How long....

Options
Hi All!!! I just started my "healthy living" as I choose to call it lol. I was curious on how long it took to start dropping the pounds? I've decided to only weigh myself once a week and I'm trying to be patient and not do it sooner! Lol thanks guys!!

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how fast. Just do your plan of once a week. Sometimes it will be less sometimes it wont. Weightloss isn't linear and it's not a race. Any trend of increased wright or stable weight for over 3 weeks is when you need to recheck your #s or measurement of food. Also as your weight drops about every 5 pounds the amount you can eat and lose the same weight drops as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    there are about a million variables that would go into answering that question. a very overweight person is going to initially lose at a faster rate than someone who is smaller for example...also consistency matters...accuracy matters, etc, etc, etc.

as stated above, it's not a linear process...you don't lose exactly X Lbs per week or X ounces per day. you will have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains. you have to be able to watch the trend and to watch the trend requires time...weeks and months.
  • Spierce02
    Spierce02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hutcha12-thanks, I didn't know or even think about adjusting amounts, thank you!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person. When I started I lost 4 pounds my first week (all water weight) and I slowly lost the rest of my weight weekly.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How tall and how much do u weigh? If u are extremely over weight then u will probably see a big drop the first month or two. But that us only if u continue to eat at a deficit.
  • Spierce02
    Options
    I am 5' and need to lose 80#s to get down to the Ideal weight for my height
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Spierce02 wrote: »
    I am 5' and need to lose 80#s to get down to the Ideal weight for my height

Yeah looking at that kind of loss you're playing the long game. At a steady 2#s per week that's 10 months of loss. Make small changes in your diet/lifestyle and build on as you go. Maybe focus diet first which I'm sure you are. Once that feels good add light exercise. Once you've lost a fair bit you can think about training for a local 5k or lifting weights. This is a lifestyle you want to keep after the weight comes off so don't over load at the start. I'm down 80# from my heaviest and working on the last 20.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any large amount at the beginning. Took a couple of weeks to see much change, but then steady at about 3 lbs/month.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily. Why wait a week to find out you are going in the wrong direction?! Stay on top of it! :)
  • Spierce02
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love getting advise and feedback! It helps a lot!