Green tea

Options

Replies

• jaynizat
    jaynizat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also like nettle tea, when it was first mentioned to me, I was a bit unsure, but it is very nice. I also drink lots of fruit teas, but I haven't checked yet what the calories are in them.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jaynizat wrote: »
    I did ask what she meant. I was told I'm not drinking enough, and my kidneys need flushing out more. She told me to avoid tea ( normal tea that is) and coffee, and to try to drink more water, she added on that green tea would help to flushout.

If she literally said that green tea would help flush you out.... I'd find another nurse.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    jaynizat wrote: »
    I've not tried Asian green tea. I'm not keen on earl grey green tea. But the rest I love. I do actually find the flavoured ones quite refreshing. I hope you enjoy all of them!

:D Earl grey green tea is the only green I like! Funny how people's taste differ.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    Yes it certainly is odd how peoples taste differ, but what a strange world it would be if we were all alike☺
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love tea in all of its forms. I drink it because I like the taste, much more so than coffee. I may be weird, but I like my tea unflavored, which sometimes makes it difficult to find a straight green tea. Right now I am drinking a green tea with jasmine, which gives the tea a floral taste.

If you don't like the taste of greens (too bitter?) and are looking for a tea with small amounts of caffeine, try a white tea. It is much more mild in taste. I think it has lower levels of caffeine as well, but I may be wrong on that. Both Bigelow and Twinings make a white tea, so you should be able to find it in most supermarkets.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with borderline kidney issues (EGFR just under 60) and my doctor told me to stay away from all NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofin, naproxin, etc) and drink more fluids, it is the fluids that flush the kidneys, not the caffeine in tea.

Having said that, I love all tea, including green. It is a good low calorie beverage (depending on what you put in it) that can be more satisfying than water to drink. I am partial to jasmine tea (either green or white). Any other flavored teas (mint, Earl Grey, etc) I prefer black.

BTW: my last labs put my EGFR at close to 90
  • cindybgood
    cindybgood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe try "Matcha" tea (google it)...many health benefits and one cup of Matcha has the antioxidant equivalent of 10 cups of regular green tea. Excellent boost for the metabolism. Tastes kinda yucky on it's own, but if you make it into a Matcha latte (i add almond milk and honey) it is quite delicious:)
  • angella_jacobs93
    angella_jacobs93 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do not love it but I have been drinking Bigelow Green Tea for the health benefits, which I believe are enormous. I have tried to make this my coffee substitute (I uses way to much french vanilla creamer) It is growing on me...I drink it with an orange or I put in a lemon wedge which I think makes it better. It has become a part of my daily routine. I think you can learn to like somethings if you stick with it long enough.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cindybgood wrote: »
    Maybe try "Matcha" tea (google it)...many health benefits and one cup of Matcha has the antioxidant equivalent of 10 cups of regular green tea. Excellent boost for the metabolism. Tastes kinda yucky on it's own, but if you make it into a Matcha latte (i add almond milk and honey) it is quite delicious:)

Tea, matcha (which is gross) or otherwise does not boost metabolism with the exception of a teensy-weensy one from the caffeine.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i like green tea. i like the neutral taste, as long as it's not too concentrated. helps me curb my appetite. i don't count it as calories (drink it plain). jasmine tea is my favorite though.
  • jaynizat
    Options
    It is true that you do get used to things if you stick with them for a while. It took me a while 'getting into' green tea, but now I enjoy them. I also drink them quite weak..otherwise they can be a bit bitter.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Earl grey green tea is the only green I like! Funny how people's taste differ.

