Anybody else have this prob?

Options
2»

Replies

• hellovickykitty
    hellovickykitty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have that same urge. I try to keep calories allotted for some night time snacking; string cheese, fruit, skinny cow ice cream sandwich etc... I also have tea in the evening (lately anyway). Thats always comforting and gives me something to enjoy. Will power is the best defense but try and fit in a snack at night if its something that creeps up on you regularly.
    Going to try tea. I failed to mention I breastfeed and that gets me crazy hungry after nighttime feelings!
  • hellovickykitty
    Options
    the only treat i cant have in the house are peanut butter cups.

all willpower i have goes straight out the window with those. other things, i can*generally* ignore

if you find there is a major trigger food, sometimes purging it and not allowing it to be kept in the house is the only solution. obviously, you cant do that with everything, but if one item is a temptation you really CANT ignore. dont buy it. the kids can have it as a sometimes snack other times.
    I'm still new to this but I have been told to put everything in baggies that way I'm not eating straight out the bag or jar!

• DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have that same urge. I try to keep calories allotted for some night time snacking; string cheese, fruit, skinny cow ice cream sandwich etc... I also have tea in the evening (lately anyway). Thats always comforting and gives me something to enjoy. Will power is the best defense but try and fit in a snack at night if its something that creeps up on you regularly.
    Going to try tea. I failed to mention I breastfeed and that gets me crazy hungry after nighttime feelings!

Be sure you are consuming the extra calories for nursing. i breastfed two boys and it helped regulate my poor eating, definitely made me ravenous. Theres even an option in the food log for breastfeeding.
  • glimmersilver
    glimmersilver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also plan on a late-night snack. Sometimes even a small glass of port or a cordial like Bailey's. Quite small glass - those things are really high in calories! But sipping them very slowly can satisfy the munchy urge for me.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Put a few portions into snack bags for yourself and save some calories to indulge or use some exercise calories to "earn" the snack. I have also found that slicing a whole unpeeled cucumber and eating like chips will help satisfy the need to snack, as will a sliced up apple. Then of course, make sure you get your water in for the day. Find an incompatible hobby. My favorite is Crocheting but needlepoint or crewel embroidery or counted crossstitch works well also.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be crucified for this because the chemicals in microwave popcorn are the devil, but seriously, 100 calorie popcorn packs have been my life saver on nights like these. My step son has even called me obsessed or addicted to popcorn. But at 100 cals for like 4.5 cups, I get to satisfy the snacking urge. You could air pop. I'm not that ambitious.

All food is chemicals. It'll be ok.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough, and enough protein overall, especially to support your breastfeeding. I took a gander at your diary for the last few days and it looks great! so moving on.

Save some calories for a snack if it's important to you. Something small and crunchy like celery, carrots, or sliced apples might do the trick, or something more caloric/desirable like the crisps. Portion it out for the week and prelog it, so you know its there, and you can look forward to it.

Other tricks:
    Tea: I like Tazo Passion tea when I want wine or something sweet and doesn't have caffeine. So strong and flavorful! Other no/extremely low cal ideas: Gum, tic tacs, hard candy like worthers or Ice Breaker Sours, water with some sort of fresh citrus, mio, sugar free drink packet, cucumber, mint, etc in it.

lowish cals: sunflower seeds in the shell (take forever to eat and are good for you), pretzel sticks (fairly large portion for 100-110 cals and I eat them slow), certain types of popcorn, fruit, veg

Good luck!
  • hellovickykitty
    Options

Be sure you are consuming the extra calories for nursing. i breastfed two boys and it helped regulate my poor eating, definitely made me ravenous. Theres even an option in the food log for breastfeeding.

I saw that! I'm trying to figure out how to log since I don't pump just feed
  • hellovickykitty
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Make sure you are eating enough, and enough protein overall, especially to support your breastfeeding. I took a gander at your diary for the last few days and it looks great! so moving on.

Save some calories for a snack if it's important to you. Something small and crunchy like celery, carrots, or sliced apples might do the trick, or something more caloric/desirable like the crisps. Portion it out for the week and prelog it, so you know its there, and you can look forward to it.

