Hate cardio, am I ok to literally just do weighted moves?

Options
ARGriffy
ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been at this a while now. I've not got much fat to lose and I think diet alone will sort that soo can I just do weights and drop cardio totally? I do 13,000 steps in an average day at work so I still move. my goal is just to shed a bit more body fat and gain definition all over! Thanks!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    A minimum amount of both cardio and resistance training are needed for health, regardless of other goals. If you are already getting enough of physical activity from general lifestyle, there is no need for additional exercise, unless you enjoy it or have specific fitness goals.
  • CaptianAmer
    CaptianAmer Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Cardio is just good to do for your general health. It helps strengthen your heart. And helps to get the blood flowing and get rid of the toxins in your body.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Weights all day! My opinion...
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    A minimum amount of both cardio and resistance training are needed for health, regardless of other goals. If you are already getting enough of physical activity from general lifestyle, there is no need for additional exercise, unless you enjoy it or have specific fitness goals.

What is the minimum?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

What is the minimum?

If I remember correctly the medical recommendation is half an hour of cardio, 5 times per week plus two resistance training sessions per week.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without cardio, it's all diet. If you don't want to do cardio, it's not necessary.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Its called cardio for a reason.....it works your cardio vascular system.....remember your heart is essentially a big muscle. Yes I realise weight lifting works your heart too..

Do both cardio and weight training for an all round healthy body.

Shaun.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am not medically cleared for cardio at the moment but can lift heavy and having no issues maintaining my weight (not trying to lose)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I've been at this a while now. I've not got much fat to lose and I think diet alone will sort that soo can I just do weights and drop cardio totally? I do 13,000 steps in an average day at work so I still move. my goal is just to shed a bit more body fat and gain definition all over! Thanks!

At 13,000 steps, you probably get enough cardio already.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

What is the minimum?

Here's what the ACSM recommends:

Cardiorespiratory Exercise
    Adults should get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week.
    Exercise recommendations can be met through 30-60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise (five days per week) or 20-60 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise (three days per week).
    One continuous session and multiple shorter sessions (of at least 10 minutes) are both acceptable to accumulate desired amount of daily exercise.

Here's their press release: http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/news-releases/2011/08/01/acsm-issues-new-recommendations-on-quantity-and-quality-of-exercise
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to....but you should! It's good for your heart, not just weight loss. Try to find some form of cardio that you enjoy. You dont have to spend hours on an elliptical (unless thats fun for you!) but run, swim, Zumba, cycling, etc. It isnt all bad :)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Oh I do go for swims and runs I just get bored putting it into my daily workout! Weights for me for a bit, hoping for some gains!!!