I tried once earl grey green tea, Twinnings brand. Awful. Had to throw it away after 2 gulps. I'd stick with my usual plain japanese green tea.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    cindybgood wrote: »

This is untrue
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The hematocrit tic life institute and raw food world web sites say it can reduce toxins in the blood stream for dialysis patents. However can block absorption of iron. One to two cups a day is fine but more than four a day can be damaging to liver and cause toxicity. It is good to rotate the tea by taking a break every six weeks. It appears to have antioxidant qualities and help kidney function in moderation. Just google green tea kidney and you will get a lot of info. It also helps if you have kidney stones and oxalates in the blood to prevent formations by reducing oxalates in the blood. So yes in a term it is detoxifying!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The hematocrit tic life institute and raw food world web sites say it can reduce toxins in the blood stream for dialysis patents. However can block absorption of iron. One to two cups a day is fine but more than four a day can be damaging to liver and cause toxicity. It is good to rotate the tea by taking a break every six weeks. It appears to have antioxidant qualities and help kidney function in moderation. Just google green tea kidney and you will get a lot of info. It also helps if you have kidney stones and oxalates in the blood to prevent formations by reducing oxalates in the blood. So yes in a term it is detoxifying!

Yeah, no.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
  • ClimbingZack
    ClimbingZack Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It has a natural diuretic effect, which people seem to mistake for some kind of detox. Detox has just kind of lost any meaning these days, hasn't it?

Actually, green tea is hydrating; very similar to good old H20:

"It was found that tea consumption did not produce a diuretic effect unless the amount of tea consumed at one sitting contained more than 300 mg of caffeine (equivalent to six or seven cups of tea).

This position was confirmed by a study (Scott et al., 2004) that compared regular tea consumers with non-consumers in a crossover study of fluid balance during extreme physiological stress. Participants were members of an expedition at Mount Everest Base Camp. Even when tea was drunk at high altitude, where the risk of dehydration is considerable, there was no evidence that tea produced a diuretic effect when consumed by habitual tea drinkers."

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v61/n1/full/1602489a.html

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol issues? Here's what I think will help more than trying any kind of detox
    First, if you're overweight, losing weight will tend to help. It will particularly help with triglyceride levels and LDL levels, which will lower total cholesterol. Extremely low calorie diets have a tendency to make HDL worse, but you shouldn't be doing one without a doctor's supervision, anyway.
    Second, Exercise will help. There is more evidence for cardio in that realm over strength training, but a little bit of anything is better than a whole lot of nothing. It is particularly strong in helping raise HDL.
    Third, eliminated trans fats to any extent possible. In particular, trans fats from hydrogenated oils are clearly and strongly associated with cholesterol. Natural trans fats occurring in some cheeses and meats are mixed.
    Fourth, reduce saturated fats. The long term evidence of saturated fat in cardiovascular disease and long term cholesterol is a bit of a mixed bag, but there is clear evidence in the short term of it raising cholesterol. The biggest effect it has might be that every calorie of saturated fat is less calories from whole grains, mono unsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fats. If you regularly eat sour cream, a quick substitution is Greek yogurt, replacing saturated fats with protein.
    Fifth, oatmeal, and possibly other unprocessed whole grains with high amounts of soluble fiber. There is evidence that oatmeal binds up bile released by the digestive system, forcing the body to replace it. The key ingredient to make bile is ... cholesterol, so your body has to use it up making new bile.
    Sixth, plant stanols by eating more plants, soy in particular. Stanols are molecules in plants that work similar to cholesterol, so in humans they might trigger receptors that make your body think you have a high amount of cholesterol already, so that it doesn't need to make more.
    Seventh, for low HDL, nuts, seeds, fish, flax, and things that contain omega 3's are noted to have some effects. In some rare instances a lack of some dietary protein might be the culprit.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    I tried once earl grey green tea, Twinnings brand. Awful. Had to throw it away after 2 gulps. I'd stick with my usual plain japanese green tea.

I use Bigelow's earl grey green tea. Hard to find locally for me so usually buy on-line 6 boxes at a time. o:)
  • sineadc94
    sineadc94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love green tea and I think why people find it bitter is they don't brew it correctly. It's meant to be brewed at 80 degrees Celsius (sorry not American have to convert that yourselves) but all that means is you put some cold water in the mug then the boiling and then put the tea bag/infuser in. My favourite green tea flavour at the moment is a strawberrys and cream one makes it so much easier to get more water into me throughout the day. Hope this helps!