Breakfast?

Options
Do you eat breakfast? I find it so difficult to make myself eat in the mornings. Will not eating breakfast make it more difficult for me to lose weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No. It's the number of calories you consume in a day, not when you consume them.

We have lots of successful people here who don't eat breakfast (or only eat a light breakfast).
  • JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 'breakfast' either when I wake up. I typically wait a couple hours into the day then have plain greek yogurt with some added honey and fruit and a piece of toast with peanut butter. Seems to work for me. I also tend to have a similar snack in the evening however as going long periods without for isn't great.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have been having a cup or so of tomato soup in the mornings. Just to tide me over until lunch. But, no, you don't need to eat breakfast. If I don't have soup or broth available, then I usually skip it entirely.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry in the mornings either, but I do eat a high protein granola bar because experience has taught me that I will be very hungry by lunch if I don't and then I might overeat (or even before lunch at 10:30 or so). I can tell myself I'll just bring a high protein snack to eat at 10:30 but sometimes I don't have time to eat at work so that has not always worked. I have also found I am slightly more hungry if I don't eat after 6:30 or so in the evenings. Also eating breakfast has made it easier to resist snacks or donuts that coworkers bring in from time to time.
  • mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    6 ounces of 2% milk....
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to never have anything, but I blacked out a few times on my way to work, so now my doctor has asked that I eat a protein shake every morning before I leave the house. It's gross - lol. For me, this makes it harder to keep to my calorie goal as I love eating that that gross shake is taking up 200 calories that could be spent elsewhere :(
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I could easily skip breakfast but it makes me somewhat ravenous during the day. Dinner has long since been my "meal of the day". However I have found that by eating a lighter dinner (makes me hungry in the morning) and a heavy calorie/protein dense breakfast my hunger is practically nonexistent all day until the late afternoon. Every*body is different. Also- you dont HAVE to eat "breakfast" for breakfast.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    It's only going to hinder you if you end up super hungry later in the morning because you skipped breakfast and consequently overdo it when you do eat.

As long as your total calories for the day are where they should be, it doesn't matter when you eat them. Just find a routine that leaves you with sufficient energy and without significant hunger at your deficit, whether that's several small meals, two large ones, some kind of intermittent fasting, no breakfast, whatever.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a breakfast person either. The most I'll have on any given M-F is a yogurt, half size protein shake, or fruit first thing when I get into the office. If I skip breakfast I am not any hungrier when lunchtime rolls around. My mom is the same way - I suppose some people just aren't breakfast people. I prefer to save my calories for my evening meal, when I tend to eat heavier and have less control of the calories (my partner does the cooking and does not count calories like I do).
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Does a can of Java monster count? If yes then that's breakfast if not then nope solid foods can wait until noon unless there is a 9am egg mc muffin craving.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you eat breakfast? I find it so difficult to make myself eat in the mornings. Will not eating breakfast make it more difficult for me to lose weight?

No. Timing of when you eat your calories is a preference.
    I eat a smaller breakfast- about 200 calories- and eat the majority of my calories after noon.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not based on any fact but my thought is to eat something light like a piece of fruit or a handful of tree nuts. This is purely to provide some nourishment and to get your metabolism going. Yes I know it is about calories in/out but I "feel" like small nutritious snacks tell your body to keep burning because more is coming soon. It couldn't hurt to do some form of exercise in the morning to get some calories burning. Sit ups, planks or even a stretching routine for 10 or 15 minutes does wonders. For me I kind of go heavy with 4 -6 miles of running, 15 minutes of planks (including rest between) followed by breakfast. Oatmeal, almond milk, fresh strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, chia seeds, half banana. It clocks in at about 800 calories so I guess I am a morning person.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No, don't want it then don't eat it. It's a type of intermittent fasting. Also saw stuff about starting you metabolism. Your body isn't a car that can turn off. If your metabolism is off or not running properly you're sick or dead.
  • sisu89
    sisu89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have a 'real' breakfast. I have a mocha in the late morning just to tide me over til lunch. If I have that mocha too early in the morning, I end up really hungry at 10-ish. I occasionally do this and have a second mocha then (it's not a real mocha, just coco in my coffee - 70 calories each).

Having an actual breakfast usually makes it too easy to go over my limit... And when 1200 is your limit, those 200 calories for a 'light' breakfast are just too precious!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Most mornings I have oatmeal w/ protein powder and a banana in it. Some mornings I'll just do protein powder, almond milk and fruit of some sort in a smoothie. Most of my daily activity happens before noon, without breakfast I find it difficult to function properly.