biggest healthy habit you can get down is to learn to eat anything, just in moderation, as long as it fits your caloric goals, and hopefully macros.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You got plenty good advice here on what to do with regards on what to eat when he brings home pizza. I want to add some regarding how you perceived others eating habits.
    Eats whatever he wants whenever he wants and is a stick!!

He may eat whatever he want and is a stick but realize the amount he eats is maintaining his weight. If you were to track all that he ate in a day and his activity you will probably find he is eating a lot less than you think or is a lot more active than you realize.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This isn't a temp dieting issue it's a lifelong reality. You and your bf have different Stats and tdee requirements. A 6' guy needs to eat more over a 5'2 gal. It would be good now to eat what you want but to eat less than you used to. Because you and your bf probably will never eat at the same lvl without one of you bulking up or the other losing more weight.