OrangeTheory Fitness!!! Out Of This World!

Options
2»

Replies

• kdm9295
    kdm9295 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I joined OTF about a month ago. I've not seen any weight come off yet, but my energy level is increased and I really enjoy the classes. I always dreaded going to the gym. I'm not self-motivated to figure out and follow a routine. And I find with OTF I do push myself far more than I did on my own.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    JoJo__Fit wrote: »
    I am completely obsessed with OTF, I lost inches going 5x's a week for 30 days, I wasn't eating according to my goals either and was able to lose weight. I love the challenge and I always leave the studio happy and accomplished.
    This has been my go to method of training because I have completely lost motivation to workout on my own, which consist of weight training and little to no cardio. When I get my clearance to workout again, I will be implementing heavy weight lifting because I did lose some muscle mass, since the orange. The orange is circuit training however to tone, even when I use heavy weights at the orange as well, I feel like I wasn't accomplishing that.

Has anyone tried OTF and what is your experience and thoughts?

Whatever works for you and motivates you. OTF is about 10% science and 90% marketing and woo. (And even some of their "science"--i e the claims about EPOC--are distorted).

However the same could be said about most exercise classes and "branded" training methods. People see results from OTF because they are motivated by the routine and that makes them not only more focused during the workout, but makes them more consistent with the program. Again, that is not insignificant -- a major component of success in a training program is being motivated to stick with it.

It probably sounds like I am being negative, but that is not my intent. I just think it is important for people to understand that there is nothing magic or unique about OTF from a physiological standpoint. If people are going to spend a lot of money--whether it's for OTF, a personal trainer, hot yoga, Pilates, etc--they should know what they are buying.

OTF is effective because it uses technology to tap into people's competitive and narcissistic tendencies. The new spin bikes at my Y do something similar, although less gadgety - there's a light on the bike that turns a different color based on your level of exertion.

Interesting. How does the bike measure your level of exertion?

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    I am completely obsessed with OTF, I lost inches going 5x's a week for 30 days, I wasn't eating according to my goals either and was able to lose weight. I love the challenge and I always leave the studio happy and accomplished.
    This has been my go to method of training because I have completely lost motivation to workout on my own, which consist of weight training and little to no cardio. When I get my clearance to workout again, I will be implementing heavy weight lifting because I did lose some muscle mass, since the orange. The orange is circuit training however to tone, even when I use heavy weights at the orange as well, I feel like I wasn't accomplishing that.

Whatever works for you and motivates you. OTF is about 10% science and 90% marketing and woo. (And even some of their "science"--i e the claims about EPOC--are distorted).

However the same could be said about most exercise classes and "branded" training methods. People see results from OTF because they are motivated by the routine and that makes them not only more focused during the workout, but makes them more consistent with the program. Again, that is not insignificant -- a major component of success in a training program is being motivated to stick with it.

It probably sounds like I am being negative, but that is not my intent. I just think it is important for people to understand that there is nothing magic or unique about OTF from a physiological standpoint. If people are going to spend a lot of money--whether it's for OTF, a personal trainer, hot yoga, Pilates, etc--they should know what they are buying.

OTF is effective because it uses technology to tap into people's competitive and narcissistic tendencies. The new spin bikes at my Y do something similar, although less gadgety - there's a light on the bike that turns a different color based on your level of exertion.

That's a great question. I think it uses heart rate monitor in combination with the resistance level of the bike.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »

That's a great question. I think it uses heart rate monitor in combination with the resistance level of the bike.

Ah okay, that makes sense then if you can put in HR zones and such!
  • deonnathomas29
    deonnathomas29 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    OTF is priced based on where you live and/or use your membership. For instance, its more costly here in Chicago than it would be in Milwaukee. The trick is to sign up in a smaller city; however, you cant use the app to schedule classes if you take them in a larger city and you may have to pay a premium fee to use the class. That's unfortunate, but the workout is prob the best workout especially for those of us that don't know all the proper techniques and don't like to waste an entire hour on a treadmill. Love it, feel very accomplished, but I agree with JoJo__Fit, you will have to incorporate some more weight training with this routine. :p
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I’ve been going for almost two years now. I don’t find it to be amazingly groundbreaking, but I do like that I can get in, get it done, get showered and back to life in 1.5 hours. No planning. No thinking. No pushing myself. That $12 no show fee is quite motivating too.

