Breast Reduction

Auzziedoggie
Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
edited October 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I am considering getting one, and have been since I was 16. I want to lose 50 lbs (anymore I look underweight). I am wondering how much your *ahem* girls went down after weight loss? I'm hoping to lose about 6 cup sizes. I am 43 inches around and would like to be 36 inches around.

Replies

• CJene
    CJene Posts: 2 Member
    I had a breast reduction - was J cup - but in the years after, gained weight. I don't remember how it went then but recently (10yrs after BR) I went from a 36D/DD to a 32DD/DDD after a 50lbs loss. I think my overall chest measurement went from 45" to 36".

My BR was one of the best things I've done. It completely changed my life and how I felt.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Thanks for your reply! Anyone else have any insights?
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    I haven't lost any cup size so far, just all in the band size. I don't really care either way if I loose some boob (I do like them the way they are, but shopping for shirts would sure be easier with smaller ones!). I'm currently a 42 DDD in Canada (which I'm sure is the same as American sizes...)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    I just had mine done November 7th of last year. Couldn't be happier. The only thing that was required by my doctor was to get to the weight I wanted to be at. I was a 38DD and sadly they didn't really go down much. I'm now a 36C and couldn't be any happier. I did wait until I reached my goal weight. He also told me that when he went in, there wasn't a lot of fat in my breast. Which wad due to the fact that I was busting my behind at the gym with heavy weights. :laugh:

Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

Sheila :flowerforyou:
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    previously when i lost 80lb I went from DDD to D
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I would definitely wait until after you've lost a majority of your weight if at all possible, it would royally suck to go under the knife only to be flat chested after the fact.

I usually gain breast tissue when I start working out, I'm a 50H/I right now and they are super heavy but I refuse to have surgery until after I lose some weight, hoping they'll deflate. hahaha
  • Definitely get to the weight you want to be at first because in most cases your breast will deflate a lot and you will have looser skin. When I lost weight in 2005ish I went from a 42 D or DD to a 36 C and it was huge difference.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    I had mine done 2 years ago and do NOT reject it for one minute.

I was wearing a 40DDD then lost 50 pounds and was then wearing a 36G in the boutiques, but a 38DD in a regular bra.
    After my surgery I am now wearing a 34/36C. When did they my surgery they only had to remove 1.5 pounds total as all was left of my breasts was tissue - little to no fat.

I say go for it!! I couldn't be happier. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Claudette
  • My bust/band ratio has shfited as I've lost weight. Before I started my weight loss kick I was in a 42 D. Then as I lost the weight, I went to a 42C, then a 40 D, and now I'm in a 38 DD, still not yet at my Goal weight, so it'll likely shift again.

I would definitely say geting moving and grooving on your weight loss plan before your final assesment to have B.R. surgery, because you might like where they wind up (plus with strength training even tho they might still be big, they may look a LOT different). Plus, I think that surgery should be a last resort option in any case.

Good luck to you :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i had one when i was 19. at the time i was 30KK. i went down to a DD cup but when I gained weight they came back.

Now that I'm losing weight again, I'm not losing cup size but i'm losing in the band which means technically my cup size is increasing.

anyway my point is, wait until you have lost all the weight you want to see what happens. it's possible that you will lose a lot of the girls, but i think generally if you have the tendency to be full busted (small band size/ large cup size) rather than full chested (large band and med ot large cup) then you won't lose much in your cup size.

when i had my reduction i was 18-20% body fat so i'm fairly certain i wont lose much cup wise although it would be nice if i could lose down to a DDD by the time i'm done
  • teeright
    teeright Posts: 1 Member
    I think I went from about 44" to 36" with weight and exercise, and my breasts were still DD, but they were mostly extra skin, and hung way down. My doctor said I almost didn't have enough tissue left in them to qualify for a breast reduction (in Canada, our medical plan will pay for a breast reduction if there is about a 1 lb of butter amount in each breast to remove), so most of what I had was a skin removal, and it was the best thing I ever did. Even now that I've gained a significant amount of my weight back, my breasts are still a C, and look great. I don't really gain much in them anymore.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    I always hear that the chest area is the first to go in weight loss..... but I'm kinda giving up on that myth lol. Maybe it's cause I'm not overly overweight, just borderline (I was 165 when I started, now am 148 with 32 F). So with 17 lbs lost I am 1/2 way to my ideal weight but have MAYBE gone down 2 inches in the bust. I was hopeing they would go down more, but they won't shrink dame it!!!! :sad:
  • OliveRiver
    OliveRiver Posts: 81 Member
    I've always been a 34/36, but my cup size has changed a lot.
    I used to be a D in high school, but got pregnant and my daughter directly after graduating, so that took me up to an E. I lost all that after having her and breastfeeding for 3 months, so now I'm a 34C, which I couldn't be happier about since it's actually smaller than I was beforehand. However, I was totally set on getting a reduction if they didn't go down!
    But I would like to have some excess skin removed. It kind of sucks having granny tits at 20, haha.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    I'm down 50 lbs and have lost 2 band sizes and about a half a cup size. I've heard that cup size is more likely to go down when you make it to the toning stage. I still have 40-50 lbs of weight loss to go. I've always wanted to get a reduction. I'm thinking after I make my goal weight and have gotten muscle tone I'll be able to reassess. It really sucks for working out though. They literally get in the way whenu do yoga :-( I understand where you're coming from.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Hi this is an update from the OP. So I finally got that BR and I'm 6 weeks post op. I hadn't lost weight prior to getting it which is strongly recommended but I feel (and look!) a lot better. They removed 3.5 lbs off my chest! I am just about to start a running routine because I've been given the okay to resume regular activity. I had almost zero pain and stopped narcotics 2 days post op. NO REGRETS. Should have done it sooner. Now I'm praying that with my intended weight loss I won't need a second surgery. But my surgeon said that even if these new boobs become deflated they will still look way better than what I had before.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    ive lost 70 pounds in the past year (30 more to go) and went from a 44DD to a 38C currently.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    68 lbs down here, 22 to go (maybe 27). I've gone from a 38 J to a 36 H. I believe at goal I will wear a 36 F / DDD

