Maybe Sugar IS the Devil - US Goverment Diet Recommendations

Options

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/07/federal-dietary-guidelines/77151060/

From the article:

"The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends limiting the amount of added sugars in our diet to no more than 10% of daily calories. That's about 12 teaspoons of sugar a day. To put that in perspective, a can of Coke contains nearly 10 teaspoons.

Most of us would have to make big changes in our diets to follow the new guidelines.

Americans on average get about 13% of daily calories from added sugars; teens get closer to 17% of calories from added sugars, according to the new report. The natural sugar in foods such as raisins, apples or milk are not considered added sugars.

Nearly half of the added sugars in American diets come from sweetened beverages, such as sodas and sports drinks, according to the guidelines, published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services."

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    This is really nothing new. Sugar isn't the debil....TOO much sugar is.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    This is really nothing new. Sugar isn't the debil....TOO much sugar is.

^ Yup I agree.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Not shocking.

Nothing inherently evil about sugar, but getting too many of your calories from added sugars means you're not getting enough of them from foods that also have other vital nutrients.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't trust USA Today or the government.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good! Way overdo!!!!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/07/federal-dietary-guidelines/77151060/

From the article:

"The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends limiting the amount of added sugars in our diet to no more than 10% of daily calories. That's about 12 teaspoons of sugar a day. To put that in perspective, a can of Coke contains nearly 10 teaspoons.

Most of us would have to make big changes in our diets to follow the new guidelines.

Americans on average get about 13% of daily calories from added sugars; teens get closer to 17% of calories from added sugars, according to the new report. The natural sugar in foods such as raisins, apples or milk are not considered added sugars.

Nearly half of the added sugars in American diets come from sweetened beverages, such as sodas and sports drinks, according to the guidelines, published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services."

So I crunched some numbers...

A tsp of sugar has ~15 calories. According to the article, 12 tsp of added sugar a day is the recommendation (ie - 180 calories). That's supposed to represent 10% of the diet; ergo the assumption is a diet of 1800 calories.

I wonder what percent of people eating SAD limit themselves to 1800 calories? My guess is not many.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    And here we go...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Surely just cutting or substituting one can of Coke a day would put people well under the guideline?
    Wouldn't call that a big change in diet.

As usual a journalist has to put a spin on things to make a headline.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If sugar was "the devil", shouldn't the recommendation be for 0% sugar in any form?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I like the devil. Ergo I like sugar.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Surely just cutting or substituting one can of Coke a day would put people well under the guideline?
    Wouldn't call that a big change in diet.

As usual a journalist has to put a spin on things to make a headline.

Not even that...

The article indicates that currently 13% of an average person's diet comes from added sugar.

Assuming that to be true, and using the article's assumption I calculated above of a 1800 calorie diet, that means going from 234 calories from added sugar to the recommended 180 - a reduction of 54 calories or about 3-4 tsp.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    If sugar was "the devil", shouldn't the recommendation be for 0% sugar in any form?

Only if Jesus is making the new guidelines........ :trollface:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure sugar is still NOT the devil.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Not shocking.

Nothing inherently evil about sugar, but getting too many of your calories from added sugars means you're not getting enough of them from foods that also have other vital nutrients.

^This.

The recommendations don't mean sugar is the devil. It means sugar contains many calories. It means foods with many calories often contain sugar. Many in the US are overweight, this is because of too many calories. Ergo, by trying to make people limit sugar, they think they'll help people limit calories.
    What they don't seem to understand is that many obese/overweight people simply won't care for new recommendations.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Does that make God a cauliflower?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Not shocking.

^This.

The recommendations don't mean sugar is the devil. It means sugar contains many calories. It means foods with many calories often contain sugar. Many in the US are overweight, this is because of too many calories. Ergo, by trying to make people limit sugar, they think they'll help people limit calories.
    What they don't seem to understand is that many obese/overweight people simply won't care for new recommendations.

You mean the general populace doesn't base their daily diet on the recommendations of a government bureaucracy?!?!?!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nope, nope, nope, over consuming calories is what is the devil. YOu can eat limited sugar and be obese; conversely, you can eat added sugar as part of an overall healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight.

sugar has nothing to do with it, and should only be avoided in instances where one has a medical condition.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    NO, just NO.
    You need sugar.
    Moderation in all things.
    Overindulging in any food can be bad for you.

In all fairness, cutting out, or at the very least cutting back, on sugary drinks, and that includes juice, is probably not a bad idea, but trying to cut out all sugar, is a bad idea, and not possible or even healthy.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Pretty sure sugar is still NOT the devil.

The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing people he was sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

We don't have to be saints all the time! 10% sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I doubt I exceed that very often.