Protein shake recommendations?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am partial to Body Fortress Advanced Whey. $18 per 2 lb at Walmart and 30 g of protein per scoop
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    walmart - Six star "whey protein plus" five pound jug is $39.00 and it has 150 servings of 30 grams protein per serving.

Shakeology has more stuff in it than just protein and the couple I have tried were delicious but expensive..

I use the six star too. Decadent chocolate with 1% milk and a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter. 299 calories, 16g carbs, 2g fiber, 40g protein. Sometimes I'll add 1/2 a banana or some fresh berries.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been using Gold Standard Vanilla, light tasting mixes easy. Usually one a day depending on what I've already eaten and what I need to consume to reach macro intake.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Spirutein Unsweetened Vanilla protein powder, hands down. No crap in it whatsoever.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    jennymac74 wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced protein powder that is low carb and promotes weight loss. I was considering Shakeology, but $130/month is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just to clear up an apparent and common misconception in your opening post...

Protein shakes in and of themselves do NOT "promote weight loss"

Protein shakes are to supplement your protein intake if you're lacking in that macro. Period.

As for recommendations - this gets asked quite frequently on here, and my biggest takeaway from those threads is that there really isn't a standard recommendation. It's really a matter of personal preference. For every brand/type listed, someone inevitably will come along and say they "hate" that brand, and then list his/her favorite brand, which is then subsequently hated by the next person, etc.

Perfectly said.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I make my own protein powders from scratch ingredients. It's WAY cheaper, and you can control your ratios of things like carb/protein/fat to meet your macro goals for that day. You also don't have to commit to an entire month+ of the same base flavor, you can make it what you want. There are all sorts of recipes online, and prices for the individual ingredients are usually pretty reasonable on Amazon or at health food stores.

Between trying to keep them lower-carb for health reasons, and the fact I can't have artificial sweeteners due to some allergy issues, buying pre-made ones is tough. I've adapted to not wanting them to taste like milkshakes/sweet, but you could always add your own preferred sweeteners (i.e. honey, fruit, sugar, agave, stevia, etc).

My current blend for an individual Meal Replacement shake (my cost per shake is around $1, because I price watch the ingredients. For an after-workout protein or something you may want to scale down ingredients):
    • 3 T. Hemp Protein Powder (Nutiva brand-90 cal, 9gCarb, 8gFiber, 1gSugar, 15gProtein, 3gFat)
    • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Green Superfood (AmazingGrass- 30 cal, 4gCarb, 2gFiber, 0sugar, 2gProtein, 1gFat)
    • 2 T. Raw Cacao Powder (Truvibe brand- 48cal, 6gCarb, 3gFiber, 0gSugar, 2gProtein, 1gFat)
    • 1 T. traditional cocoa powder (Trader Joe's- 20cal, 2gCarb, 1gFiber, 0gSugar, 1gProtein, 1gFat)
    • Blended with 2 cups Flax Milk (Good Karma brand unsweetened- 50 cal, 2gCarb, 1gFiber, 0gSugar, 1gProtein, 1gFat)

Total nutrition for a shake: 238 calories, 23 g Carb Total, 15 g Fiber (net carbs= 8g), 1g Sugar, 20g Protein, & 11 g Fat [plant based]. Contains lots of filling fiber, "SuperFoods" (i.e. the Shakeology claim), and probiotics.

I also sometimes substitute Whey Protein Isolate for the Hemp Protein powder... but getting half of your daily minimum of fiber in one drink is pretty convenient, and my stomach likes the hemp better. You could also use traditional milk (skim, whole, etc), or other milk substitutes depending your dietary needs/goals.

I drink the above shake for breakfast, and it really sustains me & gives me a lot of energy. I keep a pre-mixed powder batch in my work fridge, to shake & drink on the days when I have really abbreviated lunch breaks.

Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • WheyProtienWey
    WheyProtienWey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay guys don't hate me here but I'm gonna bro it and say that optimum gold standard actually has some pretty good protein, the quality and taste, and obviously the macros are all competition worthy that'll give any other protein brand out there a run for its money, though it is a little higher in the price range aspect. Dymatize nutrition is worth mentioning and also has some of the best protein I've ever tasted, and was for a long time my "go to" protein, even better priced than Optimum. But I got 10lbs of gold standard for Christmas this year and I loved the stuff. Honestly I won't be going back to gold standard after I finish off this huge bag. I feel like a get more bang for my buck with Dymatize. And if the price of protein is what is holding you off, go check out myprotein.com, they'll beat any price. Use LAVADO at check out for 20% off. Dude you can get 11 lbs of protein for like 60-70 bucks.
  • Fithealthystrongafter50
    Options
    I have had this same question, and it's easy to see why there isn't one best choice. First step is to determine protein needs, and then to determine when it will be consumed. I am looking for a protein shake that is a powder (transportable) that would be good for a post-workout recovery drink to have within 30 minutes of a strength/cardio workout. I don't eat a lot of meat, but have been averaging 76 g/day and I weigh 141. It seems based on protein requirements for active adults I would need 70 g/day. My MFP goal is 65 g/day, so I'm not in deficit. I use almond milk and would prefer a dairy free blend. Suggestions that taste good and meet those needs? Thanks!
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Try lean1 from smoothie king or order online.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nothing bro about Optimum Nutrition. Some of the best tasting whey proteins in my opinion, and casein for that matter. That would be my recommendation, but as stated, it is mostly preference. The best thing you can do is get the most grams of protein per gram. So the smaller the serving with highest amount of protein will have the least amount of fillers. Some brands have more fillers (carbs usually).

And when it comes to bulking or losing weight, protein is protein so no need to look for different marketing tactics.
  • ProfDawnLee
    ProfDawnLee Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like Vega One. The vegan berry is really yummy. I occasionally eat it as a meal replacement for breakfast after my early am workout and while I am getting ready for work and my kids out the door. Some mornings I just do not have time to sit and eat. It is also less expensive than Shakeology per serving but similar in ingredients. You can get it on Amazon.
  • ejrider
    ejrider Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like ISOPURE and buy it off of Amazon. It is a Whey protein and A lot of the flavors have Zero carbs and and a few have 2 carbs. It also offers 50 grams of protein per serving. It is around $45 for a 3lb thing of it...which I didn't think was too bad. It mixes well...a lot better then the Body Fortress protein I was buying from Walmart.
  • shondraturner1
    shondraturner1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have several food allergies so I go with plant-based protein Orgain. I love the flavor Creamy Chocolate Fudge. I add unsweetened almond milk and a banana. It's great for a snack or for post work outs. You can get it at Costco for less than $30.00 and if you keep an eye out sometimes they have a coupon for $5 off. Something else to think about making smoothies with a variety of greens will also provide a lot of protein. Just a thought.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Trutein. You can order samples from bodynutrition.com before you commit to a 2# tub. Vanilla Bean is my favorite, but I've had Cinnabun, Chocolate PB Cup, Pumpkin Pie, Red Velvet Cake, and Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookie (I didn't like that one).

Another Trutein fan here. Chocolate Truffle is my favorite, but the Cinnabun is excellent as well. I do like being able to order samples before shelling out the money for a 2.5 lb. tub of protein that I don't like the flavor of.

I also like Dymatize Elite Gourmet (whey/casein mix). Their chocolate and Cappucino Rush flavors are both very good, and the casein makes the shakes thicker than straight whey (Trutein is also a mix of whey, casein and egg).

You can never go wrong with Optimum Nutrition either. Excellent quality and their flavors are good also.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Ump is by far my favorite. It does not promote weight loss etc etc. It's simply a protein supplement.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Oh and I love to add 2 tbsp of pb2. Yum
  • AngelJenny74
    AngelJenny74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • dmaert
    dmaert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had this same question, and it's easy to see why there isn't one best choice. First step is to determine protein needs, and then to determine when it will be consumed. I am looking for a protein shake that is a powder (transportable) that would be good for a post-workout recovery drink to have within 30 minutes of a strength/cardio workout. I don't eat a lot of meat, but have been averaging 76 g/day and I weigh 141. It seems based on protein requirements for active adults I would need 70 g/day. My MFP goal is 65 g/day, so I'm not in deficit. I use almond milk and would prefer a dairy free blend. Suggestions that taste good and meet those needs? Thanks!

• justjax430
    justjax430 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really like Garden of Life brand!!
  • Brownsugarbair
    Brownsugarbair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like syntax matrix 5.0 chocolate. They have a lot of flavors. 120 calories 1 gram of carbs and 2 grams of sugar per scoop. I usually use half a scoop so I can have more. It is sustained releases so you stay fuller longer. I think it has 28 grams of protein. It taste great and I'd not to thick. I usually use water or half almond milk half water.