Good workout clothes on a college budget?

Options
We all know being a college student isn't easy, especially when it comes to money. So I'm wondering- does anybody have any good workout clothes/ running shoes that they know of that can fit into a very, very tight budget? I've bought some danskin "running" shorts from walmart for $7, and absolutely love them. Is there anything else I should try out?

And I know good running shoes are an investment, so I'm willing to put in $100-150 for some good ones. Do you guys recommend any?

Replies

• FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Another big investment: work out bra. I have a high impact Moving Comfort Bra that I bought off of Amazon (on sale with free shipping) for $28. It has made my life SO much easier. No more aching boobs or shoulders after ANY work out. I can run, do Zumba, jumping jacks---whatever.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Old navy has some fair prices workout clothes that I love. I'm not sure if you have a store called Garage anywhere near you, but they have $7 tank tops, theyre just cotton racerbacks and I LOVE them to workout in, sleep in, sit around the house in...theyre overall wonderful in my opinion.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    I agree, get a good sports bra! - very important...As for shoes, you really can get a great pair from $50 - 80...don't feel like you have to spend over $100, it's not necessary unless you have a special consideration
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ebay is a good place to shop for used running stuff. Also I have bought a few pairs of new running shorts for 50% off the retail price on ebay.
  • amohon
    amohon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Walmart workout stuff. I work there and like FabCheeky a workout bra is a great investment. I got one at WalMart for about 15 or so. I am also a full time student and work part time so i know what a tight budget is. the have all kinds so shop around
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I get my workout clothes at goodwill or the salvation army. I hate the idea of spending a lot of money on workout clothes that aren't going to fit in 2 months.
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    I got several of my workout clothes from K-Mart and Target... a nice shirt, some pants, some shorts, etc. As for running shoes, I would try an actual running store. :) They'll look at your feet and see how you walk/run and can fit you for something that will work with your feet. It's a good thing to consider! And what you are willing to put in for them, is about how much they can be... so might as well get some great ones! Good luck!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend a ton on shoes unless you are actually going to be running.....I swear by Nike and Under Armour clothing and shoes, but I would say anything that fits and is comfortable to work out in would work!! check those clearance racks and Big 5 or Sports Authority, you will be surprised what you can scoop up for next to nothing!
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like walmart,modells and fashion bug for my workout gear
  • bluebelle00
    Options
    Walmart is a good place to start. :) Kmart/Target/Kohl's would have similar items, and usually have good sales. Also check out sales/clearance at sporting goods stores like D!cks's or Dunham's. Don't have much in the way of shoe suggestions (I'm not a runner.) When I was more active playing sports, I always liked Asics brand.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Goodwill or any thrift store (they are everywhere now) has some GREAT workout clothes. Just make sure you wash them before you use them. For shoes, if you are using them for running, go to an actual running store where they can measure your pronation, gait, etc so you can get the right type of running shoes. Most people don't realize that people don't have the same feet as everyone else does. And for bras, I just buy some from walmart and they work great...they are cotton and maybe 10 for three.
  • RoseCoreling
    RoseCoreling Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm in LOVE with my running shoes..love love love!!! I have the Livestrong Nike Air shoes (here's the link) and they are fantastic. I actually got them at our Nike outlet for only $75
    http://www.runningexpo.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=946
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to buy expensive stuff for working out, but now I spend more of my money on good shoes and socks. I agree with most everyone that Walmart, Target and I like Kohls TekGear brand too, are great buys.

For shoes, I found that a lot of the shoes I have gotten, are on Overstock.com. They have my $120 pair of shoes on there for $60. You can always go get fitted, write down the styles and sizes you like and check online. Running warehouse is great too for shoes. That will give you the option to buy 2 pairs maybe than just one, as with running and high impact exercise you should replace your shoes every 200-300 miles.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of JC Penney for their workout capries. I think the brand is Xersion. It's a nice thick nylon material so you can't see all the bumps on your butt/thighs (me anyway!). I feel comfortable running in them and they are usually on sale for $20 or less. I get coupons all the time too so I try to wait until I can get them as cheap as possible.

For me, I spent money on good, breathable socks too. It's amazing how much better I feel when my feet are comfy!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I love goodwill and other resale shops.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Early on, when I needed everything, I bought a lot of workout clothes at Wal-Mart, and I still occasionally wear some of the Starter brand stuff. As I could I added nicer pieces, Asics, Nike, and Under Armor, and they are worth the additional money for enhanced breathability and better quality equals longer life. Runners World did an article a while back on inexpensive workout clothes; you might find the article at their site online.

As for shoes, you are correct in being willing to spend more here, but $150 is probably more than necessary. Shoes are not the place to save money, but you can waste money there too. Please go to a running shoe specialty store and get a proper fitting. They can assess your running style and match you to shoes that fit your needs (stability, motion control, neutral, etc.) It needs to fit you well and feel good but that is not enough - you really need a professional assessment of your running needs. Making the wrong choice could derail you before you even start. Good luck!
  • stephgreene
    stephgreene Posts: 143
    Options
    If there are good outlet stores near you, then check those out. I'm fortunate enough to live close to an Underarmour outlet and a Champion outlet. When I went to Champion I was able to get 6 bras for $70... Not a bad deal.

Also, check out the sale racks in Target, Marshalls, ****'s, and Amazon. I've had luck in all those stores getting some decent stuff for pretty cheap prices.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Costco nearby or know anyone with a membership, but they nearly always have nice work out clothes for really cheap. The last few times I've gone, they have had really nice work out capris for about $13, nice work out tanks by brands like Adidas and such for maybe $7...I love it!
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    You can definitely get a good pair of running shoes for under $100. Mine were $90, and I lovelovelove em. That said, don't look for a bargain, hell don't look at price at all until you have picked the shoe that fits you the best so you don't trick yourself into thinking that the less expensive shoe is "better" even though it isnt. I also reccommend some non-cotton running socks..they are pricey for socks, but I have found them to be helpful for avoiding blisters.

As for reccomendations for shoes, no one can do that for you. there are a jillion good shoes out there, but this is about your feet, not mine or anyone elses. Go to a running store and get fitted. Best thing you can do.

As for other clothes, I have gotten some stuff at target that is fine, and every once in awhile I run into a clearance rack of Adidas or Nike at Costco and I will pick up something. And now that I have signed up for some races, I am getting some nice shirts as part of the entry package. Not the cheapest route per se, but signing up for events is nice motivation and getting some goodies out of it makes the $40-50 entry much more bearable.
  • phillyrain
    phillyrain Posts: 19
    Options
    you can get good running shoes surprisingly at DSW, i got my asics there for 50 dollars and they are my favorite running shoes so far!