30 day shred and mfp

Options
New to my fitness pal and wanting to loose 2lbs a week been given 1200 calories per day, ive also got 30 day shred and wanting to combine both. Wondering if anybody is out there whos done 30ds and mfp together any success or tips? im also worried that i might loose inches but gain weight from muscle so dont want to feel disheartened

Replies

• wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    you wont gain muscle or weight from the muscle, you might/likely will strengthen the muscle you already have and lose some of the fat that is covering it up which makes you see more definition...eating at a deficit and exercising will never make the scale go up given consistent weighing practices

Also, how you actually count your calories is going to be important...are you weighing your food? reading labels" eyeballing it? it makes a difference
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 lbs doing my first round of 30 ds and using myfitness pal to log my food and exercise calories. At such a deficit, such a little time and using lighter weights/higher reps there is no way you're going to get muscle WEIGHT from Jillian Michaels dvds. You might have a tad of water retention in recently used muscles but mostly you'll lose inches, lbs while gaining some strength, endurance and confidence. Best of luck!
  • bevis64
    bevis64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks 10lbs is brilliant! How do i log the 30ds on mfp? I cant seem to find it!? And thanks to both of you for explaining about the muscle gain! I had no idea haha last time i did 30ds for a week and saw a difference that was without an app, so yes I'll be counting the calories properly now I have this going to try really heard.
    Did you loose 10lbs after completing the whole 30ds and what did you do after did the weight stay off?

Thanks very much! :)
  • bevis64
    Options
    wheelsjad wrote: »
    you wont gain muscle or weight from the muscle, you might/likely will strengthen the muscle you already have and lose some of the fat that is covering it up which makes you see more definition...eating at a deficit and exercising will never make the scale go up given consistent weighing practices

Also, how you actually count your calories is going to be important...are you weighing your food? reading labels" eyeballing it? it makes a difference
    I lost my first 10 lbs doing my first round of 30 ds and using myfitness pal to log my food and exercise calories. At such a deficit, such a little time and using lighter weights/higher reps there is no way you're going to get muscle WEIGHT from Jillian Michaels dvds. You might have a tad of water retention in recently used muscles but mostly you'll lose inches, lbs while gaining some strength, endurance and confidence. Best of luck!

Thank you for the help! Youve explained the muscles to me which helps haha :) going to try and stick to the mfp and 30ds and praying i loose some weight!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think I read this right, you want to loose weight on a 30 day shred program while eating the calories MFP setup for you to loose these 2 pounds a week...??

To be the bearer of any news that might be negative, you will not gain weight from muscle while in a calorie deficit. You will loose inches and if your deficit is too large you will also loose muscle. You will retain water at first and it may even seem you are gaining in the first week or so, it is just your body adapting. Give any program and nutritional changes (calorie deficit) you make 3 - 4 weeks to adapt.

In my mind, if I gained muscle while in a calorie deficit I would not need to lift weights... LOL
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    bevis64 wrote: »
    New to my fitness pal and wanting to loose 2lbs a week been given 1200 calories per day, ive also got 30 day shred and wanting to combine both. Wondering if anybody is out there whos done 30ds and mfp together any success or tips? im also worried that i might loose inches but gain weight from muscle so dont want to feel disheartened

MFP is a great tool for weight loss. Measure your portions and log them. Stay at your calorie goal & lose weight.

30 Day Shred is a circuit training video. High impact cardio with some strength training. This will burn 200-300 calories depending upon your size. So using the video alone, weight loss would be terribly very slow.

MFP will give you a calorie deficit with zero exercise factored in. 1200 is the default minimum, that happens with aggressive goals. So plan on eating 1200 + (50-75%) of your exercise calories back. So eating 1400 and burning 200 with 30 Day Shred is 1200 NET calories. Your body needs fuel if you want to hang onto existing lean muscle.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    How do i log the 30ds on mfp?

Log it as Circuit training
  • bevis64
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I think I read this right, you want to loose weight on a 30 day shred program while eating the calories MFP setup for you to loose these 2 pounds a week...??

To be the bearer of any news that might be negative, you will not gain weight from muscle while in a calorie deficit. You will loose inches and if your deficit is too large you will also loose muscle. You will retain water at first and it may even seem you are gaining in the first week or so, it is just your body adapting. Give any program and nutritional changes (calorie deficit) you make 3 - 4 weeks to adapt.

In my mind, if I gained muscle while in a calorie deficit I would not need to lift weights... LOL

Im saying ive done the dvd before and in my first week i looked netter but weighed more and just wanted to know if it was muscles that had caused me to gain weight or not im not fully knowledgeable on my own about water retention etc.

Are you saying loose 2lbs on 1200 calories a day with 30 ds i will not loose weight?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Thanks 10lbs is brilliant! How do i log the 30ds on mfp? I cant seem to find it!? And thanks to both of you for explaining about the muscle gain! I had no idea haha last time i did 30ds for a week and saw a difference that was without an app, so yes I'll be counting the calories properly now I have this going to try really heard.
    Did you loose 10lbs after completing the whole 30ds and what did you do after did the weight stay off?

I logged it as circuit training general at first until I got a heart rate monitor and created my own workout for each level using the calories it estimated. The first time around I did the shred again then started insanity (until I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd) This last time (and final time) starting again I got Jillians Body revolution after and since then, going on 675 days logged straight now I've done a variety of other things, programs and just keeping it going day by day.
  • bevis64
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Im saying ive done the dvd before and in my first week i looked netter but weighed more and just wanted to know if it was muscles that had caused me to gain weight or not im not fully knowledgeable on my own about water retention etc.

Are you saying loose 2lbs on 1200 calories a day with 30 ds i will not loose weight?

30ds is a weight loss dvd not a calorie deficit program
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I started another round of 30 day 2 days ago. I didn't lose much weight on my first round but I did lose inches. I don't recall how many but it was a few to make a difference in the way my clothes fit. I love it and I think you will too if you stick through it.
  • bevis64
    Options
    sw33tp3a15 wrote: »
    I started another round of 30 day 2 days ago. I didn't lose much weight on my first round but I did lose inches. I don't recall how many but it was a few to make a difference in the way my clothes fit. I love it and I think you will too if you stick through it.

Thank you for the reply, thats what Ive wanted to hear, can you explain why you didnt loose weight but you lost inches, and did you use mfp whilst you did your first round? :)