Weighing myself in the morning without going toilet first

Options
Possibly a strange question, but how reliable is it to weigh myself in the morning without going toilet first?
I aim to weigh myself first thing in the morning once a week (Wednesday).
The thing is, I can't always go toilet first thing on a Wednesday (sometimes not even on a Thursday either, need to wait later in the day before I go) - any tips on consistently weighing myself so I can actually properly compare my results week to week?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Going to the toilet or not only makes a difference that day. Long-term, it won't make a difference. It is fun to weigh yourself before and after, though. ;)
  • beasy22
    beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey! I tend to do the same and weigh my self first thing in the morning. I guess as long as you weigh your self consistently at the same time each week that is the key. :smile:
  • reddeament
    reddeament Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Going to the toilet or not only makes a difference that day. Long-term, it won't make a difference. It is fun to weigh yourself before and after, though. ;)

haha that's true - I guess that's why some people take laxatives :smiley: (not me, screw that - I heard if you start to take them - you risk becoming dependent on them)
    beasy22 wrote: »
    Hey! I tend to do the same and weigh my self first thing in the morning. I guess as long as you weigh your self consistently at the same time each week that is the key. :smile:

yeah true, and keep track of the overall trend. as long as it's downwards!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    This is what I did. It may not work for you but I will still share because it could help someone else reading this thread.

I used a chart to track my weight. There's many apps like trendweight that are really easy to use. I would log the weight anytime I weighed myself . it didn't matter If I had used the bathroom or not because I was keeping track of the overall trends over time . after charting your weight over months you will be able to see the fluctuations and get a good idea of how much your really losing per month. I didn't keep to the same day weighing each week, sometimes I weighed myself daily and sometimes I didn't. Whenever I weighed myself I would just log the weight on the chart. Within 8 weeks of doing this I was able to see that i was losing 1 lb per week average (4lbs per month )
    Because my weight fluctuated a lot the chart helped me to see my progress without having to worry about water weight masking any losses and without worrying about what day to weigh in and all that stuff
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to #1 or #2? I can't imaging not having to go #1 immediately upon waking. If you are referring to #2, don't worry about it. Just weigh yourself in the morning when it is convenient and pay attention to the overall trend. A few ounces here and there on a specific weigh in are not going to make a difference in your overall weight.
  • reddeament
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    This is what I did. It may not work for you but I will still share because it could help someone else reading this thread.

I used a chart to track my weight. There's many apps like trendweight that are really easy to use. I would log the weight anytime I weighed myself . it didn't matter If I had used the bathroom or not because I was keeping track of the overall trends over time . after charting your weight over months you will be able to see the fluctuations and get a good idea of how much your really losing per month. I didn't keep to the same day weighing each week, sometimes I weighed myself daily and sometimes I didn't. Whenever I weighed myself I would just log the weight on the chart. Within 8 weeks of doing this I was able to see that i was losing 1 lb per week average (4lbs per month )
    Because my weight fluctuated a lot the chart helped me to see my progress without having to worry about water weight masking any losses and without worrying about what day to weigh in and all that stuff

ooh thanks - looking up Trendweight on the app store now :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Trendweight doesn't have an app unfortunately, but you can use HappyScale (for apple thingies) or Libra for proper phones Android.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Trendweight doesn't need an app. Just make a bookmark and then place the bookmark on your home screen (Android, I hope you can do this basic functionality on iOS). Works just as well as an app.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Are you referring to #1 or #2? I can't imaging not having to go #1 immediately upon waking. If you are referring to #2, don't worry about it. Just weigh yourself in the morning when it is convenient and pay attention to the overall trend. A few ounces here and there on a specific weigh in are not going to make a difference in your overall weight.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Unless there is some reason why you are in a place with no toilet on certain days of the week, I'd just go to the bathroom and then weigh myself no matter what actually ended up going in the toilet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I always have to urinate immediately when I wake up but don't do anything else in the toilet until later in the day. I weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink anything.
    I think if you keep the conditions the same you can compare weights okay.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I always have to urinate immediately when I wake up but don't do anything else in the toilet until later in the day. I weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink anything.
    I think if you keep the conditions the same you can compare weights okay.

And if there is a variable one day (like you ate something the day before that gave you the runs or constipation or you ate more sodium than usual and are retaining water) it shouldn't affect the overall trend.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Why would you weigh yourself without peeing first? For giggles, I have done a before/after on a full bladder, and I've seen the difference be near 2 pounds.
  • reddeament
    Options
    Whoops I should have clarified - I always pee first before weighing myself. But can't always do number 2 in the morning.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Trendweight is based on the book 'Hacker's diet'.
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/
    There is a free iphone app also based on that book "True Weight Lite". (I bought the $0.99 "True Weight" app to support the writer.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    reddeament wrote: »
    Whoops I should have clarified - I always pee first before weighing myself. But can't always do number 2 in the morning.

That's perfectly normal. Some people do, some people don't. Some do it every day, some multiple times a day, some a few times a week. Completely normal.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Just weigh consistently every time. My routine is toilet, naked, weigh.

If you are going days between #2, you may want to start upping your fiber.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Just weigh consistently every time. My routine is toilet, naked, weigh.

If you are going days between #2, you may want to start upping your fiber.

and/or your fat and fluids. Or you may be one of those for whom it is "normal"
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Why would you weigh yourself without peeing first? For giggles, I have done a before/after on a full bladder, and I've seen the difference be near 2 pounds.

This cracked me up way more than it should've...LOL!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »

This cracked me up way more than it should've...LOL!

I was curious ;)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I recommend not worrying about this as I got into the habit of weighing only after #2 and now I freak out if I can't and it's a higher weight!