Free weights v machines

Options
2»

Replies

• elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    If you exercise using a machine, you use just the muscles needed for that individual move -- doing the same thing with free weights you will need to use more muscles to balance and control the weights that the machine is doing for you -- using free weights is therefore considered superior as if will build a group of muscles with each lift.

The automatic answer you’ll usually hear is the “free weights vs. machines” debate is that free weights are superior and should form the underlying basis of your overall workout program.

While free weights typically will make up the majority of your training routine, it’s not exactly accurate to say that one tool is “better” than the other, as they both have their own unique advantages and uses.

As I said earlier, the main reason why free weights are generally recommended over machines is because they allow you to move through a more natural range of motion. Therefore reducing the risk your chances of injury since your body is not stuck on a fixed plane of movement.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    If you exercise using a machine, you use just the muscles needed for that individual move -- doing the same thing with free weights you will need to use more muscles to balance and control the weights that the machine is doing for you -- using free weights is therefore considered superior as if will build a group of muscles with each lift.

The automatic answer you’ll usually hear is the “free weights vs. machines” debate is that free weights are superior and should form the underlying basis of your overall workout program.

While free weights typically will make up the majority of your training routine, it’s not exactly accurate to say that one tool is “better” than the other, as they both have their own unique advantages and uses.

As I said earlier, the main reason why free weights are generally recommended over machines is because they allow you to move through a more natural range of motion. Therefore reducing the risk your chances of injury since your body is not stuck on a fixed plane of movement.

I died when some guy at the gym was saying that smith machine squats were safer for the knees than free weight when he was giving a gym tour to his friends.

My face was like T_T
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    krispon3 wrote: »
    With Free weights, I always have fear of not doing right and getting injured in the back or other sensitive muscles.WIth machines, it is isolated ,targeted and more safe.

Am I right on this?

You can most definitely hurt yourself just as much on a machine. I think I remember reading that free weights get less injuries than machines even, but don't quote me on that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With Free weights, I always have fear of not doing right and getting injured in the back or other sensitive muscles.WIth machines, it is isolated ,targeted and more safe.

Am I right on this?

You can most definitely hurt yourself just as much on a machine. I think I remember reading that free weights get less injuries than machines even, but don't quote me on that.

I would believe that as many machines "force" a specific path which might not align to your own physiology.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, there are benefits to both. And at some point, you will run into limitations with free weights due to grip strength or lack of equipment.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Absolutely benefits to both. If properly trained how, I would suggest using compound movements with free weights, learning other isolation movements with free weights, and also incorporating some machine isolation movements like the quad extension, hamstring curl, and preacher curl machines. If you run into issues where a machine doesn't align with your physiology, research similar movements using free weights and try that route. Always practice good form and don't do things that cause a lot of pain. There's always an alternative movement, I promise.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    There are some great posts by very knowledgable lifters here. As mentioned both will work but the biggest benefit of free weights is that you create a much larger systemic load than possible with machines and these help develop deep core as well as assisting stabalizer muscles and skeletal integrety. As far as bulking up the primary movers I don't believe there is any solid evidence that one actually works more than the other when used in conjunction with a proper training program. I've certainly seen body builders who use machines primarily and sport impressive builds.

I'm a free weight enthusist because of all the great benefits and versitility of free weights in all forms (barbells, dumbells, kettlebells etc) but sometimes I do like using machines and find they give me ways to hit certain muscle groups in a way that is difficult using free weights. Cables in particular are effective at keeping maximum resistance thoughout an exercise, and this often is not the case with their free weight counter parts (e.g. curls).

In the end you need to decide what you are looking for in a training program and then you can determine the proper tools you need to achieve your goals.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    There are some great posts by very knowledgable lifters here. As mentioned both will work but the biggest benefit of free weights is that you create a much larger systemic load than possible with machines and these help develop deep core as well as assisting stabalizer muscles and skeletal integrety. As far as bulking up the primary movers I don't believe there is any solid evidence that one actually works more than the other when used in conjunction with a proper training program. I've certainly seen body builders who use machines primarily and sport impressive builds.

I'm a free weight enthusist because of all the great benefits and versitility of free weights in all forms (barbells, dumbells, kettlebells etc) but sometimes I do like using machines and find they give me ways to hit certain muscle groups in a way that is difficult using free weights. Cables in particular are effective at keeping maximum resistance thoughout an exercise, and this often is not the case with their free weight counter parts (e.g. curls).

In the end you need to decide what you are looking for in a training program and then you can determine the proper tools you need to achieve your goals.

Great post as always!!!! Co-sign +100
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Am I right on this?

Make sure to learn and practice the proper form for all of your exercises first before applying any significant weight or intensity.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use free weights for my primary work and machines for isolation and other assistance work as applicable. Free weights really should be the foundation of your routine.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Am I right on this?

It is targeted to what the manufacturer believes is an ideal body shape and movement should be, but that might not necessarily be YOUR ideal movement. Also take something simple like a bicep curl, machine will totally isolate you so its JUST bicep, a free weight standing bicep curl uses even your feet muscles for balance as well as plenty others.

Again nothing against machines, they serve a purpose. But for the general population nothing beats free weights.
  • jeffo911
    jeffo911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Free weights really focus on stabilization of the muscle, really the only difference in my eyes, but there are more.