Other tricks:
    Tea: I like Tazo Passion tea when I want wine or something sweet and doesn't have caffeine. So strong and flavorful! Other no/extremely low cal ideas: Gum, tic tacs, hard candy like worthers or Ice Breaker Sours, water with some sort of fresh citrus, mio, sugar free drink packet, cucumber, mint, etc in it.

lowish cals: sunflower seeds in the shell (take forever to eat and are good for you), pretzel sticks (fairly large portion for 100-110 cals and I eat them slow), certain types of popcorn, fruit, veg

Good luck!

Really?!? It looks great? Thank you! That inspires me to keep on! I will try low calorie snacks. Sometimes I go to store and I'm just lost at what I should buy other than fruits and veggies.

• Kimpadula201
    Kimpadula201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is me except I want sweets. Can't keep anything in the house at all. Last food shopping trip I get yogurt but I need to cut that out too. I agree with what the others have said about cucumbers and carrots. I like tea I'm going to try to replace that as my something sweet at night. Hang in there we can do it it'll be worth it!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

Are you nursing full time? Or does your baby get formula or solid food? I added an extra 500 calories a day until my baby was 6 months old and eating more solid foods. Then I dropped to 300. He just turned 1 and I've still been losing weight while adding an extra 300 so I'm keeping it the same for now. There's an option on the MFP food datebase for breastfeeding and it gives you extra calories each day.

Personally, I'm always in a snacky mood at night too. During the day, I'm busy caring for my kids and I don't get to sit and just enjoy meal times. So I save up calories and I eat a large snack in the evening. I usually save 300-400 calories for a snack and I don't care about being "healthy" necessarily. I do well during the day so I can splurge in the evening. No kids to bug me. ;) I've lost 77 lbs doing this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat enough popcorn for two every night. I am at maintenance or a surplus, but today I'm in a deficit and was still able to do it. Start pre logging your day and make room for a snack. Maybe find something else you like that is less calorie dense.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have found doing something helps keep the munchies away. I find I eat more out of boredom than actually being hungry. If I do want something sweet, a cup of instant cocoa will sometimes help. I have also found Dry Sodas that are 70 calories or less, depending on flavors. They do not have artificial sweeteners and come in many flavors including some odd ones like lavender, rhubarb, and cucumber (all of which are quite good). I leave a little "cushion" in my daily allotment so I can have a small snack if I want one. Sipping a cup of tea with a little honey or one of the fruit flavored herbal teas will also help curb the urge to eat. I have learned to ignore the "crap" food as my husband insists on having chips and candy in the house, he is a real snack hound!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue. Now, I save some cals and have a treat in the evenings. It keeps me on track during the day because I know that I get a treat later, and it helps me to not feel like I'm on a diet. The majority of my foods are determined by my weight loss and health goals (workout and meet macro and micronutrients), so having a small treat in the evenings is fine. I will not deprive myself of tasty foods for the rest of my life, so I feel it's important to learn how to fit them into my plan now.
  • hellovickykitty
    Options

Are you nursing full time? Or does your baby get formula or solid food? I added an extra 500 calories a day until my baby was 6 months old and eating more solid foods. Then I dropped to 300. He just turned 1 and I've still been losing weight while adding an extra 300 so I'm keeping it the same for now. There's an option on the MFP food datebase for breastfeeding and it gives you extra calories each day.

Personally, I'm always in a snacky mood at night too. During the day, I'm busy caring for my kids and I don't get to sit and just enjoy meal times. So I save up calories and I eat a large snack in the evening. I usually save 300-400 calories for a snack and I don't care about being "healthy" necessarily. I do well during the day so I can splurge in the evening. No kids to bug me. ;) I've lost 77 lbs doing this!

Awesome! Thats exactly what i do. I tend to have no control at nightafter feedimgs im hungry. My daughter just turned 7 months so she is eating a littke bit of solid food. How long has it taken you to lose 77lbs thats great! What exercises are you doing as well?