Easy bread recipes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been on a baking kick lately. Does anyone have any easy bread recipe to share? Can be any kind (sweet bread too, although I already have a good brioche recipe). Just tired of spending money buying bread when I can make some better one at home (there's some proofing right now but it's my first attempt so I'm not making any promises).

I don't have a bread machine but I have a KitchenAid.

Replies

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    3 cups self rising flour, 12 oz beer, 1/3 cup sugar. Mix together and bake at 350 for 55 minutes, brush with melted butter near the end. Beer Bread!! Not great for sandwiches but perfect alongside soup or topped with a fried egg for breakfast. You can add cheese or herbs too to make different flavors. Cheddar and dill are a great combo!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is the recipe I use for toast/sandwiches. I don't split the dough, though. I just use a two quart Pyrex casserole/bowl to bake it in.

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/
  • Francl27
    Options
    Thanks! Tried one last night and it ended up flat. Don't really want something that needs hours to rise though. Guess I need to buy some baking dishes....
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use for toast/sandwiches. I don't split the dough, though. I just use a two quart Pyrex casserole/bowl to bake it in.

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

Yes! That bread is fantastic, as is her oatmeal toasting bread; it's my son's favorite.

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/07/07/no-knead-oatmeal-toasting-bread/
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ill have to look these recipes up later
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have been wanting to make more of my own bread. Cheaper and healthier! Shocking how long a store bought loaf lasts compared to homemade
  • Francl27
    Options
    I've been buying fresh loaves in stores and it's pretty good, but I just figured I could make my own if it just takes a few minutes (plus it will be cheaper than $4 a loaf, although not by much I guess).

I'll probably try this one again, I think I used active dry yeast instead of instant so it might be why it didn't rise (during the second rise) but it was still good (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/tuscan-style-bread-with-herbs-recipe). It takes no time to make though, which is what I like about it!

Then I'll try the recipe above but it means I need to buy a baking dish.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Thanks! Tried one last night and it ended up flat. Don't really want something that needs hours to rise though. Guess I need to buy some baking dishes....

I bake bread and it doesn't need to rise for hours. Usually an hour is enough. Do you have a stand mixer? it makes bread easier because it kneads for you. And bread doesn't take a few minutes. It takes an hour to rise, about ten minutes to knead and then of course it has to be baked and then cooled.

Are you using yeast and warm water? that is what makes bread rise.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love the bread recipes on Annie's Eats and Budget Bytes. Most of the bread recipes that I have used take a while to rise, so I just make them on days that we're around the house. All of these store well in the freezer, which really helps on hectic weeks.

Our favorites from Annie's Eats are:
    Pizza Crust
    Flour Tortillas
    Burger Buns
    Soft Pretzels
    Whole Wheat Pita
    Herbed Focaccia

Our favorites from Budget Bytes are:
    Naan
    English Muffins
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I bake bread and it doesn't need to rise for hours. Usually an hour is enough. Do you have a stand mixer? it makes bread easier because it kneads for you. And bread doesn't take a few minutes. It takes an hour to rise, about ten minutes to knead and then of course it has to be baked and then cooled.

Are you using yeast and warm water? that is what makes bread rise.

Yeah but I used active dry yeast, maybe that's why? Or maybe it's because I didn't do the 'deflate the dough' part after the first rise (it rose just fine in the covered bowl, just didn't rise on the baking sheet). I'm new at this, lol.

Basically my Tuscan bread turned into focaccia. It's still good though but we can't exactly make sandwiches with it. I'll try again...
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but try again. It's all about trial and error :D
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I make this a lot because it contains no sugar and tastes awesome! You can make it healthier by using half whole wheat flour and half white. I also rise and cook it in a loaf pan so that I have sandwich bread.

I believe that there are whole wheat recipes for this bread, but you have to add gluten. There are also faster recipes. Both are available via Google.