What vitamins should a woman be taking?

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @girlinahat
    Also, its pretty condescending to add "your beloved folic acid". And fairly ignorant, but I'm guessing you've never actually seen the result of Folic Acid deficiency. It's horrific, and until significant campaigning by the March of Dimes to increase folic acid intake was quite common. These days you rarely see it, largely because of the effectiveness of their campaign, but also because it's a common reason women seek abortions.

I am not dissing the recommending of taking folic acid for those of child-bearing age to prevent problems during pregnancy. I know about spina bifida. But to go from saying women of child-bearing age should take folic acid (even if they are not planning children) to making the leap to 'we should all take multi-vitamins just in case' is a leap too far.

By the way, I've never heard of the March of Dimes. Is that because I'm ignorant, or because this is an international website?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I'm sorry, do you actually know how to read a scientific study? Because I provided several that confirm that (1) multivitamins are safe (2) multivitamins are effective in disease prevention of osteoporosis & neural tube defects. I didn't just link blogs something, either. Everyone recommends a varied diet, but international studies show that deficiency in calcium, folic acid, (and Vitamin D) are widespread internationally.

I have been tested for deficiencies about 10 years ago, retested this year. I am not deficient in calcium. Even though I do not consume much dairy.
    I live in a very sunny area. I have no reason to take vitamin D, and I do not know anyone who has been asked by their dr to supplement vitamin D IRL. Probably a very different case in other areas, but completely unnecessary to supplement here.
    I have a serious vitamin B12 deficiency and iron deficiency. Had I been regularly taking folic acid, the anemia could have been masked, and the underlying problem never investigated. For people with pernicious anemia (which is not a very exotic rare condition either), B12 can hide the problem, and lead to permanent damage. There is no such thing as "safe" supplementation unsupervised by a dr. Unless the supplements are so low in vitamins that they are just useless.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with other posters that if you haven't been diagnosed as deficient and/or it hasn't been deemed appropriate by a doctor then there really no scientific basis to taking vitamin supplements.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/tag/vitamins/
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the above.

Taking vitamin supplements should always be considered in exactly the same way as taking any medication. There are side effects. Before taking ANY medication a person should assess what underlying conditions they may have that require this medication, and be aware of possible side effects. A deficiency in B12 can be hidden by taking supplements of folic acid. I didn't know this until today, and am glad I do now. Many others may also not be aware of this.

No one should be recommending the supplementation of a person's diet with multivitamins unless they a) know their medical history and b) are a medical professional
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I take a multi sans iron on doc recommendations. And in the winter if my mood sours I'm advised to add in vitamin D as somehow despite the fair complexion and living in the Southeast I don't get enough.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A woman, as in all women, any women, I, you? I don't take any supplements; the rest seems to have been covered already.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm taking fish-oil pills (1 a day; low dose) since i hardly ever eat any fish in the whole month!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamins were useless for me, Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin D supplements in pill form were useless for me. This is why you need to get a recommendation from a doctor. They can help find the right way to treat a deficiency and make sure it really is working. I had to try multiple ways to get my Vitamin b-12 and Vitamin D deficiencies in order. The only thing that has worked is liquid forms of both.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Vitamins are useless to me even though my diet is deficient for medical reasons as I have absorption issues. I get iron infusions and vitamin b12 shots and when it is really bad blood transfusions. My serum iron was still 0 while taking FeraMax pills daily
  • michaelar_ae
    michaelar_ae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    None. Unless your physician has specified a vitamin supplement. Eat a healthy, well rounded diet and you will be fine. You're just paying for expensive piss when you take vitamin supplements.
  • nevergiveup2319
    nevergiveup2319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just take a multivitamin and drink milk everyday for calcium. Sometimes I take fish oil.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ask your doctor. or any woman multivitamin.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Please get your blood tested. If you're vegetarian, you're almost definitely deficient in Vit B12. I'm deficient in Vit D3 because I'm brown skinned.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The only vitamins you need to take are ones you're deficient in. Last time I had a blood test, it was just vitamin D, which is very common, especially in the winter.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    Thank you!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

"Looking at all the evidence—from epidemiological studies on diet and health, to biochemical studies on the minute mechanisms of disease—the potential health benefits of taking a standard daily multivitamin appear to outweigh the potential risks for most people."

That doesn't contradict the fact that a multivitamin is useless if you have no deficiencies.

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    @girlinahat I'm sorry, do you actually know how to read a scientific study? Because I provided several that confirm that (1) multivitamins are safe (2) multivitamins are effective in disease prevention of osteoporosis & neural tube defects. I didn't just link blogs something, either. Everyone recommends a varied diet, but international studies show that deficiency in calcium, folic acid, (and Vitamin D) are widespread internationally.

I have been tested for deficiencies about 10 years ago, retested this year. I am not deficient in calcium. Even though I do not consume much dairy.
    I live in a very sunny area. I have no reason to take vitamin D, and I do not know anyone who has been asked by their dr to supplement vitamin D IRL. Probably a very different case in other areas, but completely unnecessary to supplement here.
    I have a serious vitamin B12 deficiency and iron deficiency. Had I been regularly taking folic acid, the anemia could have been masked, and the underlying problem never investigated. For people with pernicious anemia (which is not a very exotic rare condition either), B12 can hide the problem, and lead to permanent damage. There is no such thing as "safe" supplementation unsupervised by a dr. Unless the supplements are so low in vitamins that they are just useless.

I will add to this @aggelikik to say I totally agree with what you say and also to reiterate it is unsafe to be recommending any type of vitamin unless you know someone's medical background. My medication that keeps me alive actually interacts negatively with calcium, iron and folic acid supplements, I can't even eat fortified cereals without noticing a negative impact therefore a multivitamin can most definitely do harm. You can't assume people know their medicines interactions with over the counter supplements therefore you can't say you must take x,y,z supplement, it is dangerous!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

"Looking at all the evidence—from epidemiological studies on diet and health, to biochemical studies on the minute mechanisms of disease—the potential health benefits of taking a standard daily multivitamin appear to outweigh the potential risks for most people."

That doesn't contradict the fact that a multivitamin is useless if you have no deficiencies.
    u

The quote you brought up says that taking a multivitamin has greater benefits than potential risks FOR MOST PEOPLE. It doesn't say "only if you have deficiencies." In fact, the entire article is discussing the pros and cons of taking a multivitains as an average every day person, not specifically in light of deficiencies.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I take the One-a-Day woman's vitamin. I have no reasoning other than my mother made me take One-a-Day growing up along with when giving a medical history the doctor always says "good" when I get to the vitamin.

If I had better eating habits I'd give up the vitamin.