I need a protein drink that isn't thick like a shake.

Options

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    vdqc4xlipp29.jpg
    15 grams per bottle.
    I can't personally vouch for how well they taste since I've never tried them (whey protein disagrees with my stomach), but one of my coworkers buys them by the case, so they must not taste too bad.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is to mix it with almond milk. I use either 200mls of coconut or chocolate coconut flavoured almond milk. They both come in really low in calories. If you want it a little thicker, I recommend adding a bit of banana. Start with maybe 50g blended in and either reduce if increase depending on how you like the texture.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great ideas, but I was thinking another option would be adding your protein powder to meals instead of drinking it.

Protein Powder Recipes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whey protein mixed with whatever you do/don't want; Shakeology.

Shakeology is the thickest protein powder I've ever seen...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is pretty watery. Plus then if you add another couple of ounces of water it should be an acceptable texture.
  • Seabring17
    Seabring17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My fiance drinks a protein powder that has minimal extra ingredients, it is like drinking slightly flavored water. He gets it from The Vitamin Shop.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few protein powders. I find ON to be quite thin mixed with milk. I usually just use water, doesn't taste that bad either in water.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored whey protein isolate powder and add it to a bit of grapefruit juice. I use Jay Robb and it mixes really well and isn't thick, but I'm sure there are others out there. I think most of the flavored stuff is going to be thicker because it's made to drink alone.

I've even added my unflavored protein powder to whatever I was already eating for dinner....mashed potatoes, spaghetti sauce, soup, anything I could stir it into... when I didn't have enough calories left for juice to mix it with. I couldn't even taste it, it just absorbed a bit of the moisture that's all.

Unflavored protein is very handy stuff. :smile:
    Thank you I'll look for that.

• Kamnikar64
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    lbkveg wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There's a protein water product out now. I googled it and found all sorts of samples.
    Really, that's great!

In that case, there's this stuff. It's pretty expensive and tastes gross.

slide2.jpg

Why thank you for that disclaimer :) I figure I'll buy one and try it and see. I probably need to do that with several of these suggestions.
  • Kamnikar64
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I love thick protein shakes, so I think I may be able to help. After seeking out the thickest shakes I could, I noticed those with xanthan gum in the ingredients were thicker, and those without it weren't thick at all.
    So there you have it. I can't recommend a good brand, but just look at the ingredients list and put it back if it has xanthan gum! You SHOULD be good then!

Never thought about that, thank you.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I mixed mine with almond milk which is quite a thin, watery consistency
  • Kamnikar64
    Options
    I just checked back on this and all of you were very helpful and have me quite a few options and things to try. I appreciate the help. Lisa
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The Apple-Melon flavor of Isopure Zero carb isn't horrible.
  • robinangemi
    robinangemi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein powder to meals! Why didn't I think of that before? I hate the shakes to the point that I have to drink them over the sink to catch my gag reflex. I am going to do that from now on. Thanks to whoever suggested it. Sometimes it is good to point out the obvious.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yup. I was going to suggest Isopure too. I found it at a local organic/health store. It was ok, but has a weird bitter/sour/kinda gritty taste to it.
  • reikime
    reikime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the Jay Robb egg white protein in vanilla and chocolate, it is not thick at all- and I mix it with unsweetened almond milk.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Make it with water, not milk.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Add more water. That is all.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ON is pretty thin when mixed with water.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Also, don't mix in a blender. Use a shaker bottle or the like. A blender with thicken and froth up most protein powders...especially those with thickening agents (xantham gum, carageenan).

I find Jay Robb to be almost unpleasantly thin and Atkins are the consistency of milk.