Food Pushers

Options
I deal with a lot of food pushers in my life, so I'm always looking for new ways to handle them. I'm reading the book "Lean Habits" and the author has a good tip:

"My secret weapon against loved ones encouraging you to overeat is to give a positive reason when you decline additional servings of stuffing or say no to taking home leftover pie. “I’ve been eating less sugar lately, and I feel amazing!” is tough to contend with, because who would want you to feel less amazing? Other things to try are, “I sleep so much better when I’m not too full,” and, “I’m at the perfect Goldilocks fullness now, so content but not uncomfortable. I’m staying here!”"

What are some positive reasons you might skip the treats people are pushing on you?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is lovely. No thank you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just say no thank you. It gets easier the more you say this.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above...when you give them an excuse, you give them a way to circumvent your excuse.

Say "I'm watching my sugar"...and next time they make an entire sugar free pie all for you.

Practice saying "no thank you". Use that twice if necessary. The third time a much firmer "I SAID no thank you"should do the trick
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I just say no thanks. There's no reason you must explain yourself every single time someone offers you a unwanted treat. Just say no thanks and that's it. If they want to discuss it further then be honest. Giving some Goldilocks fullness story one day and the next day saying how amazing you feel while cuttitg sugars may not go over well . if your honest then maybe they will stop asking.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it's something I have no intention of eating (because it's not something I eat, like pastries): ooh, thanks, but no thanks, that's no really my thing.
    If I've had a bit and don't want more: no thanks, I'm good.
    If they are jerks and put it on my plate after a few firm no thank yous, I leave it.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    just say no thanks. If someone said that Goldilocks line to me I'd roll my eyes at them.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just say no thank you as well.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My secret weapon against loved ones encouraging you to overeat is to give a positive reason when you decline additional servings of stuffing or say no to taking home leftover pie. “I’ve been eating less sugar lately, and I feel amazing!” is tough to contend with, because who would want you to feel less amazing? Other things to try are, “I sleep so much better when I’m not too full,” and, “I’m at the perfect Goldilocks fullness now, so content but not uncomfortable. I’m staying here!”"

I really don't think anyone should have to justify why they are saying no to anything being offered, be that food or anything else. "No thank you" is perfectly fine.

That Goldilocks thing is pretty funny though :lol:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I just say "no thank you...I'm not hungry right now."
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    no thank you, no thank you, NO THANK YOU! or did you not hear me the first two times! (ok the last bit I do say in my head!) :smile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Someone may take that sugar line as an opportunity to critique your diet (noun) or they might think you are laying on a guilt trip for them having it.

Just say no.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    No thanks works for me.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If I'm really close with the person, I'll say "You know how much I would love to eat all that, but I won't right now" and they do know! But if somebody I didn't know so well did this to me, I would just say no thanks.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just tell people I don't like things. "Do you want a cupcake?" "No I hate cupcakes." "Do you want some pizza?" "No I hate pizza." "Do you want some macadamia nuts? "No I hate macadamia nuts." People around me must think I hate life but no one offers me ANYTHING anymore. ha-ha

*Edit to add- I really do hate chocolate yet people don't believe me on that one.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If someone is literally pushing food on me that is anyone besides my grandma. I would tell them to mind their own and leave me alone if they didn't take no for an answer. But, I am not exactly full of sugar and rainbows. So that doesn't happen to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I usually just say "That looks delicious, but no thank you." If they keep pushing I'll usually follow-up with "WTH!? I said I didn't want any. Stop." or "Thank you, but seriously, no." depending on the relationship
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    At times I have had to get up and walk away.
    When I return, that person has moved on to something else. If not, I repeat, "No, I really do not want it. Thank you anyway."
    ->> Google "Broken Record Technique."
    It works on some people with certain mental illnesses, rude people, and food pushers.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Do people who won't take "no, thank you" for an answer actually exist? (other than grandmothers)
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just keep it real. I tell them I am trying to lose weight and I do not need or want another serving. After awhile they stop asking or pushing :)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I just make this face.
    lemon.gif?w=440&h=361&crop=1

I don't have a lot of friends.