Options
2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    The New York Times has an interview today with David Ludwig, a well-respected nutrition researcher from Harvard. He says that HCLF messes with your hormones and causes you to be more hungry. That why people who lose weight put it back on.

Here's a link to the article, in case anyone else was interested: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/rethinking-weight-loss-and-the-reasons-were-always-hungry/?_r=0

Q. What is the basic message of your book?

A. The basic premise is that overeating doesn’t make you fat.

Full stop. That right there should cause any thinking person to completely discount that idiot as a complete quack.

I'm curious to know what he thinks the body DOES with excess calories if they don't cause you to gain weight.

Flatulence
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love to eat high carb and I am not any more hungry than when I was overeating and gained/maintained my obese body. I find that I don't enjoy many fatty foods because of the calorie count... I'll rather eat a bigger amount of something low fat, but that's just my preference.
  • Mehitabel25
    Mehitabel25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, proteins are more satiating and help me curb the hunger pangs and resist over-eating (I believe studies have found as much). That's why I tend to tilt toward higher protein. Give me a scrambled egg breakfast and I can go longer than with toast or oatmeal or a croissant. So those protein calories aren't fewer calories -- they are not different, magical, 'no count' calories, they count just the same -- but they seem to help me ingest fewer extra calories later on in the day.
    (Alcohol calories, meanwhile, do the opposite. They release the inhibitions and make me think: 'what the hey - I want those potato chips, damn the torpedoes, screw tomorrow'. )

So yes, of course, CICO -- but there's the self control satiety angle that affects CI and is very important too. It am willing to imagine it is fairly individual.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I tend to eat high carb, moderately high fat, and lower protein. It's not intentional, per se, just that most protein sources I eat have high carb counts (ie beans), or higher fat counts (ie eggs). Hasn't been problematic for weight loss. When I first came to MFP I was so worried the higher carbs would prevent me from losing weight because I was an "endomorph." Yeah, it really was broscience, THANK GOD!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I've noticed a mounting body of evidence that eating more than one burns makes one gain fat, regardless of the macronutrients involved.

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows the body needs a moderate amount of fats for healthy function (joint health, hormone production, etc.).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that sufficient protein intake is key for maintaining/building lean body mass (aka desired body composition).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that carbs aren't the devil, despite what mainstream media and popular fads would tell you.

Eat all the macros!!!

Can I eat my macros and yours too? I'm really hungry today. #kthx
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, yes.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I've noticed a mounting body of evidence that eating more than one burns makes one gain fat, regardless of the macronutrients involved.

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows the body needs a moderate amount of fats for healthy function (joint health, hormone production, etc.).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that sufficient protein intake is key for maintaining/building lean body mass (aka desired body composition).

I've also noticed a mounting body of evidence that shows that carbs aren't the devil, despite what mainstream media and popular fads would tell you.

Eat all the macros!!!

Can I eat my macros and yours too? I'm really hungry today. #kthx

Should've asked yesterday. Today is back day which means deadlifts and lots of other assorted heavy pulls which means "touch my food and I'll cut you."
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    The New York Times has an interview today with David Ludwig, a well-respected nutrition researcher from Harvard. He says that HCLF messes with your hormones and causes you to be more hungry. That why people who lose weight put it back on.

Not well respected among people that actually follow well reasoned diet science.