Make use of my gym membership

Options
I have a gym membership and want to make good use of it. I plan on starting out with 3 days a week. But am looking for a routine. I asked at the gym but all they suggested was to hire a personal trainer.
I just spoiled myself with the membership, can't get a PT for a few months. Don't know what to do in the meantime.
Help and suggestions would be awesome please.
Feel free to add me.
Love the motivation

Replies

• megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    you could start doing couch to 5k on the treadmills. or stronglifts 5x5 (i don't do this, but my husband does and he loves it). i sometimes pull workouts from this list too (when i don't feel like running): http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Of course they did. The personal trainers probably pay a fee back to the gym, so the more personal trainers they have with the more clients the more they earn.

If you are only going to do 3 days/week I would pick one of the ideas below.

* Hop on any piece of cardio equipment and just use that. Work on increasing distance/time or resistance (C25k for running would work).
    * Pick a class (or two, or class + cardio) and participate in it 3x/week
    * Pick a free weight routine, like StrongLifts 5x5, Fierce 5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, etc...

Or, if they offer other things (pool?), then maybe do that instead.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Check out StrongLifts 5x5 for strength training. Are classes included? If so, take a spin class or try yoga -- do some running either on the track or a treadmill (C25K would be an idea) -- Personal trainers are a good idea but there is a lot you can do yourself, and if you find you need help later, hire the trainer for a few sessions.
  • nsemrau
    nsemrau Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? I think that's the most important place to start.
  • AnitaDrink2day
    AnitaDrink2day Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. No classes are included, just the gym pass and pool pass. Yes, I will be swimming on the other days of the week. My goals are a healthier and smaller me. For now I just need to utilize the gym and will later try to set a PT to help.
  • AnitaDrink2day
    Options

* Pick a free weight routine, like StrongLifts 5x5, Fierce 5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, etc...

^are these an app? Or group offered on MFP?
    Thank you for your help
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, then eating at a deficit should be the first priority, which is what MFP is very useful for.

There is a StrongLifts 5x5 app and website with lots of information on the program and lifts - http://stronglifts.com/
    Fierce 5 is posted on a forum - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631
    Starting Strength and New Rules of Liftin (or any of the other versions) are books. You may be able to find the routines online outside of the books.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got "New Rules of Lifting" from my library.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and want to make good use of it. I plan on starting out with 3 days a week. But am looking for a routine. I asked at the gym but all they suggested was to hire a personal trainer.
    I just spoiled myself with the membership, can't get a PT for a few months. Don't know what to do in the meantime.
    Help and suggestions would be awesome please.
    Feel free to add me.
    Love the motivation

Didn't your membership include a free orientation with a trainer? Every gym I've ever joined offered this.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What facilities do they have?
    What classes do they run?
    What are your goals? Weight? Fitness?
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn to run (couch to 5K or something similar), there's an app called SkyFit. It's like having a personal trainer but for a very small price. They have workouts for running outdoors, on the treadmill, and cycling. It's pretty cool and very helpful if you don't know where to start.
  • AnitaDrink2day
    Options
    Thank you everyone ;)