@callsitlikeiseeit we're almost weight loss twins.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    @Auzziedoggie Congrats on your successful surgery. I totally wish I could afford one right now. I'm very happy for you! Running will be much easier now.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    I'm confused? How big are you cup wise if you don't mind me asking? Cuz I have a 42" bust and an only a C.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Boobs are very heavy! My bf and I did an experiment where I hopped in the scales and he held my boobs (taking the weight off) and I went down 5kg!!!!!
  • lride74
    lride74 Posts: 1 Member
    I can actually answer this. I had to have a double mastectomy several years ago due to very aggressive breast cancer and was at the time a 36Dd. The pathological report actually had the weight of each breast, which was 6 lbs. I am sure there is some formula (algebraic) that could be put together with that information.
    For the record, I am 3 years in remission and had a "rebuild" of the "girls"
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I shrunk when I had some massive weight loss; I lost less than 30lbs, and I went down at least 2 cup sizes. I've gained about 10 pounds back (after 6 months of maintenance), and I've stayed the same size as when I was a lower weight. Depending on where your body decides to lose the fat from, you may see similar quick results. Ultimately though, the fat is going to leave where it wants to.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Congrats OP on your surgery. I had a reduction this summer, but I waited until I had already lost 70 lbs. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. To the others discussing breast weight, it varies considerably. Some women have much denser breasts than others. I went from an H cup to about a D and they told me the combined weight removed was under 2.5 lbs. My surgeon also told me that my breasts were not very dense, which is a good thing. Dense breast tissue increases your risk of breast cancer.

I know that most of this post is old, but to anyone else following along and relating this to weight loss, I will add that I am glad I waited until I got closer to goal weight. Even though I was feeling good about my weight loss, you can't help but notice the change in proportionality. My fluffy stomach definitely appeared a bit larger and more prominent after my breasts shrunk.
  • Auzziedoggie
    I'm confused? How big are you cup wise if you don't mind me asking? Cuz I have a 42" bust and an only a C.

Not sure if you were asking me, but I started as a 34H/HH. I now wear a 34DD (some call this an E). A 42C has the same cup size as a 34F. Since department stores do not adequately stock larger cup sizes (particularly in North America), many women compensate for this by going up in the band size. A larger band size = larger cup. A 34C and a 42C have different cup sizes. The problem is that the band size is often too big and will result in the bra riding up the back.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Congrats OP on your surgery. I had a reduction this summer, but I waited until I had already lost 70 lbs. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. To the others discussing breast weight, it varies considerably. Some women have much denser breasts than others. I went from an H cup to about a D and they told me the combined weight removed was under 2.5 lbs. My surgeon also told me that my breasts were not very dense, which is a good thing. Dense breast tissue increases your risk of breast cancer.

I know that most of this post is old, but to anyone else following along and relating this to weight loss, I will add that I am glad I waited until I got closer to goal weight. Even though I was feeling good about my weight loss, you can't help but notice the change in proportionality. My fluffy stomach definitely appeared a bit larger and more prominent after my breasts shrunk.

Congrats to you as well and for waiting until you lost a tonne of weight.

It is true that your stomach looks a lot worse after a breast reduction. My clothes used to hang well, hiding my midrift. Now I have to be very cognizant of how my stomach appears in clothes which I did not really have to do before (since I never wore skin tight clothing or bathing suits). While I am thrilled with the BR, I definitely traded one problem for another by not losing weight first. I'm now just as self-conscious about my stomach as I was my large breasts. That said, it is still a lot easier to work out and find new clothes.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    after i lost weight i went from a D to a B; i had a lift because of the extra skin...best thing ever. wait until you loose the weight to have surgery for the best results
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member

Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Boobs are very heavy! My bf and I did an experiment where I hopped in the scales and he held my boobs (taking the weight off) and I went down 5kg!!!!!

:lol: I'm not sure that's entirely scientific. Was it the bf's idea by any chance?? :smirk:
This discussion has been closed.