Yoghurt?

Options
Can anyone reccomend a good low sugar yoghurt in UK supermarkets?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Canadian here. Yogurts naturally will have some sugar, as sugar/carbs are naturally in milk. The bacteria in yogurts consume some of the lactose however, converting it to lactic acid.

http://authoritynutrition.com/foods/yogurt/

You might also want to try Kefir.

Your best bet is to compare the nutrition labels of the commercial yogurts you have ready access to.
  • KUAngie
    KUAngie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My fave kind of yogurt is Siggi Icelandic style yogurt..... It is called skyr. It is high and protein and low in sugar. They use agave nectar in some of the favors to sweeten. I don't think it is available in Europe. But look for skyr type yogurt. Kefir is good too.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I live in Ireland and love the Glenisk organic yogurts. We have it in tesco so I presume you can get it in UK too. It's by far the nicest of the low fat/low calorie yogurts. Don't get the 0fat one, the low fat or normal fat are delicious.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I buy natural yoghurt. They shouldn't have anything added and only have the natural "sugar" from the milk. If I want it sweetened/flavoured I added protein powder, or a little stevia. Sometimes cacao, or cinnamon :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    All yogurts will have sugar. Buy the plain and the sugar is just lactose.

Fage is an excellent, tasty brand that is available in the UK, I believe.

Greek yogurt will have relatively more protein than regular yogurt.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fage and skyr are my two favourites, you can get them at Tesco or any of the major supermarkets.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    KUAngie wrote: »
    My fave kind of yogurt is Siggi Icelandic style yogurt..... It is called skyr. It is high and protein and low in sugar. They use agave nectar in some of the favors to sweeten. I don't think it is available in Europe. But look for skyr type yogurt. Kefir is good too.
    I second this, Skyr is really good; you can find it in Tesco. I also get Fage Total Greek yoghurt.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    As above, yogurts are made with milk, so will contain naturally occurring sugars.

Arla Skyr is available in most UK supermarkets, both plain and flavoured.

Others to look out for are Liberte and Fage, but for a cheaper alternative you can't really go wrong with supermarket own brand plain Greek or natural yogurts, although they aren't as thick and creamy.

There's also the Alpro plant based yogurt alternatives
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I love Alpro soya yoghurts, the plain is low fat/cal, the fruit flavours all tasty, not so keen on the nut flavoured ones. Also like Tesco Free From passion fruit/raspberry and mango soya yogs.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Natural yogurt with only milk listed in the ingredients (you can choose a low fat option too)
    I buy waitrose own brand with the green label.
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Buy natural Yeo Valley organic. It's British! Support our farmers.