It does irritate me they call it a 60 minute workout. It’s really much closer to 45 with the downtime.

My membership is $169 for unlimited classes.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I went to one class. I train pretty hard on my own at both the gym and my basement. I'm not trying to just rip them but a few of the things really bothered me about it.

It's "science" is based on HR training, yet they are using inaccurate HR Max as the standard and then working down a percentage from that to be in your "zones". Anyone that has used HR training for a while knows you don't use HR Max as your training guide, you use HR Reserve. It's complicated but my max for my age is WAY higher than the age formula they wanted to use. My resting HR is way lower than most too, so my HR reserve is pretty wide. And to add to all of this, they won't use what you know is your HR max (even if you can verify it with a HR monitor) as your true max because of lawsuit risk. I'd have to go to a doc and fork out a couple hundred dollars for a stress test and have the doc sign off on it to prove what I already know is my HR max (and resting if their "science" was worth it).

Long and short, it's fun, but it's not "scientific" as they claim. For me, the readings were worthless. I was half arsing it and got 50 "splat points". The instructor said she'd never seen anyone get that many on their first class. That number was inflated because I wasn't near my true max. Then to have her try to pick on my rowing form (I'm ranked pretty high for my age group in Indoor rowing in the US) was just the icing on the cake. The instructor had no clue how to row and she was telling me how to row. I didn't tell her I'm pretty decent at rowing (I'd likely be sub 6:50 on a 2K on their machines. They did a 500m "test" later that day, after she critiqued my form, and I nearly set the club "record" and I'm not that fast on sprints for a competitive indoor rower).

It's fun and for the recreational gym person that's never pushed themselves, it's a fun (albeit expensive) way to go.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I bought a package last Decemeber ($300 for 28 sessions; my workplace reimburses me). I go once a week for a HIIT workout. The workouts are varied and usually test me so that's good. The 'science' of their workouts is largely pseudoscience targeted at people who don't know any better. I doubt I'll renew my package when it runs out though. It's simply not worth the money.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I went to one class. I train pretty hard on my own at both the gym and my basement. I'm not trying to just rip them but a few of the things really bothered me about it.

It's "science" is based on HR training, yet they are using inaccurate HR Max as the standard and then working down a percentage from that to be in your "zones". Anyone that has used HR training for a while knows you don't use HR Max as your training guide, you use HR Reserve. It's complicated but my max for my age is WAY higher than the age formula they wanted to use. My resting HR is way lower than most too, so my HR reserve is pretty wide. And to add to all of this, they won't use what you know is your HR max (even if you can verify it with a HR monitor) as your true max because of lawsuit risk. I'd have to go to a doc and fork out a couple hundred dollars for a stress test and have the doc sign off on it to prove what I already know is my HR max (and resting if their "science" was worth it).

Long and short, it's fun, but it's not "scientific" as they claim. For me, the readings were worthless. I was half arsing it and got 50 "splat points". The instructor said she'd never seen anyone get that many on their first class. That number was inflated because I wasn't near my true max. Then to have her try to pick on my rowing form (I'm ranked pretty high for my age group in Indoor rowing in the US) was just the icing on the cake. The instructor had no clue how to row and she was telling me how to row. I didn't tell her I'm pretty decent at rowing (I'd likely be sub 6:50 on a 2K on their machines. They did a 500m "test" later that day, after she critiqued my form, and I nearly set the club "record" and I'm not that fast on sprints for a competitive indoor rower).

I got 47 splat points on my first visit. They use the 220-age formula to determine your max HR. I'm 47 which calculates to 173 which my true max heart rate is about 185 while my resting HR is aroun 50. So basically the board tells me I'm in orange or red for at least 75% of the class because their calculations are off.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tried it once. Not a fan. It was a good workout, but I could have gotten a better one on my own.

To be fair, that was partly because it was a partner workout, and I was saddled with a guy who just walked on the treadmill instead of running fast. The goal was for one partner to cover a certain distance on the treadmill (0.2 miles?) while the other partner was rowing as fast as possible. Because he took so long to cover that distance, I was gassing out. I could have gotten a more effective jnterval training workout if I had been able to shift gears to something else, as one normally would.

The weights circuit we did wasn't very demanding either.