Food Pushers

Options
2»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Do people who won't take "no, thank you" for an answer actually exist? (other than grandmothers)
    Good point. People do not usually care one way or another unless food is usually one of your topics of conversation.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do people who won't take "no, thank you" for an answer actually exist? (other than grandmothers)

Oh yes indeed they do! Some people become very offended if you won't eat what they offer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "That was delicious, but no thanks, I'm good"
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Yes. For example, I have a boyfriend who takes it as a challenge when I turn down tasty things. He thinks he's being nice by reassuring me I look fine and should share something sweet with him... I also have several sisters who will continue pushing if I say "no, thank you."
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I have to deal with it each time I visit my parents. I have to tell my stepdad no about 5 times (each time with increasing volume) before he gets off my case about getting a second plate of food.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I start with "No, thank you," but I often follow up by changing the subject to what they really want to talk about, which is how good their cooking is. It helps if I've had at least one bite. Lots of "Wow, that was unbelievably tasty. How did you cook it? Tell me every detail. Wow, you're amazing. One bite of that is better than a whole plateful of [whatever]." (And I'm not being snarky, it's really true.) Or it could be that what they really want to talk about is "Are you going to turn into a different person who makes me feel we can't have anything in common about food any more?" or "Are you going to change physically so that I feel uncomfortable in comparison with you?" If it's something you can't address directly, or you don't know them well enough to get into it, you just have to stick with an unshakeably pleasant, "No, thank you," to be repeated as necessary. Miss Manners gives great advice about how to say "No, thank you" to invitations of all kinds, and make it stick. For one thing, never, ever, explain or justify yourself, or they'll just keep arguing with you. Change the subject to anything else, including the weather.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes.

I had a really good friend in grad school who was insistent that I try a beer she was drinking. She knew I don't like the taste of beer (if it's not lambic) and this was lousy, cheap Fat Tire. She must have asked me twenty times - 'Do you want a sip? Have a sip. Come on, just taste it!' ... and on, and on.

I went from 'No, thanks', to 'You know I don't like beer. I really don't want any.', to (at the very end) 'Look, Andrea, get the f- out of my face, I said I didn't f'ing want any of your g*****n beer!'

And I'll mention that I don't hardly curse at all now. I did it even less, then.

She didn't speak to me for days. I wasn't sorry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Yes. For example, I have a boyfriend who takes it as a challenge when I turn down tasty things. He thinks he's being nice by reassuring me I look fine and should share something sweet with him... I also have several sisters who will continue pushing if I say "no, thank you."

Unless you fear they will get physically violent if you refuse food then just keep saying no firmly. If they do get violent or abusive over food then consider getting those people out of your life.
  • jmh_90
    jmh_90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just tell people I don't like things. "Do you want a cupcake?" "No I hate cupcakes." "Do you want some pizza?" "No I hate pizza." "Do you want some macadamia nuts? "No I hate macadamia nuts." People around me must think I hate life but no one offers me ANYTHING anymore. ha-ha

*Edit to add- I really do hate chocolate yet people don't believe me on that one.
    Hahahaha omg that killed me
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Where I'm from, a host of hostess with good manners will offer you food three times. This is because many people will refuse the first odder or two out of politeness (they don't want to burden their host). So if food is offered three times, you know that they sincerely want to offer it and are not feeling obligated. After three refusals they will drop the matter. However it's also considered polite to take the offer up, "just a little". This is because the offered for was usually prepared specifically in anticipation of the guest's arrival. I just leave room in my daily allotment for a treat if I'm visiting someone because I don't wish to refuse their hospitality and thereby insult them.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My MIL is the worst. She does it to me, H, and the grandkids. She pretty much loves my kids because they will hoover up anything she puts in front of them. I am firm with her if I don't want any. First, "No thank you". Then, I get borderline rude, and that does the trick "I ALREADY SAID NO, WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME AGAIN" in a annoyed/mad/firm/you are being so rude tone of voice. Then she stops. H will not be firm with her and she will just badger and badger and badger until he leaves the room. Niece and her have huge power struggles. Niece wins, because 4 year olds are smart like that, but MIL will waste an hour trying to order and cajole niece into eating when she clearly doesn't want to.

So yes, these people definitely exist. But if you are firm and consistent they will learn quick no to bother.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've had to sit my boyfriend down and have a little heart-to-heart about it - "I know you're just trying to make me happy - and it's fine to offer me sweets or other goodies - but if I say no, you need to accept it. It's stressful for me and just rude to keep pushing when I've clearly said 'no' to something." Since I had that talk with him, it has helped, but sometimes he kind of backslides.

I'd go with the theory of taking a bite or two just to please the person offering ... but I see some of these people often, and it would end up being hundreds of extra calories if I did that. And I have a tendency to backslide when I eat too much sweets/treats.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    xez791acnv9l.jpg
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I live in Ireland - it's full of "Mrs Doyle" types- go on, go on, go on, go on..., just say NO!
  • BeckyBelnap2
    BeckyBelnap2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Food = Love. A lot of us were raised with it and have the waistlines to prove it. My mom makes my favorite treat to prove that she thought of me and loves me. I eat it to show that I love her and realize that she thought of me. Crazy, but that is the underlying emotion behind why mom wouldn't take no for an answer.

We finally talked about the unspoken reasons behind the food pushing and things are a lot better. If you are going to turn down their food, you do need to figure out a different way to let them give and receive your love. Mom and I go for half hour walks now. It helps.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I really wonder if it's a regional thing. I have never in my entire life had anyone keep trying to get me to eat something after I'd told them I didn't want any - except for my actual grandmother, who never tried it again after I demanded that she explain in detail exactly how my cleaning my plate was helping starving children in Foreign Parts, and whether it wasn't in fact worse on them for American kids to be eating more of the world's food supply than they even wanted.

So I don't know where all these food pushers come from that other people seem to encounter constantly. I think if I ever met one I'd be so stunned at their rudeness that I wouldn't even know how to answer them.