Loose skin...

Options
sdolan91
sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
Hi! I'm trying to lose 60 pounds!
I am SO worried about extra skin when I'm through though.... Is there any way to reduce that?... Any tips would be helpful... :(

Replies

• semordnilap
    semordnilap Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I've seen a lot of tips - drink lots of water and moisturize. I am personally down 128lbs and I have A LOT of loose skin. Does it bother me? A little bit. But I would MUCH rather have loose skin than be over 300lbs. I would have a game plan for skin surgery if it bothers you much.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Loose skin will come down to a few factors. How fast you lose (faster weight loss doesn't give your skin time to adapt), age, genetics, how long you've been overweight, and well you get the point. It can tighten up some on it's own, but that process can take up to 2 years into maintenance.

I have some loose skin, but that's to be expected with losing 130+ lbs. Mine is low enough though that my pants hide it.

These were taken at the beginning of Dec and I have the front of my skirt rolled down so you can see the loose skin.
    qph1ehhy1flp.jpg
    nniyaengnc8s.jpg

I'm currently trying to find my maintenance level calories.
  • RNZLR44
    RNZLR44 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help with that as well as cardio.
  • semordnilap
    semordnilap Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Loose skin will come down to a few factors. How fast you lose (faster weight loss doesn't give your skin time to adapt), age, genetics, how long you've been overweight, and well you get the point. It can tighten up some on it's own, but that process can take up to 2 years into maintenance.

I have some loose skin, but that's to be expected with losing 130+ lbs. Mine is low enough though that my pants hide it.

These were taken at the beginning of Dec and I have the front of my skirt rolled down so you can see the loose skin.
    qph1ehhy1flp.jpg
    nniyaengnc8s.jpg

WOW. Your pictures give me so much hope. I carried most of my fat around my belly button and I still have over 50lbs to lose. I have this crazy pooch that bums me out daily. If my stomach looks anything like yours when I'm done I will be one happy person. You look great and awesome job on your loss!
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

qph1ehhy1flp.jpg
    nniyaengnc8s.jpg

^ that's awesome... for losing so much, it's like a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being worst)--and has the potential of even getting better... u can use a dermaroller (google it) too (it hurts a little tho--i use it for my acne scars)--but over time with consistent use, it builds collagen and tightens things... i'm almost 30/male and went from 250 to 180...and i have a bit around my belly button... nothing to worry about.. just continue using a scrub in the shower, drinking water, strength-training and rubbing super cheap cocoa butter/vitamin e/stri-vectin (expensive tho) into your skin (wearing a tight shirt at night helps to if not too uncomfortable) and giving it patience and time after you reach your desired weight... most of this is genetics and age... being taller helps.. also, i noticed that when i was at my heaviest, my fat was evenly distributed and i have a wider frame as well-- that kinda helps too...and remember having a bit of extra skin no one will ever really notice or see (especially in areas that are concealed with clothing, etc) is better than spending thousands and getting long scars
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    double quote
  • sdolan91
    Options

qph1ehhy1flp.jpg
    nniyaengnc8s.jpg

qph1ehhy1flp.jpg
    WOW! You look amazing!##

Thank you all for your responses guys! I will definitely keep them in mind!
    Had no idea water would help! I drink it constantly to try to distract me from eating everything I want! Lol.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I would say as you're starting out is to focus on your weight loss and developing healthy habits rather than putting a lot of energy into loose skin. Like others said, there are different factors involved in how much extra skin you have but they're largely out of your control. Weight loss, eating healthily and exercising are hard enough without adding another thing to stress over! Loose skin may be inevitable but worry about that when the time comes. Good luck!
  • sdolan91
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    The biggest thing I would say as you're starting out is to focus on your weight loss and developing healthy habits rather than putting a lot of energy into loose skin. Like others said, there are different factors involved in how much extra skin you have but they're largely out of your control. Weight loss, eating healthily and exercising are hard enough without adding another thing to stress over! Loose skin may be inevitable but worry about that when the time comes. Good luck!

Well that sucks :(
    Oh well. I want to be skinny and healthy. I guess it's something I'll have to deal with when I get there..
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This is where putting too much stock into social beauty is a problem. I am glad you want to be healthier, but you should never have to worry about how the loose skin will look vs. living a longer, healthier life. Loose skin will never hold you back from running a marathon or climbing a mountain or looking beautiful. Loose skin will only hold you back if you let it. If you have a BF/SO who doesn't like it, they don't deserve you.

Take care of yourself and let that skin do what it's gonna do.
  • sdolan91
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    This is where putting too much stock into social beauty is a problem. I am glad you want to be healthier, but you should never have to worry about how the loose skin will look vs. living a longer, healthier life. Loose skin will never hold you back from running a marathon or climbing a mountain or looking beautiful. Loose skin will only hold you back if you let it. If you have a BF/SO who doesn't like it, they don't deserve you.

Take care of yourself and let that skin do what it's gonna do.

Thanks! I am trying! I gues I really shouldn't worry about it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    http://imperfectlife.net/ilovemyuglybody/ great video on loose skin/self esteem
    Accept it or surgery to remove it. Lotion is not going to magically make loose skin disappear off our bodies. It's a moisturizer but that's all it's intended to be.

Rather be healthy than worry about loose skin.... eat healthy, drink plenty of water, keep your workouts up and build up that self esteem or save the money for surgery.
  • sdolan91
    Options
    http://imperfectlife.net/ilovemyuglybody/ great video on loose skin/self esteem
    Accept it or surgery to remove it. Lotion is not going to magically make loose skin disappear off our bodies. It's a moisturizer but that's all it's intended to be.

Rather be healthy than worry about loose skin.... eat healthy, drink plenty of water, keep your workouts up and build up that self esteem or save the money for surgery.

Very inspiring. She's so beautiful!
    I hope to be as comfortable one day, I absolutely don't want surgery.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I lost 50 lbs at 17 yro I did not have loose skin, actually my stomach looked fantastic. However, I'm 27 yro now and noticing slight loose skin even with only a 20lb weight loss. Guess it depends on your age and how long you have been overweight, genetics, how fast you gained the weight etc. Lotion and water is not going to help loose skin but I do recommend losing slowly and letting your skin slowly snap back- always good to moisturize anyways :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lose it slow. Drink plenty of water. Exercise. Carried mine for about 3 decades. I consider myself very lucky and have no complaints. I consider what little excess I have my badge of courage, lol. Working on firming and toning now that I'm at maintenance.
    3ut45s0dgtvc.png
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    The biggest thing I would say as you're starting out is to focus on your weight loss and developing healthy habits rather than putting a lot of energy into loose skin.

I very much agree with this, first things first and one thing at a time.

Having said that, I highly recommend strength training and stretching for toning which will help with loose skin. Incorporating it into your cardio routine will surely help. My faves for this is kettlebells and yoga exercises, but find what's best for you.

All exercises on this page are awesome and bound to massively help with the tummy area:
    http://yogaposes-onlinereviews.rhcloud.com/yoga-exercises-for-tummy-toning/

Good luck!