Anyone on Keto lifestyle

Options
I am try o try this keto lifestyle need help

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Yes, I am on keto. Have been for close to 3 months now.

I have lost 20 pounds so far, with 15 of it being on keto.

What did you need help with?
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Went from about 360 to 280 on keto, but don't think I could maintain it as a lifestyle. My experience is the there are no convenience foods, and where I live it is near impossible to eat out, so it also hurt my social life. Granted those 2 reasons are probably a big part of why I lost so much with it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I agree, keto convenience foods are a little more difficult to find.

It involves a lot of preparation (for me, anyways).

If you *are* looking for convenience foods, pepperoni sticks or deli meat is usually a good way to go. Just read the carb count per serving on the package, but a lot of stuff is only 1g of carb per serving.

As for eating out, yeah...I guess it depends on where you live. But ruled.me has a great guide on keto friendly fast food items, but the general idea is 'burger without the bun and ketchup'.

I pack my lunch and snacks for work everyday, because where I work - there is only a Tim Hortons and I can't have anything from there except for coffee.

Remember that keto is a high-fat, moderate protein, low-carb diet. So adding in a bit of mayo into a can of tuna, or sauteing spinach in avocado oil or butter is a good way to get those fats in.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    The Low Carber Daily has quite a few keto'ers who don't ome to the main boards often. It is a good place to go for support and more info.
  • latashatristen
    latashatristen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out is 20 grams and below a must..
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

You can eat more than 20g of carbs and still be in ketosis. Low carb diets work because people spontaneously eat less which creates a deficit -- even though it feels like you eat a lot of really indulgent, high calorie foods that leave you full and satisfied you're eating less total calories a day and you lose weight. That's the magic, IMO.

If you're not counting calories and relying solely on low carb it's extremely important to get the appetite reducing effects of the diet and 20g is perfect for that.

If you're counting calories in addition to lowering carbs feel free to experiment with your carb levels. That way you'll be able to objectively see how many calories you're eating and avoid any problems. Personally, I eat somewhere around 50g carbs total and am in ketosis more often than not. But I also rely on good eating habits (like no snacking) to avoid overeating in addition to a low carb diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

More active people can go higher especially if the et their carbs around long intense exercise. It is possible to eat well over a hundred g of carbs around a many hour workout and stay in ketosis.