I want to lose 80lbs and live healthier! Looking for a strong support system!

Options
I need to lose 80lbs as I am not as healthy as I need to be. I have a 2 year old son who depends on me to help him with physical therapies and to get him up and walking again. And in order for me to do this without back pain and running out of breath, I need to lose this weight.I have a sweet tooth from hell and that's my downfall. It's not that I eat huge amounts of food I just eat all the wrong foods and I eat when I'm bored.. Tips on kicking these habits?

Replies

• MEat40forge
    MEat40forge Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you tried not buying the snack foods whilst grocery shopping.

Perhaps shop for groceries right after a meal.
  • MEat40forge
    MEat40forge Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also have a goal to lose 50 to 80.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 80lbs as I am not as healthy as I need to be. I have a 2 year old son who depends on me to help him with physical therapies and to get him up and walking again. And in order for me to do this without back pain and running out of breath, I need to lose this weight.I have a sweet tooth from hell and that's my downfall. It's not that I eat huge amounts of food I just eat all the wrong foods and I eat when I'm bored.. Tips on kicking these habits?

I love sweet things and from past experience the only way to defeat my sweet tooth is find substitutes that don't cost me a tone of calories but satisfy the craving. While I don't really do the Atkins thing anymore i did find their energy bars filled a sweet tooth while providing decent protein. I also make jello low cal puddings with 1% milk. they make a good treat for less than 100 calories (you can also get them pre made ) Aside from that i replaced sugar in my coffee and tea with stevia, and i stopped all pop (though i did find at the beginning Coke zero and Pepsi max helped) also a couple of hard candies to suck on doesn't add up too much but gives you the sweet reward. . measure and weigh what you eat and track accurately, drink lots of water. it takes some time but your body adapts to the different diet and the sweet craving subsides . I fell off the wagon for various reasons and am back starting over with 50 lbs to go myself. good luck with the journey ( a two year old should help you burn lots of calories anyway;) )
  • P1ayer
    P1ayer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just started too, thought I had a massive sweet tooth- watching the movie 'that sugar film' was a huge eye opener... I try substitute lollies (sweets) for nuts and fruit... Seems to be working so far! Though still early days for me :)
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    P1ayer wrote: »
    I've just started too, thought I had a massive sweet tooth- watching the movie 'that sugar film' was a huge eye opener... I try substitute lollies (sweets) for nuts and fruit... Seems to be working so far! Though still early days for me :)

watch the nuts, i love em but they have huge calorie numbers. my problem is if i sit down with a can of dry roasted nuts when i stand up they are gone.... and so is my days goal by a mile
  • kimloux
    kimloux Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth, too... like, I could live off of gummy candies if, you know, I could actually live eating only gummy candies. I'm trying to make healthier choices, and hope the weight comes off as a bonus to these choices. I'm making more of an effort to eat fruit in place of candy and everything, but sometimes you just need a piece of chocolate or a cupcake. If I want something, I don't tell myself no, but I try to find a healthier alternative (fruit, sugar-free candy/chocolate, half a slice of cake/cupcake, etc.) so that I'm not making myself miserable. I think of how guilty I'll feel if I over-indulge, and how satisfied I feel when I'm met my goals for the day/week/etc. and made it another day making healthier choices.

I also brush my teeth and keep myself from eating after 8PM, because that's when I seemed to binge/indulge the most and take in the most of my unnecessary calories.

And, as per usual, I carry a water bottle around with me everywhere. Seriously, EVERYWHERE. I have a water bottle at my desk at work, in my car, by my bed, and another one that I carry with me throughout the house. A lot of my cravings go away once I've topped off my stomach with a few sips of water and I'm too sloshy to even think about food.

Best of luck to you! I'll probably send you a friend request because I'm also looking for a support system on here :smiley:
  • princess_tae
    princess_tae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hey sweetie wishing you the best of luck
  • alicia_kay09
    alicia_kay09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried not buying the snack foods whilst grocery shopping.

Perhaps shop for groceries right after a meal.

Snacks always end up in the shopping cart regardless. It is like an impulse or addiction, rather. I have to learn to fight the urge to eat the sweets, but it is soo hard!

Thanks for the tips guys! I am definitely going to give them a try! :) I am willing to try anything at this point!
  • leesea1968
    leesea1968 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I use to drink approximately 4 20oz bottles of Pepsi a day. I started cutting back each day during November last year. I have been "Pepsi free" since December 6th. My breakfast consisted of Fritos and
    M & M's. No more. I have an omelet or protein shake now. It has been hard but if you put your mind to it you CAN do anything.